Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-7

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gross poll! I know, but I'm wondering. I have one dog that goes about 4 times a day and one that goes 1-2. If you have multiple dogs (like me) I guess you'll need to average it out or just pick one of them to vote for.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Josh, you ask some of the weirdest questions, I swear. :confused:

Both of my boys poop once a day. That's it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Laren, Cody goes literally 4 times a day. he's a little s h i TTT machine. seemed a little excessive, but yet the stools look fine. i need piece of mind about my boys potty habits lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what other weird questions have i asked?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I feed orijen (not that this was part of your question), but lucy goes twice a day. Once when she wakes up and once before she goes to sleep. It's like clockwork.

When she was a puppy, for whatever reason, she would go about 3 or 4 times a day. Now it's only twice.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im jealous of all of you whose dog goes once a day! i pick up 4-6 different potties each day between the two dogs.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
im jealous of all of you whose dog goes once a day! i pick up 4-6 different potties each day between the two dogs.
How old are the dogs? Do they each go about 2-3 times a day each? What are you feeding and how much of it do you feed? Do you give a lot of snacks and treats in between meals?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I really do appreciate the poop threads, theres no one else that understands except you guys!
I was actually wondering what the average is. Since I did just recently switched over to Kirkland I have been keeping a close eye on "texture", lighter color & firm but not hard. Kiya is a poop eater so I go out with them & pick up.
2-3 poops per dog the third is always a such small turd!
Pup is probably only 2.
So for all the 1's I'm guessing they are on premium or raw food. Maybe I should reconsider my switch and go to a 5 star.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi Lucy,

Cody is the poo bandit. He's 10 months old and eats about 3.5-5 cups of TOTW each day. Treats are also consumed daily as we do train a little every day. Cody isn't always 4 times but I'd say at least 3.

Mandi the 4 year old goes 1-2 times each day.

I'm noticing no one else has voted 3-4 yet...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yeah 5 cups a day is a lot of food in addition to treats.

I was looking at the TOTW website and that's what they suggest to feed, but that seems like a lot of food. It's no wonder hes pooping so much.

I feed orijen and i only have to feed about 3 cups a day in addition to training treats, so lucy's eating a lot less than your cody. Less food in means less food coming out.

I noticed TOTW is only 375 cal/cup which really isn't much at all. I think orijens around 500 calories per cup which means you'll have to feed less. Maybe think about switching foods if you want to improve your "poop situation".

If you don't want to feed orijen, i know there are plenty of other foods out there which is much more calorie dense than TOTW. Seriously, 375 is really low. That's something i'd expect to see out of foods like pedigree and what not. Just seems really low.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
hi Lucy,

Cody is the poo bandit. He's 10 months old and eats about 3.5-5 cups of TOTW each day. Treats are also consumed daily as we do train a little every day. Cody isn't always 4 times but I'd say at least 3.

Mandi the 4 year old goes 1-2 times each day.

I'm noticing no one else has voted 3-4 yet...
:eek:

I think you might be over feeding him.

TOTW recommends 3-4 cups a day for dogs between 80-100 pounds.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sinister gets 3.5 cups a day of TOTW and he is 80 pounds

Rogue gets 3 cups a day of TOTW and he is about 70 pounds

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi again lucy, thanks for digging into this further.

I did read the bags recommendation, and served accordingly. also factoring in his exercise level for that particular day.

ive been changing food every since i got him and FINALLY he's not getting runny stools on TOTW. Im hestitatant to switch again, but perhaps just feeding a little less will do.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
laren,

i just re-checked the TOTW site. for a 80-100 pound dog that is 8-12 months, they actually show feeding 4 & 2/3 cups to 5 & 1/2 cups. so im in the range they suggest, but that doesn't mean i still couldnt be over feeding my particular dog ya know...

i'll probably just try to give him less. he is hungry enough to eat it all and still want more though, so i dont want to deprive him of the nutrients he needs either

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
:eek:

I think you might be over feeding him.

TOTW recommends 3-4 cups a day for dogs between 80-100 pounds.
Looking at their website, it looks like they suggest about 5 cups for a 10 month old around 80 pounds. Obviously it all depends on activity level, but i'm assuming a decently active dog.

Taste of the Wild : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : Wetlands Canine Formula

3 cups at 375 calories is only about 1100-1200 calories a day. Seems a little low for an active dog, but if your dogs healthy and looks healthy (and he does look great from your pictures), than i guess 1100-1200 calories is fine.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
laren,

i just re-checked the TOTW site. for a 80-100 pound dog that is 8-12 months, they actually show feeding 4 & 2/3 cups to 5 & 1/2 cups. so im in the range they suggest, but that doesn't mean i still couldnt be over feeding my particular dog ya know...

i'll probably just try to give him less. he is hungry enough to eat it all and still want more though, so i dont want to deprive him of the nutrients he needs either
Try feeding a food with more calories per cup. More calories mean less food coming in without having to deprive your pup of the nutrients he needs. It will also help in the waste department too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts