German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of mine had the chance this week :)

She wasn't sure what to think, but confidently walked up and was checking it out - except for her tail, which disappeared for a moment. The sheep was quite a bit larger than her! Other than that she was very interested in the sheep, fascinated. The sheep? Mildly interested, then walked away. She quietly observed the other sheep in the field for awhile, until we left.

It had me thinking...how many GSDs (or any herding dogs) actually get to meet sheep? I would assume not very many, as not very many get a chance.

How many of your dogs have met sheep?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Lucky never met sheep, but she did meet a cow. Nose to nose through an electric fence. She didn't care for going to meet them again.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Two of mine have. And all four of my dogs have met goats, as we have them in our back yard. :p

It's amazing how instinctual the herding is in some dogs. It's quite 'National Geographic' to see them just... know!

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
Just at a herding instinct test. Sheep and REALLY big goats. Russell's litter sister Bella has gone to live on a dairy goat farm. I think Russell needs to pay her a visit. :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine have never had the opportunity to herd them, but have met sheep behind fencing. We go to watch the sheep dog trials every year and the dogs just want to do it so bad. They regularly see horses and have met a whole host of other farm animals. I find it fascinating their innate desire to control livestock, they want to but I instruct them to stay away, which they do. And the horses, imo, are too dangerous for them to be trying to herd. Someday I will find an opportunity to do herding with them, they will love it.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We had the pleasure of spending the day with Kelly Malone when Rusty was 8-9 months. It was fun, a learning experience. I have pics but can't post them from my ipad, grrr.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog has seen lamb. he was 20' to 30' away from them he perked
up. i think if i would have said "ok" he would have approached them.

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
Mine met goats. It wasn't good. And all I can say is I'm glad it was the goat owner that INSISTED I let her off leash for a few minutes to "be a dog". After she shot through an electric fence, hitting her back and stomach, she herded all those goats right back to where he had just moved them from while they ran screaming to shut the fence off so they could get through. :rofl:

She was SOOOOOO proud of herself.

We pass by a field of sheep on our walks often and she just watches them. I assume she would herd them like the goats if I let her loose.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Mine met goats. It wasn't good. And all I can say is I'm glad it was the goat owner that INSISTED I let her off leash for a few minutes to "be a dog". After she shot through an electric fence, hitting her back and stomach, she herded all those goats right back to where he had just moved them from while they ran screaming to shut the fence off so they could get through. :rofl:

She was SOOOOOO proud of herself.

We pass by a field of sheep on our walks often and she just watches them. I assume she would herd them like the goats if I let her loose.
Oh geez. LOL

It's amazing when it clicks that they can make them move...I got the power! :cool:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Nope. I would really like to do a herding instinct test. He has met horses, cattle, llamas, goats, chickens, and pigs. He *REALLY* did not like the pigs and was wary of them but cool with everything else.

A young calf was loose at a friends farm and He was trotting along next to it with the calf along the fence and him on the outside, it but not stalking and not running. He seemed to know the calf was supposed to be with the other cattle, but with nearby donkeys and the electric fence we just called him off and called the owner who rounded him up with a 4 wheeler. But I don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Tuke and Zoey came from a small farm with sheep, so they met them as pups. Their moms job was to watch over them. They kept one male pup to learn the ropes and help mom out eventually.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca did a herding instinct test, so yep!

The funny thing is she didn't show much interest in the sheep until she got in the pen with them, but then she did really well and showed a lot of herding instinct. Then after her "turn" she was very interested in what they were doing the rest of the time we were there.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Bianca did a herding instinct test, so yep!

The funny thing is she didn't show much interest in the sheep until she got in the pen with them, but then she did really well and showed a lot of herding instinct. Then after her "turn" she was very interested in what they were doing the rest of the time we were there.

Ollie is the same way, he just sits or lays quietly outside of the gates but once we go in its game on! A lot of the dogs at this herding seminar I went to would bark and go crazy waiting their turn but mine didn't and he was one of best in the pen with the sheep. Not sure why!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Neither of mine have, but I am very interested to see what Chief would do around them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Ollie is the same way, he just sits or lays quietly outside of the gates but once we go in its game on! A lot of the dogs at this herding seminar I went to would bark and go crazy waiting their turn but mine didn't and he was one of best in the pen with the sheep. Not sure why!
That's interesting. I noticed too some of the other dogs at our test barked at the sheep a lot. Bianca was the only GSD there though. Bianca only barked a few times and that was when she was in the pen with them, single barks to get the sheep to move when they had stopped or weren't cooperating.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts