German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i can tell my guy is losing weight, his neck has been getting smaller and his gut looks thinner (hes long haired so kinda hard to say if i see ribs or not but i can feel them)...

i was feeding him 1lb chicken quarter, and 1/2lb red meat everyday...he weights 65lbs and is 1 yr old. i upped him to 2lbs last week and now 2.25lbs this week (still 1lb chicken quarter, just more red boneless meat). how long till i start noticnig him put on weight again?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
It depends a lot on how active he is. I would increase the leg quarters since I have found them very fattening. Maybe 1.5-2# of leg quarters and the rest in red boneless meat. Also don't forget about eggs, salmon oils, organ meats, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah he gets 2 1000mg salmon oil, and 1 egg at night. havent started organs yet, but they are sitting in my freezer...going to start those next week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
He could just have a fast metabolism. Did he eat a lot of kibble?

I wouldn't be too worried about weight loss. Looking from the top, there can be the hourglass shape through his stomach. When his hips start showing is when to be worried and up the food. Make sure he get enough bones. Check his poo for consistency and other digestive things.

He'll always act hungry too, so don't be fooled. Haha

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It depends a lot on how active he is. I would increase the leg quarters since I have found them very fattening. Maybe 1.5-2# of leg quarters and the rest in red boneless meat. Also don't forget about eggs, salmon oils, organ meats, etc.
No kidding about the leg quarters! I feed my 92lb GSD two cups of kibble at night and leg quarters in the morning.

In fact...I think I'm putting on weight just handling them. Yea...it can't be from the 1/2 price shakes at Sonic on Friday nights....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts