German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Penny will be 6 months old in 6 days, I train twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) for about 10 minuets and random OB during our two one hour walks. As for tricks, well I havent really taught any, I feel like Im lacking as by this age Diesel already knew; stay with a treat on her nose, high five left and right, give paw left and right, play dead, and sit pretty. Penny only knows shake paw and she doesnt do it consistently, so I need to start training some more tricks now.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
All the time for obedience :)

Tricks are done a few times a week

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Constant training at home and when out and about. I kinda sorta raise them on the NILIF concept in a loose way as the age and prove themselves.

Formal training at home happens about 4-5 times per week.

Formal training with friends happens about 3-4 times per week.

Formal training with the club happens about 1-2 times per week (more in the spring/summer).

My dogs are 4 and 2 and both do some sort of training, Zefra more so.

We train in schH, agility, obedience always for both and whatever else is going on in the area. We have a herding clinic coming up so that is something we are working on now (mostly with Stark).

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
'Training' is an ongoing learning process. It happens everyday in many different situations and circumstances.

Stupid pet tricks on the other hand are more session oriented. I do about ten minutes worth.

Some obedience is also session oriented, but I keep that short too.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I go to club or private training 4 days a week...train 10 minute sessions almost every day if life doesn't interfere! I put 3000 miles on my van in the past 5 weeks/most of it for training travel.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Deja, 4 yrs, training in SchH. She trains daily from a short 5 minute session to a full day including all three phases.

Elena, almost 2 years, training in SchH. Obedience 3 days per week, tracking 3-4 days per week. Protection 2 days per week (sometimes 3). Sessions vary in length.

Two different dogs despite being 1/2 sisters. Deja needs the daily work. Elena doesn't.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn (about to be 5) gets basic OB constantly through the day, maybe a formal session if he starts slacking off in one area or another. We're slowly picking back up SAR training. Now it's about twice a week for as long as I can do it for.

Abi (non-GSD, 12-ish weeks) get multiple OB sessions through the day, plus NILIF, so she's a constant as well.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Basically every day.
Obedience - every day on our afternoon walks
Tracking - every other day _early_ in the morning (before work)
Protection - once or twice a week, but I work on secondary obedience at home with the sleeve as a toy reward

For obedience - if I do less than every day his obedience is hectic and uncoordinated.
For tracking - if I do less than twice a week his motivation to get to the end disrupts his concentration.

I know dogs that need LESS obedience otherwise they become flat. I also know dogs that need to track every single day and others than only need once or twice a week. It really depends on the dog in the end - what schedule THEY need to bring the most out of their potential

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tracking every morning (Monday - Friday) followed by 2 mile walk.
During the day (Mon-Frii) maybe one short 5-10 minute session in back garden with dumbbell and hurdle, or whatever is my focus area at the time.
Evening (Mon-Fri) Competition heeling for first part and last part of our 4 mile walk ( about 100 yrds of heeling and looping around cones). One send out and at least one or two random downs from a distance while on our walk. (Walks are all off leash so random recalls and heeling along the way)
Saturday: Club training, 9:30AM to about 12.
Sunday: Just hiking and breakfast with other doggie friends, no real training.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
WD and I are in agility regarding formal training. Training is ongoing throughout the day in interacting with him to keep him on his very own spot on the social ladder here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
'Training' is an ongoing learning process. It happens everyday in many different situations and circumstances.
That, and once or twice a week I train at my club for maximum 15 minutes. A little more often when there's a trial coming up.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Daily reinforcement of manners as needed.

Every other day goal oriented SchH based OB at home or at different parks/locations 10 to 30 minutes per dog. Working on Autumn for her CGC now.

Once a week - 1 plus hour private or small group with professional trainer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sam is about 10 1/2 months now.

When I first got him at 4 months I was doing training sessions every single day until he was maybe 8 months and from there started incorporating the commands he knows into daily life, just reinforcing each throughout the day. Right now it's usually just a few minutes to 10-15 minutes if anything at once.

I use vocal praise for the most part with things he already knows and then alternate between treats and toys.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley is almost 6 months. We train once a day for about 10 to 15 minutes. With the exception of Tuesdays, which is our class, that is for an hour.

Throughout the day he gets commands to follow. It helps reenforce the training. We train for obedience, but he has learned to shake. That was from our first training class.

My other two we got lazy with. They are smaller dogs and are really good with the basics, but as I train Riley they follow along. They are getting a refresher course. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts