German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Our pup is 12 weeks old. I have started taking her on walks in our neighbourhood, staying away from the parks right now until she has all her shots.

Question is I don't know how long of a walk we should going on. Sometimes she makes it to our neighbours drivway and wants to go back home, I encourage her to go further and she does. But time wise should it 15 mins or 30 mins?

Any thoughts are appreciated or what others have done with their pups at this age.

Thanks
Sashas_mommy

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I went with the dog's attitude, just like kids there are times they have excess energy and they need more or days they're lazy and need less.

I would only walk as far as the puppy can easily, if they're still brightly walking beside you its ok, if they're starting to lag or show signs of stress then we'd head back.

Exercise is important and good for their health and wellbeing but so if knowing their limits :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got schooled by both my vet and the trainer for walking my pup too long (he is 5 months). They both advised that the pup's bones are still growing, so a long walk (I was doing an hour at lunchtime and an hour after work every day) is too much and could cause health problems when he is older. The vet advised that it would be better to give a couple shorter walks (4 or 5 blocks or so) a day until he is older and has had a chance to develop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts