German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crate that I put my pup in when I'm home and I need to do things around the house and can watch him. Also, I crate him when I leave for short outing (a couple of hours). When I leave for work I put him in a bathroom (large) with stacks gates... He's 12 weeks and the single gate is not high enough. My problem is that he's starting to knock the gate down and I need to be able to secure him for periods sometimes up to eight hours. I can't imagine leaving him in a crate for that long of a period. Please share your solution for the times when you have to leave for work.
Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
have you tried putting an x-pen around him? They make some tall ones and then there is no gate to knock over basically you can make an x-pen room within a room. this will also prevent any possible cabinet gnawing when he starts teething.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You need to start imagining him in a crate. It's by far the best place for him when you aren't home. Otherwise, just wait until he decides to redecorate the bathroom for you or escapes and destroys your house.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Crate is best I agree, except 8 hours crated at 12 weeks old is too long. They need to eliminate within that time period. If you or someone else cannot get home to let it out of crate, then an open crate in confined area with like a puphead is good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
As long as a crate is big enough.... that is the way to go. Safer for the pup, and safer for your house. I have had dogs in crates that were a year and a half. I heard a story of a dog that clawed a wall in the bathroom, and ended up damaging a water line. The owner came home to a flood..... Urban legend...maybe, but I would put nothing past a determined shepherd.

·
Registered
936 Posts
As long as a crate is big enough.... that is the way to go. Safer for the pup, and safer for your house. I have had dogs in crates that were a year and a half. I heard a story of a dog that clawed a wall in the bathroom, and ended up damaging a water line. The owner came home to a flood..... Urban legend...maybe, but I would put nothing past a determined shepherd.
My GSD turned on outside spigots when she was young (had a doggie door). We finally had to take off handles because she flooded the yard!

They are smart!

Have you thought of day care if you can afford it and the pup has had all their shots?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A member posted her solution previously (about a year ago) regarding her solution for crating a pup for a longer time span than what her what physically able to hold. She had constructed a safe area using a crate and an x-pen the crate was against the wall, open. to the side of the crate was a small kiddie pool filled with (either ceder chips or puppy pads) and an x-pen enclosed the entire thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had that same problem with my puppy when I had to leave for work. I hired a pet sitter to come once a day to let him out of his crate, feed/water and walk him for a 40 minute visit. She was local and charged a decent rate. I left at 8:00, she came at 12:00 and stayed until 12:40 and I was home at 4:30. Worked great when he was little. I also got daily e-mails telling me how he was doing when I was at work. It was really a great solution for me. I'm a teacher and I'm now off for the summer, but I will probably have her continue to come in September since that is such a busy time of year and I'm often home later than 4:30. He loves his crate!!!!! He chooses to go in there on his own all day long and I believe it is because he was crated from the very beginning. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
A member posted her solution previously (about a year ago) regarding her solution for crating a pup for a longer time span than what her what physically able to hold. She had constructed a safe area using a crate and an x-pen the crate was against the wall, open. to the side of the crate was a small kiddie pool filled with (either ceder chips or puppy pads) and an x-pen enclosed the entire thing.
Yup. When we lived on a third floor apartment for a month or two after getting our 12 week old GSD and night time runs etc down were impossible, so we used a washer pan with cedar chips in it. She had no problem using it. They have things like the "Puphead" now if you want a more formal thing.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The reason I thought the cedar chips were a good idea is because they are easy to take from inside the bathroom to outside in the yard.... So he can generalize wood chips as the potty area and if you have the same thing in both places, it makes the connection easier. Assuming of course that he doesn't try to eat them :O

·
Registered
936 Posts
The reason I thought the cedar chips were a good idea is because they are easy to take from inside the bathroom to outside in the yard.... So he can generalize wood chips as the potty area and if you have the same thing in both places, it makes the connection easier. Assuming of course that he doesn't try to eat them :O
Yup, that was the main reason we used them. It worked great for the transition. This time we are using the puphead which has artificial grass since here in Vegas artificial grass is the predominant pup pottie outside, along with rocks! LOL :happyboogie:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts