German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD intact male is now 14 months old. He is about 70lbs and 25" at the shoulder. However, his dad is 107lbs. He has that teenage skinny thing going on right now and I expect him to fill in.

How much more weight, height and length can he develop after 14 more months? He's no small dog but I did expect him to be a bit larger than this. I know that they fill out until 2 or 3 but does that include height?

Just curious. I'll attach a couple of pics. I think he's a handsome guy ;)

Ugh. Not sure why the first pic is crooked.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very good looking dog, he looks big to me, however, from the experience that I got from the fellas in the forum, he still has more to grow.

To be honest I have the same concern almost, my dog is 7 months and he looks big, weight isn’t that much of a matter to me as long as he is not under weight , but hight as well as body structure is. My same question about my dog would be how much bigger is he going to get.

Enjoy your dog he looks fantastic

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
At 14 months, he should be done growing UP. His growth plates should be closed or very close to full closure. If he remains in tact, his chest will broaden and he will gain muscle as he matures. I would say 85# as an adult?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also think he is a handsome guy. My first shepherd "experiment" is 20 months old so I have nothing to offer in terms of growth patterns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok. I was definitely expecting a larger male given the size of his parents and I have been feeding him exactly as instructed by the breeder. But 85lbs is certainly not a small dog, by any means. He is definitely on the lean side and I could see him gaining a good 15lbs on his current frame without trouble carrying it. I prefer to keep my dogs on the lean side as I believe it is healthier for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts