German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed your dog's food, that is assuming you have made one or more changes since he/she has lived with you.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ha--I couldn't even begin to count. Chama has been with me for 12.5 years and I'd say she's eaten at least 15 different foods/varieties.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Not sure how many different foods in the past two years. I am sure we have tried 6 or 7 different ones at least.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Three, Solid Gold to Holistic Blend to Summit by Go Naturals. I had Holistic Blend recommended to me, but eventually decided I wanted something different than just chicken or lamb.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
In Onyx' first year(We got her on Christmas)went from nutro natural lg. breed puppy(breeder recommendation)then all dogs to CSFTDLS, to RAW supplemented w TWO Ocean Blue to RAW-they will not eat TWO unless I add something to it... Now old girl Clover is having a hard time digesting, so looking to change her diet a bit...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm another one that has changed foods too often to count. Though, with the dogs I currently have, the newest ones have only switched foods two times (AvoDerm to Pinnacle).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Twice. Started with Nature's Variety and gave Solid Gold a try....meh. Good quality, but she kept losing weight and the poops never got firm. Then I tried EVO and that was a mess!! Poor girl was waddling around the yard in a squat all the time. I know you're supposed to give it a few weeks, but I couldn't put her through that so I donated the bag to a rescue after day 3 of the runs. Now we are back to NV. Our other dog was also on NV before we adopted him, and he has quite the sensitive stomach, so we are sticking with it. It keeps the weight on without excessive grains and fillers and it's not too rich for them. Kenya also gets fish and raw eggs and I am pleased with her coat. The NV line we use has several varieties that are interchangeable, meaning I can go from one bag to the next without dogs getting sick. That way, we rotate protein and carb sources every month or so. It's sort of expensive, but right now I'd rather pay more than deal with sick dogs!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I switched once. My dogs were weaned to raw, but then for convenience sake, I switched to Innova for a 2-week vacation, but then back to raw ever since.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Bought him with Diamond Puppy Kibble.
Promptly changed him to Chicken Soup Adult. Was on that from 12 weeks to 3 1/2 years old.
Recently changed to California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Adult.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I accidentally voted for twice, but now I remember it was more than that. She came to us on Pro Plan from the breeder. I had then put her on Eukanuba Lamb and Rice puppy formula. I found this site and learned more about Eukanuba and switched her to Chicken Soup. She did well on that for a while and then things went south and we switched to Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken and then a final switch to Solid Gold Wolfking which she has been on for almost a year now. Wow, I really had a brain fart if I accidentally voted for 2!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I said "other" because I didn't choose to change Gracie's food. She came here eating Chicken Soup, I changed to Canidae All Life Stages. We played the food game for several months due to digestive issues until we found out she has SIBO. She's been eating Eukanuba/Iams Low Residue Veterinary food since September '06 and I have no intention of changing that.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Nike and Brazen were both kibble fed puppies when I got them and I switched them to raw. Alexis and Vala have always been on raw so have never changed.

I guess technically Nike has switched twice. Kibble to BARF (veggie mash, supplements, RMB) and then to just raw (no veggies and very limited supplements).

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I won't count the times a Hooligan has been on vet prescribed foods for an extended period of time (LR for Kelly and Venison for Mac), just the major changes.

When I moved to Florida in 1995 I was feeding the Hooligans Pedigree and happy with the results. They changed the formula, and the puppers started looking bad with dull coats, etc. so I switched to Innova.

I fed Innova for about 8 years with a one year interval where I fed a complete, frozen, raw diet which I liked but could not afford since it ran a little over $500 a month. Okay, back to the Innova. Again, the dog's coats started looking poor, I found out some minor changes had been made to the formula so I switched to Chicken Soup.

I was happy with the Chicken Soup until a couple Hooligans started having gunky ears which I took care of with Zymox and one was getting a dull coat. I found out that the formula had been modified so I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic fish food which they're currently eating and so far doing well on it. I changed wet food recently to EVO since I had been looking for a 100% meat formula as a little treat at meal time (it's 95% meat which is the best I've found) but they only share 1/6 of a can so they don't get much.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We've changed their food severeal times, because we have picky eaters....Anyone else got a picky eater, and what do you do about it? Keep changing food?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When we adopted Sean he wouldn't eat anything, we tried multiple types of food. I'm sure part of it was due to the stress of being abandoned and brought in as a stray. I can't even remember the brand of dog food we started out with but it did contain preservatives. The brand we finally switched to and have been happy with ever since is Solid Gold but we definitely used more than 3 brands.

G

·
0 Posts
Well I first started feeding dogs back in the '60s. Of course my folks were buying the food then, but it was my job to make sure all the dogs were fed and groomed. I also was first to notice anything that could be a problem for them and made sure my dad knew. In those days we fed the dogs Blue Seal. It was commonly available at local farm feed stores and a good value then. We had no health problems for decades. Then in the early '90s I had two dogs in row develop cancer.

Sieg died very quickly from lymphatic cancer but I was able to save Willie from lung cancer (yes, lung cancer and I don't smoke) by recognizing the signs in time and aggressive chemo treatment. When Willie got sick I was so confused as to how this could've happened to two dogs in a row I asked my vet what she thought. She told me that she didn't want to go down on record as saying so but that alot of empirical evidence was suggesting it was low grade dog food. Evidently Blue Seal had declined over the years and I was unaware of both that and what effect it could have on my dog. I switched to Eukanuba and had no more trouble for years. Down south I found it hard to find where I was and switched to Sunshine Mills Holistic Dog Food because it had great ingredients at a good price which was important when I was so very broke then. Then the recalls hit and Sunshine Mills was on the list. It was their biscuits and not their dog food but I didn't want to take the chance. I had just moved back to Vermont and needed a new dog food anyway so I chose California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato since it's made by Natura, the same folks who make Innova (the best dog food there is probably but beyond my price range at the time) and was less expensive although still not cheap. I was also interested in seeing what effect the fish would have since Odin had had skin and coat issues crop up recently. It was a very wise decision. All the dogs flourish on it and Odin's problems are just a memory now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My critters get a different food every time we open a new bag. We revolve through several foods, all holistic, but we're constantly changing their diet. Pet nutritionalists that I've talked to highly recommend changing their foods because they can get the different elements from each type. In the wild, dogs will eat chicken, beef, fish, venison, etc... each type of food has different types and levels of nutrients. In this regard, changing their food gives them a well-rounded diet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We've changed Beau's food twice, and we've only had him a few months. He was sent to us on Diamond, but once he was here, he still didn't have solid poop after 2 weeks.

Then we tried Nutro Lamb and Rice, and not only did he not want to eat it, he would throw up daily.

We're in the process of trying to find him a good food, that he will actually eat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've only changed Meeka once. She came at 11 weeks old on iams, and I decided to use diamond dry kibbles. She started with their puppy formula and at 6 or 7 months she switched to their high energy formula. She hasn't ever given us any trouble as far as being "finiky".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts