German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many of my neighbors walking their dogs everyday. There is the owner of the mastiff, a couple pit bulls, of course the shih tzu's, lots of labs, some mixed breeds, but no GSD owners walking their dogs. There are 7 GSD owners within a quarter mile of my house, yet they never get walked! These GSD's are either barking their heads off at us staring out of their windows, or in the yard barking. So, now I am wondering, how many of you GSD owners actually walk/jog with your dogs everyday? How long are your walks? Answer honestly.

I walk my dogs (GSD and chocolate lab) 3 times a day. Well, I don't do all 3 times myself-me and my DH take turns-but we take our dogs out for two 45 minute walks a day,and one shorter walk (10-15 minutes).

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I do! Glock and I go for about 15 minutes, sometimes 20 in the morning. Then 20-30 minutes when I get home from work and another 30-45 minutes in the evening. The evening one is usually a combination walk/jog and he gets about 20 minutes of off leash time where he chases bunnies and birds and gets to do whatever he wants.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do! Glock and I go for about 15 minutes, sometimes 20 in the morning. Then 20-30 minutes when I get home from work and another 30-45 minutes in the evening. The evening one is usually a combination walk/jog and he gets about 20 minutes of off leash time where he chases bunnies and birds and gets to do whatever he wants.
Very glad to hear this. My motto is-A tired dog is a happy dog.

I forgot to mention that my dogs also spend time playing in the backyard. We play frisbee with them (GSD monopolizes the game) everyday, and they also run around chasing each other and squirrels and such.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I know he's not a GSD (a full sized one, anyway :p ), but I take Ozzy out every day to the park across the street to play fetch with him. Usually I go out either twice a day for half and hour at a time, or once for 45 min. to an hour. Depends on the weather and if Ozzy gets tired.

There's only one dog I ever see that regularly gets walked out here. He's a huge Neapolitan mastiff. (Then again, what's a small mastiff)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I make it a point to take my girl out at least once a day even if only for 5 minutes. I usually try to do 15 minutes after work and sometimes. Rollerblade with her to get a lot of energy out. N addition to walking I do about 5-10 minutes a day with training for her stays and downs and wharves else we are working on.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone ever noticed while out walking your dog, the sad look in the other dogs eyes that are watching from behind their fence or out their window? I could be imagining it, but I also think that they bark so loudly at us because they are upset that they aren't out there being walked.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Each get a 30-40 minute walk a day, winter is coming so rainy season is in, just not as much yet. Tanner is very mellow, and isn't as high energy as Molly, but both get the same walk, sometimes I go longer with Molly because of her energy level. I will walk through the park and work on off leash exercises with both dogs, or toss the ball with Molly, Tanner can care less about toys, unless they squeak.lol. Then on weekends I take both dogs to the park across the street and let them run without leashes and throw the ball for Molly, and Tanner will chase her(Its a fenced field a big field too.) If something comes up such as school, work etc we will take them out for a quick walk and then play with them toss the ball run around and get them tired out.

Last year during the week of Christmas, we had about 7 days of heavy rain. We weren't able to take the dogs for walks at all, but as soon as there was a break in the rain we took them out for a good quick walk, sometimes the rain would start and we would have to rush home. So to keep them occupied in the house we would play tug of war and roll the ball around.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
There's a dog across the street that sits outside all day and barks and barks and barks and barks. Oh, did I mention it barks? I feel bad for it. I've never seen it, never even seen its owners, and I know it's barking because it's bored and lonely, and has an untold amount of energy pent up that isn't being expelled. But man, is it annoying.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Three times a day, rain or shine. A morning walk with the pit bull for about 40 minutes to an hour. A training walk at 4:00 at a local mall or park and an evening walk to the local tennis courts for off lead play. Early afternoon, we run errands if the husbands home or do chores if he's not. I'll fold laundry and have Havs do tricks on the bed or he'll play with toys while I garden.

It's the only way to live with him. Fortunately, mental exercise exhausts him so I'll be trying to train more tricks as the weather turns ugly. We also have evening class at least once a week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I walk my GSD pup two times a day, in the morning for an hour and in the evening for 30-40 minutes. On the night walk I take my shih tzu mix. She's always asleep in the morning when I take Luna out.

I don't walk my Schipperke any more because he's just a nasty dog. Ever since I brought Luna home he's been in a perpetually bad mood. He doesn't walk very well any more and will just plant his butt.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Every day. Usually in the morning Gar takes her out to the creek trail by Downtown and I usually take her out for about forty minutes at night.
We really try to mix up the environments. Sometimes the creektrail, sometimes the huge shopping complex so she can see more human females besides me.
Saturday night was awesome, there was a huge disco party at the deli on the corner and the strip club on the other side was pretty busy. Lots of people and noise oh and disco balls!
And, motorcycles...lots of motorcyles.
It sounds funky, but staying on the main streets is actually safer as some of the fences aren't good and there are some big territorial dogs behind some bad fences on the off streets.
Oh, and we live within a half mile of the big county hospital and San Jose City College. Two other great places to walk her.

....and because she's a female, she's still territorial. Don't come up to our fence if you aren't on "the list":rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
He's just a pup, but I walk him at least once a day, the other being an off-leash hike behind my house in the mountains. I work outside 7-8 months a year, so weather is a non-issue with me. He didn't like the rain much at first, but he's getting used to it!

I run also year-round, no matter the temp or the weather. I'm hoping by next summer after he's a year old, he can go with me. I don't know how long he'll want to go, but we'll work up to it and see what he thinks, I guess, LOL!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well minus health issues that stop us (Jinx constantly injuring herself) we go daily but about 98% of the times its for an off lead hike. When she goes through a spurt of energy we will go 2-3 times a day never for less then an hour... sometimes we will do short leashed walks at night just up and down the block but those are more training and bonding walks then anything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We take our girl out two - three times a day, though it's usually just two. I walk her for 15-30 minutes in the morning around our neighborhood and if he has time, my husband takes her around noon. We both take her out in the evening for 30-45 minutes and sometimes stop at the neighborhood park to train on the long lead.

We also have a fenced in backyard so during the day she's in her crate for two hours, then out for a couple hours, rinse and repeat. During the day she plays fetch and chases/is chased by her Sheltie brother. They play until they crash for a nap in their crates.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
honestly i have two of the laziest dogs. Riley still gets excited about walks but he'd rather go for a ride in the car instead or stay home and sleep. And he never really wants to walk very far when we do take him out. he's content to go out in the backyard, run two laps, potty and come back inside, get his ice cube and crash in his crate.

Shasta would also rather go for a ride. I take her out a couple times a week and let her run on a long line but she's not real active herself most of the time. She starts getting crazy and hyper, she gets taken outside. She runs for about 5 minutes and she's ready to go home. I also think she prefers rug surfing and sliding across the floors because she does that intentionally. We go outside and she heads straight for the car. I have to bribe her to walk sometimes lol. So with these two, i have it pretty easy.

Next pup i'm sure wont be so easy about it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lucy gets about a 2 mile walk a day. She also gets about a half hour of running in some form or another on top of that. This is during the week when I'm working.

On the weekends, it's non-stop if the weathers nice. She doesn't leave my side, in or out of the house on the weekends.

Now my other dog, a spaniel who died a few months back, could really only go for about one walk a week. He had degenerative heart disease and really couldn't go longer than a quarter of a mile that last year of his life. He had no problem with that though - he LOVED his weekly walks. He was almost 11 and slept pretty much every hour of the day. He lived a very happy and spoiled life to say the least, but really couldn't handle the walks with his heart.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi is not a gsd but I walk him 4-5 miles a day and usually 1 to 1.5 miles of that is off lead in a grassy area. I just spent the last 3 days out in the country hiking and we a little under 20 miles on some seriously vertical terrain. :eek:

·
Registered
539 Posts
My first GSD i wasn't working as a dog walker, but i did walk her everyday from my house to my dads house 15 minutes, my dad has yard we play there for some time, then back to my house, different route 20 minutes.
this time i'm a dog walker, and my clients are super excited that their pups/dogs will get a chance to socialize so my pup will be walking a lot (of course when he's a bit older).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts