German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if people have more than one crate for their dog.

Do you carry the big crate in and out of the car every time you go anywhere? Or do you have a crate IN your car that stays there? I am imagining that if you take your dog with you to various places almost daily, it could get pretty tiring to carry a crate in and out every day.

Also I am thinking too about where to keep a crate in the house as well. If your pup sleeps in its crate in your bedroom, do you leave it there all the time and crate them in the bedroom when they eat, etc? Or do you have it in the kitchen for meals and day crating and move it back into the bedroom at night? Trying to figure out the logistics here before I get my pup.

·
5,627 Posts
When Raven was a puppy, her crate was in my bedroom and that's where it stayed. I didn't feed her in it. She's been out of the crate for 2 years now.

For fosters, I have a 54" crate in the space between my living room and kitchen. They get put in there during the day and fed in there. I also have a 48" crate in my bedroom for them to use at night.

I had a separate 36" crate that I used in the car 1 or 2 times for transport but gave that away. I don't typically crate in the car.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have 3 crates that I use at one time typically.

1 (Vari kennel) is in my friends car for when we travel (I carpool to the club because I do not have a car up here while I am in school).

1 (wire 48" crate) is in my bedroom for quiet time or if he needs to be crated if guest are over. Right now our visiting house guest is occupying this at night and when we are away.

1 (wire 48" crate) WAS in my kitchen for meal time (raw fed) but Stark has since learned to eat on his mat so it was not needed anymore and is now under my bed in storage.

I also have 1 48" excerise pen that is in storage in my closet and a 36" wire crate for puppies. I am keeping these for my next dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
when Masi was a puppy, I had 3 crates also,,one on the main floor, for when I had to go somewhere, one in my bedroom for nite time, and one in my blazer for traveling..now I have no crates:))) She earned her freedom in the house long ago, and right now she rides free in the blazer, if I go to a dogshow I definately bring my crate for in the car just because I would rather have her crated at that time vs loose in the car

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have two crates. A 42" that we keep in the bedroom for crating Victor when we have guests. A 48" in a hallway for Victor and Jamie Lee to be used as needed. Both crates are kept in areas where we have enough room to leave them up all the time. They can be moved if need be, but usually stay put where they are. We don't use one for traveling because I can't fit a big enough crate in my truck cab. I have a quad cab truck so I lay down my backseats that I cover with a kingsized comforter and put an XL dog pillow back there for them.

·
2,967 Posts
Every dog has 2 crates. A Varikennel for the car, and a 48" or 54" wire crate for in the house. Our dining room is sort of like our indoor kennel with crates all lined up. Except for Anka. Her crate is in the office so that when she goes into heat, we can close the door on her.

We also have a smaller varikennel that we break out when we bring home new puppies that fits nicely next to the bed. :)

So our family owns 11 crates total.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have 2 crates for each dog, one for the house and one for the truck. We use varikennels for the vehicle and wire for the house. Our beagles are rarely crated in the house, but both sleep in their crates at night (doors are removed.) Our GSD puppy spends a lot of time in her ex-pen as well.

I also turned our under stairs closet into a kennel, and hopefully Brembo will get to move into it at 1yr or so. It is 30 square feet with tile flooring and has been dog proofed. It has a 2 foot wire window in the door (I used a piece from a broken wire kennel,) and even has its own ac vent :D

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
When we use a travel crate, we either use the girls furrari which is quick and easy to move to the car, or for Dante I just take his. He actually has two, but I usually just use the one in the house. Lately haven't been using a crate at all as no one needs it. During the summer when we swim them I prefer to transport in a crate though, so we use it more then.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Seven crates in the house and 4 in the car. If we had to evacuate it would take more than one car!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have 2 crates in my house and I have one at my boyfriends place. I only use the crate now when I'm out of the house. At night I now leave my dog out of it and she is doing very well.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Currently in the house I have three dogs but I have 6 crates. Right now there are two crates in my van, two large crates in my den, and one crate in my bedroom. I take two dogs to Schutzhund training (Pan and Nikon), two dogs are crated when I'm not home (Pan and Nikon), and Pan also sleeps in a crate at night in the bedroom. I need to put a third crate back in the van, took it out for a week for hauling Christmas presents.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have two dogs. When they were puppies, we had one crate downstairs in the main living area, and one crate for each dog upstairs in our bedroom for sleeping at night. We would rotate who was in the downstairs crate during the day so that each puppy got some free time and so that they didn't bond with each other more than they bonded with us.

For travel we have always used a harness that clips onto the seatbelt, rather than use a crate.

Now that the dogs are older, we keep the spare crate in storage. We could probably get rid of it, but it came in handy when Rosa had her hip surgery, and also after Niko's neuter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We have 1 crate in the bedroom (used at night and when we're gone) and had an ex-pen in the living room. We have a 15 month old daughter and found there were many times in the last few months that we needed to put the puppy in the ex-pen to give them a break from each other or if I couldn't watch him for whatever reason. The ex-pen gave him a safe place to play/chew and still kept him in the room with us. He's old enough and chill enough that I only use the crate at this point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts