German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Yes. Three is good. Four is a chore. Once things turn into a chore, the fun drops out.

If I lived on a farm or had 10 acres of land, I’d have far more than three.

The size of the home is very relevant, too. They need space. I don’t like stepping over my dogs, so they all have their own individual spots, hallways, other rooms to relax in, when inside the home. They also have their own GSD room for sleeping, watering and feeding.

I would never own three in, say, a 1500 to 2000 sq ft home, with my bride and two children.

My two cents ......

·
Registered
136 Posts
We're kind of the opposite. I live in a 500 sq ft cabin with my soon to be three. It's kind of worked out that there are people spaces and dog spaces. They go to the bedroom if they want some quiet time.

That said, we all spend most of the day outside and come in to eat dinner. We have 10+ wooded acres thats ours but are surround by 1000's more that are uninhabited. I think that makes it a lot more doable. We are planning on adding a room with some outdoor covered runs off of the bedroom this winter just to give more options in nasty weather, even though we still spend a ton of time out in the rain and cold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
We're kind of the opposite. I live in a 500 sq ft cabin with my soon to be three. It's kind of worked out that there are people spaces and dog spaces. They go to the bedroom if they want some quiet time.

That said, we all spend most of the day outside and come in to eat dinner. We have 10+ wooded acres thats ours but are surround by 1000's more that are uninhabited. I think that makes it a lot more doable. We are planning on adding a room with some outdoor covered runs off of the bedroom this winter just to give more options in nasty weather, even though we still spend a ton of time out in the rain and cold.

Sure. Agreed.

The degree of outdoor time can supplant the lack of indoor space.

I just try to consider the aggregate, when you have three days of rain, for example, or 10” of snow to melt for two weeks.

Then, life gets real interesting when you can’t get them outdoors.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sure. Agreed.

The degree of outdoor time can supplant the lack of indoor space.

I just try to consider the aggregate, when you have three days of rain, for example, or 10” of snow to melt for two weeks.

Then, life gets real interesting when you can’t get them outdoors.
Rain is a pain but 10" of snow is perfect GSD play time

·
Registered
136 Posts
We don't get much snow but have wet rainy winters. Still spend tons of time out in it with the rain gear on. There is a spot in our woods that turns into a stream with a small pool in the heavy winter rains and that's the dogs idea of heaven.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have had multiple dogs at once in the past and currently have one now. I believe it depends on the type of dog you have and what your goals are. If trying to compete in sports at a challenging level and have a dog with some aggression, one dog is best IMO. If you are mainly wanting multiple companions, that is different .

·
Registered
7,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Rain is a pain but 10" of snow is perfect GSD play time
So agree, until day 1 or 2 after and then 45 degrees creeps in.

A very common occurrence in south Jersey. 🙄

Three GSD’s covered in snow, slush n mud can really make one undergo some serious introspection about his decision making processes.

(Thankfully, short term).

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I have had multiple dogs at once in the past and currently have one now. I believe it depends on the type of dog you have and what your goals are. If trying to compete in sports at a challenging level and have a dog with some aggression, one dog is best IMO. If you are mainly wanting multiple companions, that is different .
The latter! I like the pack situation and for them to basically never be alone.
It is very difficult to specialize with one dog, while owning multiples, though. Absolutely right.

My father did teach us as kids that specialization is for insects, so maybe that’s my hook.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The nice thing about the kennel was I could put extremely wet, muddy dogs out into one of the runs until they dried, and the dirt (mostly) fell off!

Also, with it being a kennel, no one got to complain about all the hair... though I DID try to keep it under control!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Not sure. I made it up to 21 dogs, 7 cats and a chicken. And a goat. And a horse. Three actually.
Sabi....

There’s no fish tank in there anywhere??? 🤣

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Sabi....

There’s no fish tank in there anywhere??? 🤣
Sorry. Forgot about the fish! Always had at least one small Beta tank and my 40 gallon with the Oscars and my monster Plecto that liked to freak out and trash the rocks. Lol.

I like all the creatures.

Except spiders. Spiders can leave. Currently renegotiating terms with the spider mafia in the pump room. I refuse to cede the bathroom.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
In the last year and a half, I’ve gone from three to two to one. I thought I’d like just having one (simpler?) but no. I need two.

Just waiting on getting Scarlet through this Okla show circuit, then saving up for a puppy from my breeder friend. She’s offered to co-own a sable bitch puppy she has, but I might wait for the next litter she has planned. I like the bitch she’s going to breed. Who knows. We’ll see.

I think the most dogs I’ve had at one time was 4 Italian Greyhounds and 2 Dobes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts