German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everly kibble varies... but how many cups do you feed your adult GSD? Ive been feeding Hannah about 3 cups, no treats at all, a day and she needs to lose a few! We walk at least an hour a day and also play ball some too. We just moved into an appartment so she might not be getting any exercise during the day. What do you suggest to feed her to get her to drop about 5-10 lb. She is at about 84lb right now and a healthy running weight for her is about 75. Is 2 cups to little? She will think she is starved to death! Dinner i think is her fav time of the day. Before I moved my parents would doggy sit during the day so she could be with their GSD and thats where she packed on a few! What would you suggest?

OH..... she eats Innova

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I feed raw and it has been so long since i fed kibble but to me cutting back 1/3 of the meal seems a little much. Maybe try cutting back to 2.75 or 2.5 cups to start.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i feed my 11 month old gsd 2 cups in the am and 2 in the pm, but mind you, they are not tip full cups but maybe about 3/4 cup each. i also mix in canned food at dinner time. i do natural balance and innova evo. he also get about 3 to 4 raw bones a week and still looks good, but mind you he is still a puppy.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
our boy is 12 months old and we were feeding 1&1/2 cups in the a.m. and 1&1/2 cups in the p.m. he was weighing 87.5 lbs. the 2 monhs he's cut back on his eating. now i give him 1&1/2 the a.m. and 1 to 1&1/4 cups in the p.m. we'll give him a biscuit or two during the day and the night. also in his dry food i put in a teaspoon of can food. yesterday i put in a teaspoon of baby food (salmon and sweet potato) he loved it. as of now my boy weighs 85 lbs. we feed Wellness dry and can. his biscuits are all natural. tonight he's going to get some boneless beef ribs i made. there's no seasoning on them. as far as your dog dropping weight just cut back on the portions. try 1&1/2 in the a.m. and 1&1/4 in the p.m. and see if see starts to loose a few pounds. don't cut her food back to drastically, a little at a time. i guess she can't come over for some ribs tonight!!!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I feed all 4 of my adults 2 cups of Life's Abundance per day. In using Innova I think you can move down to 2 cups oer day without a problem and it will help shed some pounds.

Cherri

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill give 2 cups a try. I just dont want her to feel starved. We lost a golden about a year ago that had a bad thyroid.... i think that freaks me out. I dont want her to have the same problem, and I dont understand why she is chubby.... i dont think she is gaining though. Hasnt in the past month at all.

i forgot to tell you.... she turned 3 in march

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ava gets 4 cups a day. If they have not been playing a lot and I haven't been able to taken them outside b/c of the weather and they have been stuck inside all day I adjust their food accordingly.

I would just keep an eye on her, you if you think she is actling like she is starving you might want to increase it her food a little bit. Just use your best judgement ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts