German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, question, my girl is on a boiled chicken and rice diet now and the vet said I can start mixing her kibble in......my question is how long should it take to change over? Thanks Jeff

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
What put her on a bland diet to start?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd ask the vet. I think little by little is a good idea though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What put her on a bland diet to start?

She was vomiting and had the runs, to make a long story short, we tested for a lot of things and she thinks she may have a beef alergy. so I am changing foods to a chicken formula but I want to go slow but how slow?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
She was vomiting and had the runs, to make a long story short, we tested for a lot of things and she thinks she may have a beef alergy. so I am changing foods to a chicken formula but I want to go slow but how slow?
That depends on the formula but 3 days should be enough. In some cases you can switch cold turkey if the new formula has less fat than what you were feeding. In your case you are going from a bland diet so 3 days.

I have done several feeding trials over the years and a condition is you go cold turkey. To be honest I have never really noticed much difference in stools.

You may want to give some probiotics too, the ones for dogs not people. Petdophilus is carried at Vitamin Shoppe.

This breed does just fine on a 25/15 diet so I would keep it around there.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That depends on the formula but 3 days should be enough. In some cases you can switch cold turkey if the new formula has less fat than what you were feeding. In your case you are going from a bland diet so 3 days.

I have done several feeding trials over the years and a condition is you go cold turkey. To be honest I have never really noticed much difference in stools.

You may want to give some probiotics too, the ones for dogs not people. Petdophilus is carried at Vitamin Shoppe.

This breed does just fine on a 25/15 diet so I would keep it around there.

Oh 3 days? OK I thought it would take longer, Thank you for the info. My vet also mentioned a probiotic or a mix between probiotics and enzymes, here is what she suggested, thanks again, Jeff

Berte's Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would start slowly with a 25 new food 75 rice mixture and make sure her stools stay firm. If they stay fine then bump it up every 24-48 hours (I would do 48 personally).

So - just do it slowly, mix it 25/75 then 50/50 then 75/25 then on to the new food. I wouldn't do it by time or days so much as how she seems to be doing on the new food. You could do it every 24 hours but I would do it slower. Like, if she's doing fine on the new food after 24 hours give her another 24 to make sure the new food doesn't shock her system when you bump her up or else then you'll be back to square one.

Slow is better than upset tummies!

As far as the probiotics I would wait until she's on her new food to start those since if you add too much at once she may get an upset stomach and then you can't tell if it's the food, the probiotics or if the switch was made too fast.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I went very slow when I was switching foods for Sadie. I did a week at 25/75 new/old, then a week at 50/50, then a week at 75/25 and finally 100% new. She had no issues with this, it took a long time, but I wanted to be sure she would respond well to the food.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been dealing with GI/stomach issues with my dog over the last month. I made the mistake of going back to kibble too quickly and thought everything was fine....turns out we had a setback. It would have been well worth going slower for me.

I think it depends on the dog and how severe the issues were that required the bland diet. From now on though, I plan to stick with....2 days 1/4 cup kibble, 2 days 1/3 cup kibble, 2 days 1/2 cup kibble, and so on. My dog didn't tolerate the rice or chicken great, so I've been using oatmeal & canned i/d precrip. I'm keeping the oatmeal amount stable and just decreasing the canned while I work my way up to a cup of kibble per meal. Then I'll decrease the oatmeal over a 3 day period probably. (My dog normally eats 4 cups kibble a day).

I don't think you'll do any harm by going back to kibble too slowly (within a reasonable time), but I've learned that going back too quickly can be a disaster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts