German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been anxiously awaiting my new puppy and have read posts on this website, as well as a few pup books.
My father told me a good friend of his said the puppy needs to be crated at all times, except when to potty and maybe some short play sessions but put in the crate immediatly afterwards.
I have not crated a pup, and was under the impression the puppy only would be in the crate at night and when I was gone and could not supervise.
Thanks so much for your help! All other suggestions unrelated to this or related to crate training are extremly welcome!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It really depends on the dog. My puppy won't sleep outside the crate, even when he gets too tired and starts acting out. I have to crate him so he can nap. And so I won't murder him. ;)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
During the day you can watch the pup and take him out. If you can't watch him then put him in his crate. I agree with Galathiel, that a pup can get overtired, and he needs to sleep, the crate is a good for naptime also. It is also best if the pup sleeps in his crate at night but put the crate next to your bed. The crate also teaches the pup to hold it and also to be alone. So it is good to have some daytime crate time for short periods like 30-45 minutes depending on the pup.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I crate August while I am at work, when I sleep, and when I can't watch him directly. Yes he is crated a lot, but I am the only person in my house, so as bad as I feel, I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been anxiously awaiting my new puppy and have read posts on this website, as well as a few pup books.
My father told me a good friend of his said the puppy needs to be crated at all times, except when to potty and maybe some short play sessions but put in the crate immediatly afterwards.
I have not crated a pup, and was under the impression the puppy only would be in the crate at night and when I was gone and could not supervise.
Thanks so much for your help! All other suggestions unrelated to this or related to crate training are extremly welcome!
good question i Wanted to ask this question... thanks for asking this...

·
Registered
98 Posts
It really depends on the dog. My puppy won't sleep outside the crate, even when he gets too tired and starts acting out. I have to crate him so he can nap. And so I won't murder him. ;)
Totally agree. My girl would start to act extra hyper.. That was her bring cranky and needing a nap.
They are like babies and need a ton of sleep as pups. Hard for them to sleep in a house with a lot of activity or movement. Crating throughout the day lets them get some much needed rest. Take them out to play and cuddle but if u see he is sleepy put him in and let him rest :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts