German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I currently have a 6 month gsd X rescue who looks like a purebred and I've already learned so much about the breed on this site and decided that when I get my next dog I want a purebred with European lines. I live in Fairfield county CT and was wondering how much people from around here have paid for a European line GSD?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
As much as you wish to spend

Working or showline?

By European do you mean by blood or imported?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yeah imported or European lines bred and born in the US? Average is going to run you $1200+

My male was $1500 + shipping. He's DDR/Czech

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Unless its a highly rated showline and the cost of a nice car, then the price is negligible compared to the lifetime cost

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado is WG/DDR with a little Czech and was $1500

Thankfully the breeder was close enough that I was able to pick him up, though I easily spent $500 in gas going back and forth visiting :D

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I'm new to this and don't know much about lines or whether an import would be better or not? What do you think? And what's a recommended line for a family dog?

I wouldn't bother with importing. Working or show can make great pets

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm new to this and don't know much about lines or whether an import would be better or not? What do you think? And what's a recommended line for a family dog?

I'm still learning myself. I believe certain lines are desired for certain traits and behaviors. It all depends on what your looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

You can also get great dogs from US breeders right here with good German lines. You just have to research and find a breeder with the bloodlines your looking for.

I lucked into my pup. He has both West German show and working bloodlines. I got lucky and got him for $450. Good hips and health and good lines. Just got lucky.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you like to travel, you can buy a papered puppy in Germany for the going rate of 600-800 Euros (~ $800-1000). Bring the puppy back as accompanied baggage for ~$150.
It helps if you can speak German or know someone who can help you.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't think anyone is knocking imports. There are several dogs producing in the states who were imported. They produce quality pups.

OP, start looking at breeders recommended here when you search. Take note of which dogs you like and start asking questions about those dogs. Figure out what qualities you want to look for and why. How much can you handle? Do you want a low-medium energy dog or a high energy dog. Learn about drives and what you feel you can reasonably handle in terms of drive. A high drive dog can drive a novice handler crazy. You don't want to get a dog that you'll be in over your head with. Working lines tend to be "more" in terms of everything because they're bred to work. Showlines can posses the same qualities as working lines but can generally be a good idea for the first time GSD owner. Learn about the different lines. There is a lot of learning to do. Once you start figuring out what qualities you are looking for, it can really help you narrow down breeders or even if you want to bring a dog from overseas. It took me two years to figure out which breeders I love and exactly what qualities I was looking for in my puppy from a reputable breeder. Took me another year to be in a position to get that puppy. I have 7 favorite breeders on my list who specialize in working lines and one 1 does showlines and has started to cross WL/SL.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My first three GSDs are high end working lines. No problems as house pets, for what it's worth

·
Registered
371 Posts
It really breaks down to what you want. You kinda want to pay more up front. Its almost like buying a car. In general the less you pay the less you should expect. They all look nice on the outside but its whats inside that matters the most.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It really breaks down to what you want. You kinda want to pay more up front. Its almost like buying a car. In general the less you pay the less you should expect. They all look nice on the outside but its whats inside that matters the most.

I can see this point. Better saying that buy paying more for a pup your more insured of having a healthy stabil dog in the end. But don't think for a minute just buy paying more it automaticaly makes the dog foolproof. It still takes doing research on the breed, getting past customer testimonials, inspecting the dam and sire and overal conditions of the kennels your buying from. In the end, if it doesn't feel right, take a pass and keep looking. Ask the breeder about any health issues ect. A reputable breeder won't have any problem showing and talking about his lines.

Just my opinion. I look and ask about all of this. If they seem like they're dodging questions, we're done.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Hey... where in fairfield county are you?

If you're looking for a puppy... I'd suggest looking outside of this area. I'm actually getting one tomorrow coming in from Wisconsin. He's German working lines. The prices people mentioned are pretty accurate unless you want to go show line. They typically run a little more - $2000+.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trumbull, CT. Do they transport the dog to you or are you traveling there? I don't want a puppy yet but in 2 or so years I definitely want to start looking
Hey... where in fairfield county are you?

If you're looking for a puppy... I'd suggest looking outside of this area. I'm actually getting one tomorrow coming in from Wisconsin. He's German working lines. The prices people mentioned are pretty accurate unless you want to go show line. They typically run a little more - $2000+.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts