German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave my GSD a flea-med topical from Walmart last week. It didn't work so I went to the vet and got her Bravecto which is supposed to work well. The vet didn't find any fleas but found flea dirt showing that fleas go to her.

However after a couple of days it still doesn't seem to work as she is still itching. today I gave her a second dose of the Walmart topical meds. I plan on treating my yard soon and trying to clean as best as i can but not sure of what else to do....any advice?

ALSO thinking about getting her that Seresto necklace that supposed to ward off fleas but I heard some GSDs have bad reactions to those thats why i went with Bravecto.

I can't stand to see her itching especially at night.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Be very careful of giving too much toxins so soon after 2 doses. I would wait the required 30 days or so before I dose her again. Some of those flea drugs can cause seizures in some dogs. It's not something to fool around with. There's good reason the directions say only give every 30 days.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
She's still itching ... but do you see fleas? Some dogs are very allergic to flea bites and until the effects leave their system, they may continue to be itchy and irritated. I would keep an eye out for hot spots caused by the scratching. Maybe look into a medicated shampoo (talk to your vet) that has some soothing qualities in it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be very careful of giving too much toxins so soon after 2 doses. I would wait the required 30 days or so before I dose her again. Some of those flea drugs can cause seizures in some dogs. It's not something to fool around with. There's good reason the directions say only give every 30 days.
Darn. Its too late now. I guess I could wash her off, maybe I will do that. Seems like those doses are never enough, especially the cheap stuff from walmart.

Vet told me to use flea shampoo which I already do. Bravecto was my last hope and I was told by the vet it works immediately and she should stop itching. I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see what else I can do though.

·
Registered
703 Posts
try a little cortisone on the flea BITES. They still itch long after the fleas are gone. You have 2 separate issues - the fleas themselves and the bites they leave behind.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try a little cortisone on the flea BITES. They still itch long after the fleas are gone. You have 2 separate issues - the fleas themselves and the bites they leave behind.
Thanks. I didn't know that. Vet (assistant) told me that the fleas and scratching would magically disappear that night. I guess that is why I got nervous and gave her more medication.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I wouldn’t be too concerned with using a topical and a preventative that is eaten together. I don’t know the ins and outs of bravecto, how long it takes to work, how effective it is, or the recommended doses and safe levels. I would look to seee how long it takes to start working and use something else in the meantime that is fast acting. I’ve found advantus to be highly effective at getting rid of fleas in a few hours. I would give a daily dose until the bravecto was to suppose to start working. I would also treat my house for fleas, especially the soft surfaces. Worms may also be an issue if there were fleas.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Stop using the drops from WM please. They don't work very well, and there are MANY reports of serious adverse reactions. I would wash it off (using a shampoo that helps with skin allergies, as the dog is possibly having a reaction to the bites).

Bravecto does work (well). But if you have allergic dermatitis secondary to flea bites, that needs to be dealt with. Fleas have to bite for Bravecto to work (then they die, without reproducing, which stops the infestation, causing them to go away). However, those bites trigger allergic reactions in some dogs.

Bravecto starts working in just 2 hours. However the flea eggs that were ALREADY on the dog before you gave it (and on the floorboards, under furniture, etc), and the larvae that already hatched and cocooned all around the house, will still go through the lifecycle of growing into biting fleas....and then die, finally breaking the cycle. BRAVECTO®(FLURALANER) | Target the flea cycle
(scroll through the life cycles to see why it's a 2-3 month process to finally be rid of all of them).

If there are fleas on the dog, there are flea eggs in your home and/or yard. It's not a one-and-done process getting rid of them.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
You know how when a mosquito bites you, the mosquito is long gone but the itching remains?
That’s what happens when fleas bite your dog.

Reactions: Catrinka

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there are fleas on the dog, there are flea eggs in your home and/or yard. It's not a one-and-done process getting rid of them.
to make it worse i saw my cat scratching around her ears as well. tomorrow I am going to give my dog a nice bath and wash off some of the topical... hopefully that will help.

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
to make it worse i saw my cat scratching around her ears as well. tomorrow I am going to give my dog a nice bath and wash off some of the topical... hopefully that will help.
it’s absorbed by now.
had it been sooner, Dawn likely would have done the trick, the catch however, it can be drying which in turn causes itching.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I called my vet and I was told it might take a week... for the full effects of Bravecto to kick in. She prescribed a dosage of Cephalexin, an antibiotic, and Prednisone, an anti-inflammatory.

Anyone have any experiences with either?

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
unless i’m misunderstanding what’s going on... i would not put my dog on an antibiotic or steroid for simple flea bites. bathe her with a soothing shampoo and wait. if anything, benedryl.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
She prescribed a dosage of Cephalexin, an antibiotic, and Prednisone, an anti-inflammatory.

Anyone have any experiences with either?
What is the vet going by over a phone call that leads her to believe that there's a skin infection that warrants antibiotics? The prednisone will make a fast improvement in the itching and any skin issues, but I would only resort to both these meds if absolutely necessary and after trying an anti-itch shampoo (my vet recommends Phyto P) and making sure flea problem is resolved (including any infestation in home, yard, or other pets). You'd mentioned the cat scratching his ears so is there a possibility that your dog continues to get fresh flea bites?

My experience with Bravecto is that it works well and quickly. But I don't think Bravecto repels fleas (I could be wrong here) like a product like Vectra 3D. If your dog continues getting fresh bites, you may need to try a different flea preventative.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
unless i’m misunderstanding what’s going on... i would not put my dog on an antibiotic or steroid for simple flea bites. bathe her with a soothing shampoo and wait. if anything, benedryl.
What is the vet going by over a phone call that leads her to believe that there's a skin infection that warrants antibiotics?
not sure. I am actually going to go pick up the meds now.

Actually I am going to do what you said and try shampoo first. The vet recommended a brand available through her called Equishield however she also said that I could use anti-itch shampoo available commercially.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gave the predisone 10mg twice a day after the bath. Seemed to work really well. I think its a combination of dry skin & flea bites that was bothering her. Nice to see her sleep without scratching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts