German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
It's hard to know when you have all the dogs. I have two and it's pretty easy. Don't know if these are all the dogs. My husband thinks they are.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I was just outside raking and cleaning some windows and setting up some firewood. Dogs are running around like amazing idiots, amusing themselves and letting off more steam than I could for them with a 2 hour hike in the woods. All I know is two dogs are way easier than 1 in almost all respects.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Sorry. Forgot about the fish! Always had at least one small Beta tank and my 40 gallon with the Oscars and my monster Plecto that liked to freak out and trash the rocks. Lol.

I like all the creatures.

Except spiders. Spiders can leave. Currently renegotiating terms with the spider mafia in the pump room. I refuse to cede the bathroom.
Understood.

Always gotta have a tank ....

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I was just outside raking and cleaning some windows and setting up some firewood. Dogs are running around like amazing idiots, amusing themselves and letting off more steam than I could for them with a 2 hour hike in the woods. All I know is two dogs are way easier than 1 in almost all respects.
Precisely!

·
Registered
310 Posts
We started with one but when he got a bit old and feeble we decided to add another, mostly because they are watch dogs. Then there were 2 males. The puppy was really good about taking over from the old fella and guarding him. then we lost the old fella and adopted a babe for Jake. He could take her or leave her but they were good watch dogs. Because we live in an isolated area we have had 2 ever since, a male and female. They have ranged in age from puppy to 8 years (shelter years). We tried 3 when a foundling showed up on our doorstep but walking them was chaotic and several weeks later we took him to the shelter. made me sad because no one wanted him. So I know my limit.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
A lot of people have found this out.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Stop it.

My girl just had a litter of 8 and, OK, one looks just like her and and no, I wasn't going to keep one from this litter. I wasn't!

Hard as it is to say no, if you don't have a lot of space, time, money and a good set up, having more than 3 or 4 is challenging and can be not fun- work not fun. It depends, though... but it also is harder to title, and work dogs if you have more than 1 or 2 actively in sport.

Again, it depends on your job, time, money, and housing situation.

I like to give each dog his or her absolute best life, so I do keep my numbers fairly low for that reason. I know my limits.

You'd be surprised (or not) how many people with 3 or more dogs who keep those dogs mostly in crates. I won't do that, nor will I keep kennel only dogs. Not judging, it's just not how I want to live with my dogs.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Stop it.

My girl just had a litter of 8 and, OK, one looks just like her and and no, I wasn't going to keep one from this litter. I wasn't!

Hard as it is to say no, if you don't have a lot of space, time, money and a good set up, having more than 3 or 4 is challenging and can be not fun- work not fun. It depends, though... but it also is harder to title, and work dogs if you have more than 1 or 2 actively in sport.

Again, it depends on your job, time, money, and housing situation.

I like to give each dog his or her absolute best life, so I do keep my numbers fairly low for that reason. I know my limits.

You'd be surprised (or not) how many people with 3 or more dogs who keep those dogs mostly in crates. I won't do that, nor will I keep kennel only dogs. Not judging, it's just not how I want to live with my dogs.
Sabi and Bud were awesome. Even with fosters coming and going all was well. But when Sabs died and Bud turned on Shadow, well it just sucked.
I don't want to go back to crate and rotate. I will if the right pup comes up, because Shadow is now 10 but in general I agree completely with you. I want dogs that are part of my life not just spectators to some of it.
But I still want ALL the dogs!

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
For me, it is about cost and how many interactions I want to deal with at once. With two dogs, they interact with each other or they don‘t. With three dogs, there are four possible factions and interactions, each dog with one other or all three together. With four, the number of possible interactions goes up exponentially. At each level, the dogs must get along or be separated. When it gets toward a crate and rotate situation, or splitting the dogs up when I can’t supervise, I don’t want to deal with that. Vet care in this area is very expensive, too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We had 5 GSDs for a while. It was a lot of work keeping the oldsters separated from the pesky youngsters. Now that the oldsters have passed on we are down to 2 GSDs (ages 2 1/2 and 4 1/2) which works well in a small house with 3 indoor cats.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The two I have now are young, 15 months and 9 months. They are both very focused on us, especially the younger one, but still have a lot of play time together. When we get the third one this winter, we plan on keeping her more separated from the other two. She is going to be my learning experience with some more serious training. The two I have now make a great team and know all of their duties around the property. My husband says he would still like another boy. He's retired and with the dogs 24/7, I still have a few more years to go. Dog sports will be one of my hobbies going into retirement, so if their training continues to go well, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
We had 4 dogs all females seems like forever! We have 2 females now and it’s great. The BC is almost 6 and she is very bossy sometimes. So Lexie is on her best behavior around her!)

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
As soon as Scarlet finished her championship last week, all my friends yelled “TIME TO GET A PUPPY!”. Hey guys, calm down, lol. My handler said “if you get a puppy now, in 2 years she’ll be ready to show seriously”. My breeder friend said “co-own with me!”. I told her you made me spend all my money on dog shows, now I have no money for a puppy, lol.

I did learn that I didn’t want a corgi after all. I was walking one back to our grooming setup from the ring, and those are some really short legs. It took us forever to get there, lol.

I need a puppy, and a bank full of money.

Reactions: ChickiefromTN

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
The two I have now are young, 15 months and 9 months. They are both very focused on us, especially the younger one, but still have a lot of play time together. When we get the third one this winter, we plan on keeping her more separated from the other two. She is going to be my learning experience with some more serious training. The two I have now make a great team and know all of their duties around the property. My husband says he would still like another boy. He's retired and with the dogs 24/7, I still have a few more years to go. Dog sports will be one of my hobbies going into retirement, so if their training continues to go well, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It’s work - for about a year, but I like them close in age.

Not sure I’d consider a pup w an eight year old, but to each his own.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I think we are on our last two. 2 is my limit. We have space and I have room but my personal energy is limited. I want to play enough with my dogs, exercise my dogs, train my dogs, walk with my dogs and still have energy for my sweetheart, who is NOT a dog but loves them, too. The reason they might be our last is because of our age. We could live for another 20 years or another 20 days. I can't say that it would be easy for our kids to rehome our guys if we were gone tomorrow. They are great dogs but big dogs and need, well you all know what a GSD needs.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts