German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just noticed I had my RAW amounts worked out entirely wrong...

This is what I had orginally planned and posted and every said it seemed okay... but it seemed like quite a bit for an 8 week old pup.

RMB – 12.6 oz
MM – 14 oz
OM – 1.4 oz

Going by Lauri's formula, let's say an active pup (7-8 on her scale) that weighs 20lbs would get 3.00% of the pups body weight, which in this case would only be .6 lbs... Originally, I was looking at 1.8 lbs... 3x the amount he needs.
I just need someone to clairify my numbers for me... I guess the first thing I need to know is how much a typical 8 week old male pup weights. I'm portioning and then freezing his OM tonight, so wanted to check my numbers and see I'm really off... or at least I think I am :)

Guessing an 8 week old pup would weight about 20lbs, that would change my numbers from those up above to:

RMB - .27lbs
MM - .3 lbs
OM - .03 lbs

Can someone help me here, because now I'm completely confused, when I thought I had it down pat as far as weighing out the portions and daily totals... grr....

:help:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wsa trying to finish up and time ran out...

This is what I would feed a 20lb pup? it seems so little... at least to the 1.8 lbs I had originally planned :)

RMB - .27lbs or 4.32 oz
MM - .3 lbs or 4.8 oz
OM - .03 lbs or .48 oz

And that's for the entire day!

At 2 meals per day, that equals:

RMB - 2.6 oz
MM - 2.4 oz
OM - .28 oz

Please tell me I'm wrong... lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And then if I'm using tripe...

it's 45% RMB, 30% MM, 20% Green Tripe and 5% organ mean which should be:

RMB - .27lbs or 4.32 oz
MM - .18 lbs or 2.88
GT - .12 lbs or 1.92
OM - .03 lbs or .48 oz

Sigh... when I thought I had it all worked out right, now I'm doubting everything and my pup comes home in 3 days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do mine off his expected/ideal adult weight and it's been going really well.

When Spartacus came home he was 17.6lbs @ 9 weeks and then just monday went to the Vet and he was 26.6 lbs. So to avoid all that, i'd just go with adult weight. I am doing it with a expected weight of 85lbs. So i'm doing 2.5% of that. And it's been going well.

Also, tripe is not added to those calculations. I use that as just a throw-in. Just give 2oz daily.

My calculation is 45%RMB, 50%MM and 5%Organ with 1/2 of that as liver.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Use his expected ADULT weight, not his puppy weight :)

If the portions are too large for him to handle, you can always pick it back up and refreeze for next time. Dogs don't care one whit if it's pre-gnawed :rolleyes:

You can make it a little easier on yourself by spreading it out over a week or so. They don't need all three varieties (RMB, MM and OM) every single day. I like to give OM with RMB to keep stools balanced (RMB make firmer stools, OM make looser ones), but otherwise, I try to make up a prey animal over the course of a week or so.

Say you expect an 80-lb dog, then you can feed 2 lbs/day. So buy 14 lbs for the week.

Of that 14 lbs:

~7 lbs should be RMB
~6 lbs should be MM
~1 lb should be OM (liver/kidney/lungs) and "miscellaneous" as Lauri describes on her site

You can take all that, split into 14 freezer bags (if you're feeding 2x/day), and voila! You're all set.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with JackandMattie, doing a weekly calc is best.

Also organ meat is one meal, don't split it and make sure it's fed with RMB. MM can be fed alone.

What i do is MM in the morning with salmon oil and coconut oil. This is where i add my tripe. Night mean is where i do OM and RMB.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I bought and bagged 400+lbs of food and bagged them into 3lb bags... figuring 2lbs per day, a bag of RMB and MM every 3 days. This way I can take some out of the freezer every couple of days. The OM is in snack size ziplocks. So that worked out well. I just had a brain fart and for some reason, the amount's didn't make sense all of a sudden.

I just hope our pup isn't allergic to anything I bought already :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts