German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title is a quote from my husband after a discussion today. We have two dogs, one a 5 year old bitch and the other a 7 month old dog. The older bitch had a crate as a puppy but we folded it away when she was a year or so, because she was very happy and well-behaved without it. She sleeps in our bedroom, often on our bed, and during the day has a basket between the kitchen and my office where she can watch everything going on. She's a very mellow dog and this suited her well.

Fast forward to this year when we got our second dog, a male who's currently 7 months old. He sleeps in a crate in our bedroom and has since the day we brought him home. During the day, he sleeps under my desk or somewhere else around the house. He used to like lying in the older girl's basket, so we bought him one of his own, but he doesn't use either of them now. At dinner time, we eat in the dining room, my husband and I at the table, the girl close to us and the boy in a crate, to stop them getting at each other's food.

So we have two crates, both for the younger boy, and this has worked quite well so far... BUT I'm thinking about managing them both going forward. The girl will come into season in January, just as the boy hits major puberty! Lucky me! The plan is to crate and rotate, so I'm going to have to make her comfortable being in a crate again when she thinks she's outgrown it.

In our current plan, that would mean she needs a crate in the bedroom and one in the dining room, bringing us to four crates from two, but I'm thinking we can relax the eating rules a bit and instead of having his crate there, move it into the area between my office and the kitchen, plus get her one to sit alongside. There hasn't been any food aggression so far... they even drink out of the same water bowl at the same time, so I'm not so worried about eating together.

Does this make sense and how many crates do you have for your dogs and why?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If I’m reading correctly you have two crates? I usually have one for each dog in the house and another for travel. I would have them both crates at all times if I wasn’t doing something with one while she’s in season. I haven’t had a female in a long time though.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Sometimes I have one crate per dog. Sometimes two, currently I have three crates, one dog.
Specifically with regards to bitches in heat I don't recommend you crate side by side. It will increase the frustration your boy may feel and your girl if she is so inclined.
I use seperate rooms and my personal rule is if I am not there each crated in seperate rooms doors closed on both.
Otherwise in general it makes life easier if you have a crate in the house and one in the vehicle. Saves lugging crates around.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You shouldn't have to crate for feeding, just separate them, mine only by 10 feet and no physical separation. There, I just freed up a crate for you:sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
i’m with your husband!
initially i was going to respond 0-3 (including vehicle) for one dog.... then i read your circumstances. with 6 more months of training and maturity, i think you can get away with the two crates you have and perhaps add a baby gate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes I have one crate per dog. Sometimes two, currently I have three crates, one dog.
Specifically with regards to bitches in heat I don't recommend you crate side by side. It will increase the frustration your boy may feel and your girl if she is so inclined.
I use seperate rooms and my personal rule is if I am not there each crated in seperate rooms doors closed on both.
Otherwise in general it makes life easier if you have a crate in the house and one in the vehicle. Saves lugging crates around.
Thanks for this. The separate rooms makes sense. I think I need to see the crate more as their quiet time and that they don't necessarily need to be in it with everyone around. Will try today :)

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You shouldn't have to crate for feeding, just separate them, mine only by 10 feet and no physical separation. There, I just freed up a crate for you:sneaky:
Thank you :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I’m reading correctly you have two crates? I usually have one for each dog in the house and another for travel. I would have them both crates at all times if I wasn’t doing something with one while she’s in season. I haven’t had a female in a long time though.
I have two right now and a car crate. I'm going to try getting older dog used to being back in her crate before buying any more. My husband is very pleased with the responses ;-)

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
I use the crates for feeding. Doors are open 99% of the time but that's where they've always been fed. I will close the door in cases where I've given them larger bone and I know one will eat faster than the other or if their heartworm meds are in their food to make sure they ate it.

I have found that when you pull the crates, they still go to that same spot for feeding. Dogs are creatures of habit.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have 3 crates, 2 dogs. Two crates in the living room, and one in the bedroom. The bedroom one is for Juno at night; I leave it open. She sleeps on the bed, in the crate, on the floor. The ones in the living room is for when guests are over, and for when I interact with the cats.
(I also have Juno's puppy crate, which she has outgrown but I use to store dogs toys and other things).

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
OK going back to the not crating all the time... When she's in heat, one dog or the other will be crated or out of the house to limit procreation opportunities ...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
None.

But do YOUR thing and best of luck w your pup.

Reactions: Amshru

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
1dog 3 crates. He is never crated in the house but I do feed him in his crate. One crate in my car the other in my BF’s truck. I hate dragging crates from one car to another or from house to car.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
How about 1 crate for 6 months and then collapsing it for storage for 12 years and having 0?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts