German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how much and how often to feed my german shepherd puppy? I have never owned a gsd before and cant really remember how much I gave my other dog when he was a puppy.. Im not sure if my breeder will tell me about that when I go to pick him up but im not sure, also do I have to feed him puppy dog food or is just regular adult food okay to give him? And one more thing should I put water in the dog food and pop it in the microwave to make it softer? The breeder told me to do this just so it would be easier for him to eat I did that with my Golden Retriever when he was a puppy. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
How much depends on what kind of food you'll be using. Caloric density varies widely between brands. Some people use large breed puppy formulas, some go right to adult or all life stages foods. You can add water if you choose, but you don't need to, and I don't see any reason to microwave food, he should be perfectly capable of chewing puppy kibble.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Whatever kind of food you choose just check the feeding guidelines on the bag. I add a little bit of water to all the kibble I feed mine just because it prevents her from eating so fast , with some water in there it slows her down, but you may not need to do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts