German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2 GSDs. My female, I would give her an hour long hike every morning, a short 20 minute walk in the evenings and a longer 2-3 hour hike a couple of times a week and she was fine.

My current dog is a male GSD, he's 10 1/2 months old. He seems to need a lot more exercise. I've been trying to be careful because of his age - I don't want to risk hip dysplasia - but I've recently upped his runs to a 90 minute hike in the morning, a 20 minute walk after lunch, a play session in the late afternoon and a short walk after dinner. He also gets a 2-3 hour play session with other dogs a couple of times a week.

Any reason he needs more exercise? Male vs. female? Or is it just part of the natural variation in the breed?

I'm not complaining - he is helping me to become more fit. But I was just curious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’ll be interested to see the replies here. My 11 month old male never seems to get tired. I regularly walk him 2-3 times a day, for a total of between 4-6 miles a day according to the app on my phone. Along with that, we do a multiple training and play sessions daily. He never seems to get tired or disinterested in playing or going on adventures. I’m sure if it was up to him he’d chase the flirt pole or his retrieve toys till he dropped from exhaustion. He’s the same with swimming, he just keeps going until I get nervous and call him in. I’m not sure it’s even possible to tire my pup out, but I have always had it in the back of my mind that too much exercise can be bad for young dogs. Mine seems to thrive on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
My big-boy is pretty chill. If I am willing to come out and play, he is too. He loves a good weekend adventure, less for the mileage or exercise but for the variety of things to look at and smell. We can do a 5 mile walk everyday unless humidity is high. He is 6 and a half years old and I think he'd be happy with a daily 3 mile walk and some playing fetch and OB games in the yard.

My female is smaller and agile. She just turned 5. She can handle about the same amount of exercise but would love to play and play and play in the yard rather than walk for miles (unless it is a new and novel place). I still take her for long walks and spend some time with fetch and OB games in the yard.

It is important to show our dogs how to relax. As much as they want to catch the ball 1000 times or play tug until your back hurts it isn't good for either of you.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Recognizing there can be variations in drive among working line and show dogs alike, I'd say a young, medium-to-high drive working line puppy is very tough to "tire out." A garden variety walk around the block or several blocks usually ain't gonna do it. A moderate paced hike might not do it either.
My current two did not so much "tire out" as they developed a more reliable "off" switch. It has also helped that my wife has been working from home, and they are not crated for any significant time all day. So they have a little less pent up energy by evening, as opposed to a situation where one returns from work and the dog has either been resting or crated for a significant time.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm the 3rd one on this thread with a 10 month old male. I also have a 6 year old male.
Half hour hike (unleashed in woods not leashed on the sidewalk, they get way miles more in that half hour than a leash). Old argument but leash walking is generally not "exercise" in terms of wearing them out. It's maintenance or mind work.

15-30 minutes twice more during the day including some tug, fetch or flirt pole (brand new to me and a revelation!) and a longer run at 5-6:00 before their dinner. Sometimes a quick outing around 8 just to stretch and a pee and a final walk every night at 11:00. So out 5-6X per day.

Weekends are no different other than longer hikes in different places but it's been getting harder and harder to get on trails without people due to COVID and I want my dogs off leash, sniffing, chasing critters, splashing in creeks, jumping logs etc

Every single day, every weather, sickness and health (mine) for 40 years.
They can survive on less but thrive on more.

·
Registered
782 Posts
For my ten-month old, I usually had 2-3 periods of 30 minutes to an hour run around (the times were really varied), training, and play a day. Walking a few miles and bike heeling every couple of days. Sometimes little walks around the block and quick run arounds/playtimes.

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
25 Posts
With our two girls, we give them 2-3 sessions a day with Gappay balls, we purchased 3, so we have the luxury of one in hand at all times...each session lasts anywhere from 10-20 minutes, we stop when their run turns into a trot, and their tongues are hanging out the side of their mouth....
It's really calmed them down, and gives them the exercise and pleasure they need and enjoy, it allows for a deeper form of exercise then just walking....
Picture of them with their Gappay Balls, and exhausted from running
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With our two girls, we give them 2-3 sessions a day with Gappay balls, we purchased 3, so we have the luxury of one in hand at all times...each session lasts anywhere from 10-20 minutes, we stop when their run turns into a trot, and their tongues are hanging out the side of their mouth....
It's really calmed them down, and gives them the exercise and pleasure they need and enjoy, it allows for a deeper form of exercise then just walking....
Picture of them with their Gappay Balls, and exhausted from running View attachment 564795
your girls are gorgeous. I will check out the gappay balls online.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.