German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious if the breed in its entirety is an iffy unsure breed? My 10 month old male seems unsure of everything new right now. How many ppl actually have a completely stable dog that will accept all new things abd all new people without any problem?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
My Ari is very, very stable. But I still don't take him places that have a high chance of contacting thoughtless people who may provoke him or allow their uncontrolled dogs to get in his face.
My Akina girl is also very, very stable.... same thing though. IMO, every dog has limits.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl likes some people and others she doesn't. Anyone I welcome into the home she will accept.

Meeting someone outside the home on my property is a different matter. She doesn't like anyone she doesn't know or hasn't first been introduced to.

Just ask the Fed-Ex lady, UPS man, or the mailman.

Out on the street she will meet and greet most without problem.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I would not have an unstable dog. I would not breed an unstable dog. If I had a pup who was not stable in some way, I would not sell it. I would find the best possible home for that pup, with full disclosure and lifetime support and place it, with no papers and little to no money changing hands.

If it was a fearful dog, I am not entirely sure what I would do with it....I hope I would be strong enough to not make it suffer through a fearful life - not fair to the dog or the home.

Lee

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Anton is stable as a rock. Recently we moved from rural area to a city, from large house to an apartment, big change. Every single time we step outside we are surrounded with people, kids, dogs, cars, sirens etc. Anton is a people magnet, sometimes I want to have a walk without hearing how gorgeous he is, but he's great with that. Still hates off leash dogs in his face but who doesn't.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Rogue is 9.5 months old and very stable. I can take her anywhere, around anyone. The only thing she can get weird about is like agility stuff, certain heights and surfaces. But that's only when I make her climb on stuff and work on it. She always over comes the fear. But with people, kids and other dogs, she's amazing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
We have stability in my house. Tess is just a calm, easy to live with and handle dog. Take away her ball and quit playing fetch...she'll kill you with guilt from those eyes...

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado's completely stable around everything but dogs get him going.

For example, Canada Day last year he was 5 months old and we spent the whole day downtown. Tons of people, live bands, food everywhere and he never had any reaction to anything. He even sat through the whole firework show without batting a eye and watched the sky, falling asleep near the end. You should have seen people's faces, it was priceless :D His nickname is Mr Destructo because he doesn't hestitate at any obstacle in his path

He's a very social dog, he'll watch strangers but once he knows they're ok he's friendly with them. I wouldn't hesitate to bring him anywhere especially if I know there's no dogs

While offleash he's great with other dogs, onleash he gets excited and barks at other dogs. Still a work in progress to cap that drive

There's no such thing as a perfect dog, but good nerves are a start :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Heidi accepts new things and people now that she is a senior (not necessarily new dogs). She is more stable now than when she was young.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Diesel was very stable, only thing that got her going was strange dogs coming up to her off leash that she didnt know, if she was off leash as well there generally was no problem unless the other dog was too dominant or aggressive and then she would try to take matters into her own hands but I always stepped in before anything could happen... Penny had some fear as a younger pup but she done great the last little while, confidence has shot through the roof and new people, places, sounds, dogs ect. doesnt faze her in the least :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
My dog doesn't even know people exist unless he's known them or I'm interacting with them. He can jump out of the car and check out the area, but he'll generally just ignore people. He doesn't bark at people, just gets quiet and chesty, and stands between me and the questionable thing in the distance. When he realizes what that thing is, he calms down and ignores it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have had several. My senior Miss Mattie is a GEM, but then again she's approaching 80, so she's been there done that and couldn't care less. She's super friendly, though, and will calmly make the rounds at social events getting her love.

My young Jack is the first GSD I have ever had who has been fearful and a little iffy. After a year and a half, he is slowly but surely coming out of it. I see a fantastic dog emerging...but this is after significant work on my part.

BTW...I adopt usually older dogs, and haven't had a puppy since I was a child myself (well Jack was only 11 months so he was still one)...but I have seen several people talking about fear stages here in the forums.

Maybe your dog is going through a fear stage right now?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Im just curious if the breed in its entirety is an iffy unsure breed? My 10 month old male seems unsure of everything new right now. How many ppl actually have a completely stable dog that will accept all new things abd all new people without any problem?

Since 1986 I've had 5 GSD's, Buddy at 11 is as solid and stable as they come. Shadow was just like his brother. He loved people, I could take him anywhere and not worry. Their sister who had health problems and died way to young (Valley Fever and tick illness) was a love, even when she was sick, the vet staff loved her. Tasha my 7 year old rescue is amazing. She has been through so much including having her tail amputated and she still loves people. Even my first one a white GSD mix who had hip problems was absolutely 100% solid with people, kids, and other dogs.

I had one bad experience. Our breeder had a 2 year old dog returned that washed out of SAR. She asked me if I would like to take her as a rescue. It was a mistake from the start. I went and picked her up and by the time we had driven home 700 miles she had bonded strongly to me. She would not accept my husband. We tried everything, including a vet visit and a trainer, but it got worse and she started growling at my kid too. She felt the need to protect me from everything. I finally had to accept defeat and take her back to the breeder, it still bothers me. I feel like I failed her.

Anyway in the last 25+ years only one bad experience with a GSD and I consider it our fault. Had we both gone to meet her and bring her back it might have been a different story.

·
Super Moderator
5,826 Posts
Like Wolfstraum, I won't have an unstable dog either.

Carly is 3 and Sage will be 3 next month. Both girls are easy, easy, easy to take anywhere, and do anything with.

At dog shows, with all the chaos around, Sage turns into the most well-mannered dog you could ask for (I always tell everyone that she really isn't that well-mannered, just bored out of her mind, lol). At those same shows, Carly turns on the charm, and every kid wants to give the scary looking German Shepherd a treat. My girls are pretty much the same, no matter where we go. I can hand them off to anyone, and they don't skip a beat.

I have a new puppy coming pretty soon. I know his parents and his grandparents very well, and I am very excited to get this little guy.

Frankly I don't think I have the nerves to deal with a dog that isn't stable!

~~ oh, and if it makes any difference, my dogs are all Amer. showlines.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I first read that as sable, so I was like ohhh me! Then re read oh stable. Ohhh me! Fiona goes almost everywhere I go even work. She is very stable. I am teaching a class, she will lay down and sleep or chew her bone. She will occasionally moan during my lecture, sometimes at appropriate times like after a bad joke or when I assign homework.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Unfortunately, unstable GSDs seem to be a rampant problem. I blame byb's and breeders who do not place the utmost importance on temperament.

The GSDs I've had have been very stable, but they were from good breeding. I've had one in the past that was unstable, and I've seen a LOT of unstable GSDs.

Many GSDs go through an "unstable" period as youngsters. Even my Luka, who is solid as a rock, went through a phase when she was a pup--she was reactive to other dogs for a period of time. She got over it, though, and nowadays she won't bat an eye at another dog.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Stable since 8 weeks. I truly believe that the adult dog's temperament will be basically the same as you can see at his 8 weeks (given normal life, training etc). Of course, the dog will be rebellious, barky, jumpy, pushy during his first few years but that's just normal developmental stages (never fearful). A confident pup will not turn into a fearful dog, and vise versa.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts