German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PICKED UP THE MAIL TODAY AND MY YEARLY DETAILED REPORT FROM UFA(UNITED FARMERS OF ALBERTA) WAS IN THERE.I SWEAR MY HEART DID A FLIP AND TOOK OFF LIKE A RACEHORSE.EEEK,I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO LOOK BUT I HAD TOO.THIS IS THE STORE WHERE I GET ALL MY ANTIBIOTICS,MEDS,DEWORMERS,FOOD,BRUSHES,LUMBER AND WIRE FOR PENS,ITEMS FOR DOGHOUSES ,CHICKEN AND HORSE PELLETS YOU NAME IT.PRETTY MUCH THE ANIMAL STORE.THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE VET FEES OR XRAYS SAY FOR ACEROS/OSO'S HIPS OR EYES OR HAY FOR THE SHEEP ECT.MY HUSBAND WOULD KILL ME IF HE KNEW THIS WAS WHERE SO MUCH OF MY MONEY WAS GOING.AND THIS TOTAL IS JUST FOR HAVING THESE DOGS AND ANIMALS AS PETS AND NO I DO NOT BREED OR MAKE ANY MONEY OFF THEM .SO ANYWAYS THE GRAND TOTAL FOR 2009 TO 2010 WAS $8993.22 :eek::eek::eek:YOU DO NOT REALIZE WHEN YOU ARE MAKING MANY SMALL PURCHASES DAILY BUT WHAT A SHOCK WHEN YOU SEE THE TOTAL.BUT I KNOW AT THE END OF THE DAY MY ANIMALS THAT I'VE MADE THE CHOICE OF OWNING ARE WELL CARED FOR.FOR EACH DOG I TOOK IN, COST ME OVER $3000 A YEAR.WE HAVE 4 STRAY CATS THAT WE TOOK IT THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE COST AS WELL. AND YOU KNOW WHAT,I REALLY DO NOT HAVE ANY REGRETS.THEY MAKE OUR FAMILY WHOLE AND I KNOW THAT I HAVE GIVEN THEM A GOOD HOME AND IN MANY CASES PROLONGED THEIR LIVES WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN FORFEIT IF LEFT IN THEIR OLD CIRCUMSTANCES.NOW IF I WERE SPENDING THAT AMOUNT ON GAMBLING OR DRINKING THAT WOULD BE AN ENTIRE DIFFRENT MATTER AND I WOULD NOT BE WRITING HERE TODAY AS MY HUSBAND WOULD HAVE MURDRED ME LONG AGO:D

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I have to say...all those capital letters with no spaces between paragraphs is really hard to read.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
so wait....$8,993.22 was for how many dogs/animals? not just 1 right?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'll tell you exactly what I tell my husband "not that much".

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats 3 dogs and 4 cats.i mean this includes bedding,housing,dog runs ect but these are all items directly related to the animals.alot of new pet owners do not include these expenses into their pet budget.but they are all necessary for a safe healthy enviroment.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll tell you exactly what i tell my husband "not that much".
ha!only too often those words come from my mouth.but as i said many times before what may be good for one may not be good for the other.so in cases like this "silence is golden"

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I honestly think I spend more than that on 1 dog and 2 cats.... going to have to total that, but with the cost of training, food, equipment, vet fees, x-rays, etc.. definitely seems like it would be higher than $3000 per dog..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say...all those capital letters with no spaces between paragraphs is really hard to read.
SORRY BUT MY KEYBOARD HAS GONE HAYWIRE AND HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN AND I CANNOT BRING MYSELF TO FORK OUT MONEY RIGHT NOW FOR AN INANIMATE OBJECT,ESPECIALLY AFTER MY UFA REPORT.PLEASE BARE WITH ME.:wild:I MEAN IF IT CAN'T,WHINE,POOP,OR THROW FOOD AT YOU IT TENDS TO RANK LOW ON THE FIX LIST

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i honestly think i spend more than that on 1 dog and 2 cats.... Going to have to total that, but with the cost of training, food, equipment, vet fees, x-rays, etc.. Definitely seems like it would be higher than $3000 per dog..
the $9000 does not include vet fees and xrays and extra stuff like that.that is only on basic day to day products,housing and feeding.

·
5,627 Posts
SORRY BUT MY KEYBOARD HAS GONE HAYWIRE AND HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN AND I CANNOT BRING MYSELF TO FORK OUT MONEY RIGHT NOW FOR AN INANIMATE OBJECT,ESPECIALLY AFTER MY UFA REPORT.PLEASE BARE WITH ME.:wild:I MEAN IF IT CAN'T,WHINE,POOP,OR THROW FOOD AT YOU IT TENDS TO RANK LOW ON THE FIX LIST
It'd be helpful it you would just put a space after a punctuation (there should be a space after a period or comma) or hit enter once in a while.

I couldn't make it through your OP because it hurt my eyes.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Hurt my eyes too. Like a knife going through them. I just added her to the ignore list. Much easier than dealing with BS.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aceros first set of xrays and check up came to $600 alone for one visit.i pay this willingly but i do have complaints.this is expensive and dog care is becoming outrageous for the average homeowner.vets can get this because there is insurance to fall back on now.just like dentists.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hurt my eyes too. Like a knife going through them. I just added her to the ignore list. Much easier than dealing with BS.
Kinda touchy and not alot of patience. If that's how he treats people who upset him/her, I wonder how he/she treats their pets? And this was over myself using caps on my post. Now wanna talk about BS?;)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Back on topic, I just tallied up my expenses. I have two dogs and two cats. I spent $8680.00 on the dogs, and $840.60 on the cats this year so far. So that's a grand total of $9520.60. $4000 of the money spent on my dogs was Rosa's hip replacement.

These figures include everything from food to toys to vet bills to the outdoor play area we built for them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I gotta back up the OP here, the comments about the typing is pretty ridiculous and irrelevant. If you open a post and it looks like something you don't wanna read then move on, why bother posting.

Now, to the original question. I think in the 5 months we've had Rambo I've spent at least $1500, not counting the pup himself (which was only $500 :))

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dragon: 520/year
Cats:2520/year
Dog:2000/year
Unconditional Love: Priceless

This is including the fact that all my animals(including the tank for the dragon) were free. This is food, vet bills, treats, and the toys that are everywhere.

Banzai(cat) had a blockage and about 1800/2520 is the vet bill alone. The kitties don't destroy they toys and don't seem to loose interest so they do get new toys, just about 1/3 of the time Shenzi gets new toys. And these are guestimates...so it very well may be higher...

·
2,967 Posts
Goodness. I know we spend a fair amount, but I don't think it's quite that much. To feed the 5 dogs it's about $1850 for the year in food, plus maybe another $500 in supplements. I use Ivomec for the heartworms which is about $35 dollars for the year. Fleas/Ticks are not rampant in our area so I probably spend about another $600 on Adavantix. We've been fortunate that everyone is pretty healthy so not much more than $1000 for Vet bills. We use what we have so I don't buy much in the way of new leashes/collars/etc.

So for the essentials we're talking about less than $1000 per dog.

However this does NOT include training, seminars, gas for dog events, etc.I know we've spent thousands on that stuff. :)

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I have recorded, 7,054.36 for two dogs this year. That includes everything, but only things i've paid credit/check for so I'm sure there's things i've left out... Like i pay cash for training which is approx $60 per month

1 - 20 of 61 Posts