German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY want to take my dog to the park to see his friends. He had pano and has been on anti-inflammatory meds for 1 month on Monday. Last time I spoke to my vet (2 weeks ago) she said that after a month, we could start weaning him off of the meds. She said he could really benefit from some controlled excercise like a long walk which is all we have allowed. No sprinting or all-out running. He is definitley back to normal but I know the meds could be masking it. Thoughts on whether I should give it a try or not?

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
I would get him off the meds and then see how he is. I was never one to give meds to my dogs when they had Pano, it was better to let them self limit their exercise. And some of the pain meds have side effects.
I wouldn't go to a dog park with him just coming off Pano. Maybe a play date with another dog where you can moniter his exercise. Swimming would be best, IMO for him right now.

·
2,967 Posts
I am not a vet. But whenever we ran into a bout of Pano we would give some meds for the pain if it was really bad and then pretty much let the dog determine what they want to do. You can tell when they are not feeling well and start to limp and stop wanting to move.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There is no reason to restrict movement for pano as it won't make anything worse. Let your dog restrict himself and give pain meds as needed.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog had pano on and off for
4 months. he had limited exercise.
our Vet said only give him his meds
if he starts limping. when you wean
your pup off the meds take him
for a short walk and see how it goes.
build up to the long walks.

when my dog had pano i massaged
his legs. sometimes i would put
ice in a towel and rub his legs with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts