German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Bianca a raw knuckle bone to chew on outside... It's a full size knuckle (they are often cut in half) and she's been out there for a while now... I put her Ruffwear coat on her but I am a little concerned about how cold it is and I am trying to decide if I should let her stay out longer to keep chewing or make her come back inside? It's about 25 degrees and she is lying in the snow but doesn't want to come in.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hmm, it's 28 here in K-zoo currently, Sigurd's been out for about 30 minutes. He's been out in colder weather just fine, not just hours upon hours. The longest he's been out in 30 and lower temps is an hour. He's active running around and such, so I'm not worried he'll freeze.

ETA: Sometimes he just lays on the front steps for about 30 minutes, too, just fine. I think if she's cold, she'll want to come in!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I let mine in when they come on the porch and stand at the door. If they seem happy and aren't actually wet (under their top coat), I leave them out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I let Miya eat her bones on a fleece blanket on the floor and wash the blanket regularly so that she is inside with us.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I let mine in when they come on the porch and stand at the door. If they seem happy and aren't actually wet (under their top coat), I leave them out.
That's what I do too...

But think probably around 30 - 45 min or so I'd take a look at them to make sure everything was still ok with them... It's amazing how well my dogs do in the cold. Heck, Glory was in the creek yesterday and then continued the hike with icicles forming in her fur....

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Has she come in yet??
My dogs are out for about 1/2 hr at a time, but actively romping. If I gave them a knucklebone, I know they would stay out there til it was swallowed.

MRL...of course Glory is a Wildhaus pup, I would expect nothing less!!
:doggieplayball:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah she came in...eventually! She tried to bring the bone inside with her though! :p

Normally I let her in when she comes back on the porch, but I was worried since she was too busy with her bone to want to come inside that she would get too cold. She was wearing her Ruffwear K9 Overcoat but it doesn't cover her stomach or go all the way down her back (being a long-backed dog...) She's supposed to be getting a warmer dog coat (we won it in a raffle at Halloween) but they had to special-order it in her size so we are still waiting.
She loves the snow though, sometimes when I let her out she just goes in the yard and lays down in the snow and doesn't want to come back in even if it's really cold!

I always give her bones outside because I am afraid she would end up making a mess with it inside or put it on the rug/carpet. :crazy: If I had a space to put up my Bianca-sized crate I'd just let her eat it in there but there's no room for it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I always give her bones outside because I am afraid she would end up making a mess with it inside or put it on the rug/carpet. :crazy: If I had a space to put up my Bianca-sized crate I'd just let her eat it in there but there's no room for it.
The bones don't come in my house either.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Bianca is a lucky dog to have a mom that worries about her.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Miya goes for the loophole and has her butt on fleece eating blanket and tries to eat the stripped bone on the carpet, so technically she is still on her blanket! We recently bought a German spray extraction carpet cleaner to go with the German dog :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts