German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been on antibiotics now for about 10 days. He was put on metronazidole (sp?) because of some bacteria and the toxins it produced....I posted a little while back about it.

Anyway, I'm just wondering about anyone who has had a dog with SIBO / other bacteria that used antibiotics....did the dog improve immediately? How long did it take to get back to solid stool? At this point, my dog seems no better off. Pretty much the same as he was before the antibiotics, if not very very slightly worse.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Generally, for most infections, antibiotics start to work within 2-4 days. You should start to see improvement during that time. With a serious case of SIBO, *maybe* up 5-7 days. That's the longest it's ever taken my dog to show solid (no pun intended
) progress.

Ten days seems too long to me. I'd call my vet.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Call the vet

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I had wanted to get through our work week to see if things changed on our days off...but no luck. I left a message for the vet a couple hours ago and haven't heard back yet. Hopefully she'll get back to me before the weekend. If she doesn't, what are your thoughts about continuing the meds? I have about four days left. Should I continue to the end or just quit now?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My dog with SIBO improved immediately when she received the correct antibiotic.

We tried Metronidazole (varying dosages) for awhile and she never got any better. Then they tried another (can't remember the name), then finally tried Tetracycline. She improved after the first two doses.

I would say that after 2 weeks if it's not working, it's not going to.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Flagyl (Metronidazole) does have side effects. So if it weren't doing a darn thing for my dog, I'd discontinue use. That's just MY inclination though. The prescription almost certainly says to use until all pills are completely gone, so I wouldn't suggest you NOT to follow your vet's orders.

Keep calling the vet's office.
On Friday afternoons, it's easy to get overlooked.

Here's some info:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/metronidazole.html

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had the same problem with my GSD. He was on Metronidazole for 10 days and it did not work. Thank God for this forum because I found a wealth of information. I then called my Vet and requested that we try Tylan. He was put on Tylan (powder form) for 6 weeks and has had good stools.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. I think I'm out of luck til Monday. I'm going to just stop using it. Looking back over the 10 days, I think it's actually made things a little worse. At least normally I get some solid stool....which I'm not sure I've really gotten any of this week. I hate to go against the instructions, but without any improvement, I hate even more to put his system through the meds. I'll let ya know what the vet says on Monday.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Kelly's SIBO had positive results with a 30 day course of tetracycline. I can't recall when I first noticed he was getting better, probably within a day or two of starting it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kinda figured it should be faster results, but thought I should give it a longer shot. And the excitement of work days can impact things for us too....so wanted to get to our weekend. 10 days does seem long for nothing, or worse results. I didn't give him his dose last night and his stool was way better this morning. Some soft, but most I could actually roll onto the shovel
It's surprising how happy solid stool can make me

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I'd update....since kind of interesting results I'm seeing. I stopped giving the antibiotic that was causing more harm than good. When I talked w/ the vet, she said to continue through the full dose. I stopped back in and they took another blood sample for bacteria count and did another round of fecal tests.

I don't have the results back from those tests yet, but things have improved significantly for my dog over the last week. The only change being that I've been adding fiber to his diet. I'll have to go a couple more weeks to make sure I have consistency, but so far the change is incredible....I've never seen him this stable before. I've just been using psyllium husk powder.

Kind of crazy to think that perhaps after all this time and all these test, maybe all he needed was some more fiber in his diet. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

·
Registered
399 Posts
My GSD has been on several cycles of Doxycycline for Lyme. I've seen results in as soon as 24 hours, but a substitute vet once prescribed a lower dose than normal saying that was all he needed. After 4 days with no results, I upped the dosage myself and saw immediate results. Your dog might just need another few mgs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts