German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read the more I realize that my GSD may not protect my family as I hoped. I have read that a dog "MUST" be specially trained for protection in order for it to "protect". As mentioned in previous post, our GSD (6 months old) is a family pet and there are no current plans for protection training.

My question is:

Without any protection training, how much can be expected from my dog in terms of protection?
For example, if someone broke into our home in the middle of the night, would our GSD dog attack the intruder or lick him/her to death? I understand that the answer to this question will vary greatly from dog to dog.

The reason we purchased a GSD (maybe a bad reason) is because of their natural abilities to protect/guard their pack/herd/home.

My previous GSD (RIP) was never trained for protection and was a wonderful guard dog. Thankfully, he was never tested with an actual intruder while we were home in the middle of the night. He did chase out a burglar in the middle of the day once. Came home with an open front door and my dog sitting at the door waiting. The dog broke a window (dog left outside while we worked) to chase the intruder out the front door. The door had been kicked in by the intruder.

Ps: this post is also on a different forum.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
My family has had GSD and they were never trained for protection, but they were very protective. In fact a friend came over and was wrestling with one of the children and the GSD put a stop too it real quick. They have a protective nature. I think talking about your first dog who broke in the window to chase someone out if your house is your answer. Don't you? Just a thought.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
The first thing is just someone knowing you have a GSD is protection. I grew up in AC with a lot of "characters" that would come to the basketball court next to where we lived. Trust me word spreads real quick that you have a GSD. So anyone with a thought to do anything like breaking in or vandalize won't take a chance.....

Your GSD should naturally bark. If your not home and someone tries to enter hearing a bark makes them stop. If someone breaks in while you are home your GSD will protect. They just will. Again someone seeing a GSD if they ever got in your house won't take a chance. They will run ASAP. That was/is actually my biggest fear. Not protection. But that some idiot while I am not at home tries getting in. Sees my GSD and runs leaving the door or window open for him to get out. But I live in a good area so there is really little chance of that....

(edit) You could also put up on your property one of those signs you can get on e-bay. If has a GSD pic with the words I can make it to the fence in 2 seconds can you??.....

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
There are some that will run and some that will be happy to see whoever comes through the door/window, but imop, most will offer "some" protection. Even a fearful dog will usually be alert and bark which is good deterrent. The same dog may attack the intruder as well, even if its only an act of self preservation. The best way to know for sure is to train your dog for that purpose.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Im not knowledgeable about the protective training (including akc/bloodline ect) side of things (this isnt the right place for a rant :p) but i do own a 'pet' gsd who is apart of my family. Hes had no training higher then the standard.

He does protect ME, ive seen evidence of this.
When ever someone shouts at me he does bark.

If i got shouted at on the street and someone came up to me kai put himself between the both of us and gave the most dirty look ive ever seen haha (this has happened once)

When the door goes or post comes he runs up to the me then the door barking (letting me know i guess)

When someones in our drive he will just stare at them through the window until theyre gone

and when my brothers play fight he will always intervene and bark to stop it.

Im just saying yes theyre is 'protection' in his personality but he wouldnt bite or chase a guy who broke into our home, more like welcome them and show them around haha

It depends on the personality of the dog (imo)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
It REALLY depends on the dog. My first PB GSD, great dog. Did very well with people. Someone broke into my house shortly after I put my daughter to bed a few years ago. My husband was gone at training. The dogs heard something, I was reaching for my baseball bat and headed toward the sound. My backdoor slammed open (it HAD been locked) and I watched as this large figure started walking into my house. Zena let out this growl that would scare the pee outta anyone and when this person started getting closer she was after him.

My current adult GSD, nope. She doesn't care. She doesn't bark, growl, react, nothing.

It depends on the dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts