German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
One benefit is, more people will know what SAR means

From cesar's site
This is a beginning-level course that merely introduces SAR skills. Working SAR dogs typically complete more than 600 hours of intense training before qualifying for emergency work.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not against stimulating pet dogs, but call it "Hide and Seek". From the moment you are using the word RESCUE you are taking a responsibility... and doing false advertising.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not against stimulating pet dogs
Maybe some potential search and rescue dogs and handlers will attend and go on to train properly.

There are some great dogs out there who are merely used as a pet. Maybe when there is more recognition about this kind of training more will get out there and train.

What would a good way to introduce people to SAR?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no shortcut of good SAR dogs. There are dozens of breeders producing them right now. There is a shortcut of good handlers, and anyone willing to pay $400 for this is too dumb for SAR, LOL!

I think good teams are doing what is needed to recruit their people, it's not about quantity, but about quality. No need for fancy TV stars to recruit people who think their dog can be Lassie.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Well, most teams have their own way of training dogs and may not want to undo whatever it is Cesar has done to train these dogs and people if it is not the path they take. ...what credentials is his crew

Of course getting folks to do scentwork with their dogs is a good outlet and is good bonding. They just REALLY REALLY REALLY need to stress everything required for being operational, legal and liability issues, state oversight when applicable, etc. Bad enough when folks with no affiliation and national certs show up at a search.

It is still about being on a team, getting off work, doing all the other stuff that has nothing to do with playing with your dog. ......... I hope he does not capitilize too much on some vision that has nothing to do with reality.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
So, what is his command for searching? "Tchhtt"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts