German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had dogs all my life but as luck would have it, I’ve never personally had a female in heat in my house. I’ve never researched this before and purposely didn’t look into it before getting a female puppy (I’m a girl too and what kind of girl would I be if I held such a thing against her? 😂) but she’s not getting spayed (breeder agreement) and in a few weeks she’ll be at that age... so what am I in for? 😂
We have white carpets in the bedroom and right now the setup is she has to run across the carpet to get from the hallway to her crate. Is it time to start relocating the crate?
Ladies? is it “drippy”? Do I have to watch out if she barks or sneezes? 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had dogs all my life but as luck would have it, I’ve never personally had a female in heat in my house. I’ve never researched this before and purposely didn’t look into it before getting a female puppy (I’m a girl too and what kind of girl would I be if I held such a thing against her? 😂) but she’s not getting spayed (breeder agreement) and in a few weeks she’ll be at that age... so what am I in for? 😂
We have white carpets in the bedroom and right now the setup is she has to run across the carpet to get from the hallway to her crate. Is it time to start relocating the crate?
Maya has already had her period once before and I noticed it when she rubbing her back end against my leg and there was blood there. Not necessarily heavy dripping but if she lays down on your carpet, sits on it, scoots her butt, etc. it’ll most likely end up on there. The best thing to do is to just keep her underwear on until the bleed stops!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
A lot depends on the dog. I have had bitches you barely notice for the most part but one of my acquaintances had a bitch that could make a room resemble a slaughter house if she got her diaper off.
I don't like diapers so I use old towels and blankets to cover some areas, restrict movement a bit and keep a damp mop handy.
If she does drip on your carpet, don't mess with it. Use peroxide, undiluted and let it soak a bit then press to dry.
Shadow opens doors, thanks for that Sabs, and got on my bed. I soaked the spots in peroxide and they came right out. White cotton duvet cover because I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've used white briefs and then put the tail through the fly. You can also use boxers and safety pin the top tighter. I suppose you could put a maxipad in there, but I just changed the underwear. My females never had a heavy flow/clot/gush like I think we do. More like a diluted drip and they were always licking to clean it. I then just ran a wash of the underwear at night and left them pantless in their closed crates.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
With the first sign of a drop of blood roll up your rugs and no access on white carpet without the dog having functional panties on. Bleeding can last for two or more weeks.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
Well, blood is red. It comes out of them during a heat. Your carpet is white. Blood is not easy to get out of anything so regardless of "amount", which varies per female, it's still red blood on a white carpet. I think you can do the math on this.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've only had one female, and she came altered...but I've had success removing blood from the couch (from clipping quiks! What were you thinking!) using hydrogen peroxide. Just in case you have any bits of blood on the white carpet.

Reactions: Sabis mom and iBite

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just use doggie panties. Train her to tolerate them way before she needs them. Problem solved.
I highly doubt that will be possible 😂 she’s a bite machine... if it’s not nailed down or she can pry it loose, she’s biting it 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
My girl just finished her first heat a month or so ago. She was a bloody mess! We used the washable dog diapers and she had to wear them for about 3 weeks. I was shocked that she didnt bite at the diapers or mess with them at all. It took maybe two trips out before she knew the routine of walking in and standing still to get her diaper put on. During that time her personality was totally different also. My hyper fearless girl was a mopey, pouting lazy butt! In this pic I was baby talking the cat and she just couldnt deal with it and tried to hide under a blanket hanging out off the couch!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
Highly depends on the female. My gsd/lab It was nearly impossible to tell she was in heat. I didn't spay her until she 2.5 so she went through several heats and I may have seen a spot of blood once.

Purebred GSD we got her spayed as soon as it was healthly, it was awful. She bled a ton and smelt awful, nothing wrong down there it was just smelly while she was in the first stages of heat. She wore diapers, I think some use full little suits to prevent dogs from ripping them off. I've heard boxers work (built in tail hole) and you can use pads to soak up the blood as long as she won't rip it off and chew it up. Obviously you take that sort of stuff off when they are outside or kenneled.

My roommate's dog is a small breed dog. She's not too bad in the blood department, enough that you have blood spots to clean up but nothing crazy. She does have false pregnancies though and so twice in a row now has had to be milked.

It also isn't uncommon for young females to have a sort of "practice" split heat so you can end up with two pretty close to each other.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
My females are clean and it is rare for me to see a drop of blood.

Reactions: iBite

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
That’s why you train the dog to tolerate the doggie diaper, before you need her to have it on.
If she messes with it, correct her. Start with a few minutes of it on, progress to longer.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Well, Scarlet marches to her own drummer, and pants are not part of her plan. Beach towels, hospital pee pads, and a microfiber mop are my friends when she’s in heat. She’s only moderately messy.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Put an expensive doggie diaper on Eska. She tore it to pieces the first night.
Tried a boxer brief. She had them off within 5 minutes.
Tried a T-shirt tied tightly at the waist. Same thing.

So I've given up. She and my other female are good at licking up the drops that get on the floor, and for the rest, I keep a mop handy. NO carpets, except in the living room and she's not allowed in there.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
Faren wears a doggie diaper with a pad in it. She licks around it constantly. It keeps some of the mess contained but she cleans herself with or without it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My dog's heat was messy; drips all over the floor and on her legs. I used doggy diapers with women's disposable pantiliners so I could just replace the pantiliner and not have to wash the diapers super often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My bitch is 5 years old now and I swear we've probably missed a couple of her heats because she's so clean. She makes sure that she doesn't have any dirty bits and it's very rarely that we've ever seen any spotting. (And that's always been great until now, when we got a male puppy and will need to know if she's coming into heat!

Reactions: iBite
1 - 20 of 27 Posts