German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
How often do your dogs get eggs? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month? Gandalf loves them and they're such a cheap form of protein, I've been giving them to him a couple times a week. Is there any harm in giving them everyday?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I give our dogs raw eggs 4 times per week - no shell.

Our 85# males gets 3 eggs with his raw food 4 x per week, and our 64 pound female gets 2 eggs with her raw food 4 times per week.

If you cook the eggs, they should not be hard boiled, from a nutrition standpoint.

You can cook eggs lightly but keep the yolk intact and uncooked to protect the fragile fatty acids from exposure to air and heat. Such as "over easy".

Moms :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Inga just loves egg shells. Is this bad for her?

·
4,494 Posts
My two each get a boiled egg each morning. I was taking the shells off but now I let them have the entire egg ( and have to pick up the shell bits from the floor ). I used to lightly boil my eggs simply to make sure the shells were clean but my dogs made a mess with them.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
She gets a couple of egg shells every few days. She eats them all up, does not leave a crumb. She will also snatch raw eggs from the hen yard if she can-- dadgummed egg suckin dawg

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My dog gets an egg maybe once or twice a week on average. I scramble it because she prefers the yolk and will try to leave the white if I just crack it into her bowl. No shells; her raw meat base is 10% ground bone, so she doesn't need the additional calcium.

I could probably give an egg more often, I'm not sure why I don't.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Inga just loves egg shells. Is this bad for her?
I do not know if this is true, but read that store bought eggs have a preservative of some type sprayed on the shell and that it might not be good to eat.

We have hens and give our GSD a couple whole raw eggs every week. Would probably give her more, but WE eat most of them:wink2:

I put the whole, raw egg on top of kibble. It's fun watching her try to carefully open the egg, then it cracks and she dives in...

·
Registered
22 Posts
We feed one hard-boiled egg per day. A raw feeder told us to avoid raw eggs because raw egg white is a biotin inhibitor.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Speaking of eggshells... what I want to know is why do the ones that I put in the dish get snubbed and go uneaten but the ones that make it to the trash can are like the love child of the one true ring made and foie gras...
Because only the eggshells that are lightly glazed in dirty kleenex and coffee grounds are the true delicacy.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
We feed one hard-boiled egg per day. A raw feeder told us to avoid raw eggs because raw egg white is a biotin inhibitor.
If you are concerned that raw egg whites may interfere with biotin absorption, cook eggs slightly (refer to above) so that the whites are cooked but not the yellow yolk.

Moms :)

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Random pet travel tip for egg-loving dogs: La Quinta hotels are all pet-friendly, and they always have boiled eggs without seasoning on the free breakfast buffet. I get a breakfast plate "for myself" to take back to the room. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Random pet travel tip for egg-loving dogs: La Quinta hotels are all pet-friendly, and they always have boiled eggs without seasoning on the free breakfast buffet. I get a breakfast plate "for myself" to take back to the room.
Lol great minds think alike!!! We did the same thing at the la Quinta in NC with Gandalf when he was little.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 50 Posts