German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
How many times do you have to clean up the floor by the water bowl?! Messy drinkers, they are!

·
Registered
553 Posts
All....day......long.....I can't keep count of how many time I refill the bowls. Kenya used to play in her bowl, but she's finally outgrown that.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Re: how many times do u have to fill the water bow

Since our cat will only drink water out of Sean's bowl we fill it whenever it starts running low, never stopped to count how many times it was but I'm guessing a lot.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts

I rinse and refill it at breakfast and dinner. Sometimes I need to do it mid-day --- depends on how much dirt ends up in there when we come in for playing.

Are you concerned your dog is drinking too much/too little? When Gracie gets allergy medication she drinks more water. When it's hot out she drinks more water. If you feel it is in excess, discuss it with your vet - many possible scenarios.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1661&articleid=716

There are many different factors that affect the needed intake of a dog, cat, puppy or kitten - so many that it is always wise to provide access to water at all times so that the animal can regulate its consumption as needed. A general rule of thumb is that an animal needs to consume 2.5 times the amount of water, as its daily intake of food. If an animal eats 2 lbs. of dry food it should consume 5 lbs. of water. (There are 8 lbs. in a gallon.) If he eats 4 oz. of dry food, he should drink 10 ounces of water (1¼ cup). Factors such as high heat and exercise or lactation can increase the needed amount two or three times above normal. Most animals consume more than their daily requirement. A little extra water consumption never hurts, but too little can be catastrophic. Animals that eat canned foods get most of their moisture from the food and may drink much less than an animal on dry food.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts

Never really paid attention to it, but I would say Rocky probably goes through 2-3 bowls per day.

Wiping up the floor would be every time he drinks, but of course that would mean trying to dry the carpet also. I swear he keeps water in his mouth to drip all over the place LOL

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

We have 3 water bowls one on main floor, one in basement and one out back, all filled daily (and sometime 2 times.) for just Jesse and 2 cats.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts

i have one bowl inside, and two bowls outside. my backdoor is usually left open, but they still prefer the inside bowl. i fill it twice a day, the outdoor bowls get dumped and filled once a day. both dogs and 2 cats share.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts

I have small buckets - each dog has one in a crate, then bigger ones in the outside pens, and one I keep in the bathtub because if it gets low, the cats dump it on the floor! I fill it once or twice a day, refresh the crate ones before I go to work in the am, and the pens when I come home and put dogs out. They rotate in house/pens so everyone has free time out and house time every evening.

Lee

·
Registered
107 Posts

We have one bowl on the patio and one in the kitchen. I never kept track, but I fill them both at least 3-4 times a day but they all share, so with 5 doggie mouths and 2 kitty mouths, that sounds about right! We keep gallon containers we refill with water in the fridge because they like their water cold, according to DH!!

·
Registered
27,243 Posts

We have a SS bucket 2 x per day fillup and an outdoor one I just clean and fill every morning. 3 dogs drinking. If the source goes empty they will go to the koi pond, and that is a big no-no!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts

Otto's bowl gets refreshed about every hour. I never give him much because, well, he's 8 weeks old, he plays with his dish and I learned my lesson his first day here that what goes in, must come out and it comes out quick!

Morgan's big giant stainless steel bowl gets changed 2x a day. It's rarely empty, in the summer, she drinks out of the kiddie pool constantly. Even if she has a water bowl, she drinks out of the pool so I change THAT every day.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDgirlALtwice ... in the am and pm
same

sometimes more if he's active out in the heat

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Constantly. The Big Kids have their big ceramic water bowl that gets filled twice a day. The very little puppy has tiny water bowls (one is an actual coffee cup, plus there's two bowls about the same size) that the Big Kids think have FAR superior-tasting water in them because they will run past the big bowl to empty her bowl. They can barely fit their noses in it, but they drain them dry.

And like Jenn's dogs, they love to drink the kiddie pool water.
So I empty and refill it every day. The grass looks great!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
About 2 to 3 times per day and it's a pretty big bowl. And when we are outside, the outside bowl gets filled up and if anything is left when we go in, it gets dumped out, and then refilled when we're out again.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We have a 5 gallon water bowl system thingy in the backyard. We just got that yesterday. The other bowl we have we only changed once a day. They don't normally drink it all. When they were smaller it seemed like we had to do it 4 times a day. but since they went on a raw diet it has slowed down. ?? Not sure why.

·
Registered
601 Posts
In the house, Meb and Shay each have their own elevated food/water dishes. They each get fresh water and food morning and night. I have noticed since the hot weather, the water may be almost empty during the day. Outside my dogs drink from the pond and if they are in the outside kennel we have a 3 gallon stainless steel bucket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts