German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
haha. I have 1 dog and 4 crates....

One in my bedroom (she sleeps in there with the door open), 1 at the office, 1 for the bed of the truck, 1 old one that I don't currently use or need. Oh and 1 doghouse in the backyard. So 5 crates, kinda....lol.

·
Registered
571 Posts
For those who have multiple crates, do the dogs share? Or does each crate belong to one dog exclusively?

So Rover always gets the one in the dining room, and Mimi always the one in the kitchen and is not allowed to use Rover's?

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
For those who have multiple crates, do the dogs share? Or does each crate belong to one dog exclusively?

So Rover always gets the one in the dining room, and Mimi always the one in the kitchen and is not allowed to use Rover's?
At one point I had 21 dogs and 22 crates in my house.
If I said "kennel up!" inside of a couple seconds there was not a dog in sight. A survey of the crates would show some crates empty, some being shared.
That said, you need to know your dog. Some dogs can be violently possessive of their crates and some really don't care. Sabi used to routinely evict Bud from his crate because at that time she did not have one.
Shadow will push the door closed if there is something in her crate she does not want me to take, so I assume she would be snotty about sharing it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Juno will herd Titus into his crate and then push the door slightly closed. He only comes out if the crate is open. I don't have to lock it for him. One day, I am sure, she will figure out how to shut it.

I have strong suspicion she knows about door handles, though I have yet to catch her in the act.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have 2 dogs, 4 crates: 2 in our bedroom that we're starting not to use now youngest isn't chewing so much so those might be retired soon and 2 downstairs that we use at dinner time or when strangers/tradesmen visit. The upstairs crates are helpful for getting a good view though - see photo IMG_1519.jpeg !

I still haven't found a double crate that fits my car and gives them both enough room or we'd have that too.

Reactions: cagal
21 - 26 of 26 Posts