German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WD is not very interested in food in the AM; kibble or raw, doesn't matter.
Would it be OK and enough to feed him once? Or maybe a little kibble in the AM?
He is on the lean side and 16 months old, intact.
And he doesn't eat chicken backs but does eat thighs and quarters. What is that all about?

·
Registered
279 Posts
my boy is same way, he won't eat in mornings. so I feed him only pm since he was 14 months. He keeps his weight steady,do not seem to be crazy hungry at pm and no morning throwing up. works fine for us, and we have more time in morning for walk and quick training.( he can be slow eater)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
The reasons why I don't feed just once a day:

1. Most of my dogs puke bile if they go too long without eating (more than 12 hours)
  2. I don't like the idea of the dogs being active with a whole days worth of food in their stomach (during the warmer weather we are much more active)
If YOUR dog can handle going 24 hours between meals then it's not a problem.

Chicken back can be very bone-y and have sharp edges. They also (usually) don't have much meat on them. Some dogs just don't like them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
raw, about 1,8 pounds per day, he is about 78 pounds at 20 months he use to be funny about food as puppy both kibbles and raw. not really picky but not finishing his food, even when I give him less. I switch him to raw about 7 months, it helped but he did not settled down until about year old. now no trouble with his food.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The reasons why I don't feed just once a day:

1. Most of my dogs puke bile if they go too long without eating (more than 12 hours)
  2. I don't like the idea of the dogs being active with a whole days worth of food in their stomach (during the warmer weather we are much more active)
If YOUR dog can handle going 24 hours between meals then it's not a problem.

Chicken back can be very bone-y and have sharp edges. They also (usually) don't have much meat on them. Some dogs just don't like them.
Aww, I have been feeding my adults once a day because I read that you did it lauri... However mine have only puked when I give them bones that are too tough to digest. So I guess its not a problem? They have enough energy during the day to do what we need.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Hans is always hungry for his evening meal, which he gets around 9 PM. 2 pounds.
In the morning and in the middle of the day he gets freeze dried raw snacks.
But he is not interested in eating a big meal at any other time except for 9 PM.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunflowers; said:
Hans is always hungry for his evening meal, which he gets around 9 PM. 2 pounds.
In the morning and in the middle of the day he gets freeze dried raw snacks.
But he is not interested in eating a big meal at any other time except for 9 PM.
Looks like a good schedule so he can digest his food overnight. And he has enough energy for the rest of the day?
If he eats a little snack do you also have to keep him quiet to prevent bloat? I don't like wasting these 2 precious morning hours waiting until he is in the safe zone.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I keep him quiet for half an hour, but that is because I need to have my coffee, or else :D
We wake up at six, he goes out, he has a handful of freeze-dried nuggets. He gets walked at 8:30.
Another handful at about one or two.

He hasn't vomited in quite a while with this schedule. But then, I have also added a lot of different supplements. Today I was thinking he takes more than I do.
Now watch me jinx myself :rolleyes:

Oh, and as for energy, I wish I had a 10th of what he has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts