German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 week old puppy is in hers from 12-3 in the afternoon why I am at school. Then I let her out she gets 30 minute walk and play with her ball some then I just leave her out with me in the house roaming till around 6-7pm then I put her back in it for a hour why I go to the gym then when im home I let her out till 9-9:30 pm then I put her back in it for her to go to sleep and she gets out of it when she wakes up at 8 am and goes back in at 12 pm. Sometimes I will put her in it randomly to get stuff done like homework or if shes tearing up a lot of stuff.

I feel like shes in it to much. How often is your puppy or dog in theirs.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
that doesn't seem like too much in my opinion, as long as she gets good exercise before she's stuck in there.
Mine is usually in her crate a combined total of maybe 4 hours during the day, sometimes 5 if I have to go out to eat, not all in a row. Honestly, if she is in there any less she refuses to take her own naps and settle herself down so it's a much needed nap time for her and sanity, get things done time for me :p

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You are fine - don't worry. She is a dog and will be fine with crate rest. It has more to do with you feeling bad/guilty about putting this cute little thing in a crate than with any negative repercussion on the dog.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My pup is in his crate on weekdays for 6 1/2 hours due to work and my husband works tens so he wouldn't be able to let him out any earlier and I don't trust my neighbors and they're all weary of my "big black german shepherd" haha even though he licks all of them :p . Gunther just sleeps some more so I really wouldn't be too concerned. As long as your pup is getting the proper exercise and attention you're good to go :)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
My guys go in their crates between 10 - 11 at night and come out between 7 - 10 (depending on our schedule).

So sometimes they are in there for almost 12 hours. When they decide they have had enough they start whining. Some days they start at 6 am :) and some days they let us sleep in.

Edited to add - mine are all adults.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My Jack came home too late to compare to a puppy, so I might not be much help here... And he had some difficulty adjusting to a house, so he spent a Lot of time in the crate. Actually, it was All the time when he was in the house, at first... For months. That was tough.

But now, much work later, he's Never crated. I haven't had to tell him to kennel up in months!

So, wherever you are right now, I promise you can get down to none with enough time and patience :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
zero seconds - i think it is a horrible place for a dog to be, i prefer to pick up the occasioanl poop or buy a new sock occasionally that i left out and the dog may have chewed.

prolly not what you wanted to hear when you posted but you posted.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When Eko was a puppy I kept him in the crate at night for about 4 hours then I get up to let him out then 4-6 more hours til I get up for the day. As he got older he was able to hold it all night and he was also crated when I had to leave and no one could watch him, then just recently we stopped putting him in there and he can be trusted to have the run of the house. He sleeps on our bed at night. Our new puppy will go through the same routine I try to crate only when necessary.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
That doesn't sound bad at all.

I think you are doing a fabulous job. Puppies need quiet moments throughout the day anyways. I know mine wouldn't settle unless I put them in a crate.

If your home and puppy is in the crate, give them a Kong or chew toy that way you can monitor the puppy and still have them safely put away while you complete chores or homework.

:) It will also lessen YOUR guilt! ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When Eko was a puppy I kept him in the crate at night for about 4 hours then I get up to let him out then 4-6 more hours til I get up for the day. As he got older he was able to hold it all night and he was also crated when I had to leave and no one could watch him, then just recently we stopped putting him in there and he can be trusted to have the run of the house. He sleeps on our bed at night. Our new puppy will go through the same routine I try to crate only when necessary.
Yeah athena has been holding her bladder through the night sense 13 weeks so I am thankful for that cause i got tired of getting up middle of the night. Now if I can only have her house broke by 18 weeks lol.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
My 15 week old puppy is in hers from 12-3 in the afternoon why I am at school. Then I let her out she gets 30 minute walk and play with her ball some then I just leave her out with me in the house roaming till around 6-7pm then I put her back in it for a hour why I go to the gym then when im home I let her out till 9-9:30 pm then I put her back in it for her to go to sleep and she gets out of it when she wakes up at 8 am and goes back in at 12 pm. Sometimes I will put her in it randomly to get stuff done like homework or if shes tearing up a lot of stuff.

I feel like shes in it to much. How often is your puppy or dog in theirs.
When its a puppy it is different. I kind of look at it like a play pen. As long as they have regular bathroom breaks and get out to run around it is a safe place while I get stuff done. As they are older they earn more freedoms. My adult dogs are never in their crates unless they go in there to sleep or if there is some kind of emergency I need them crated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Usually no more than 6 hours.

Our crate is in the kitchen, and the door is left open when we let our GSD out. Our GSD will often go into the crate on her own and lay down. The crate is supposed to be like a kid's room. They should feel free to go in at any time. When we had a Doberman, he did the same thing. We looked around one day and there he was, in the crate laying on his bed, sleeping. A properly crate trained dog views the crate as a place of comfort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand why people crate dogs, but I don't do it myself. One of my rescues used to be an absolute destructo-dog terror, but when it came time to decide what to do with the monster, we preferred a loose muzzle. The muzzle kept him from biting anything he shouldn't, while leaving enough space for him to pant and lap up a little water if he had to. And even then, it never stayed on him for more than four hours while both humans weren't home. I guess muzzling would depend on the dog, though; this one laid there and 'sulked' (while humans watched him), but he also sulks about wearing his harness for walking. He's maturing out of his puppy stage so he doesn't even need that anymore.

The other dogs roam free. We have a dog door leading to our fenced yard, so there's no worry about who might pee where. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand why people crate dogs, but I don't do it myself. One of my rescues used to be an absolute destructo-dog terror, but when it came time to decide what to do with the monster, we preferred a loose muzzle. The muzzle kept him from biting anything he shouldn't, while leaving enough space for him to pant and lap up a little water if he had to. And even then, it never stayed on him for more than four hours while both humans weren't home. I guess muzzling would depend on the dog, though; this one laid there and 'sulked' (while humans watched him), but he also sulks about wearing his harness for walking. He's maturing out of his puppy stage so he doesn't even need that anymore.

The other dogs roam free. We have a dog door leading to our fenced yard, so there's no worry about who might pee where. :)
well I put her in it because I have learned she is extremely smart and can figure out just about anything to get in to something to make me have to clean it up. She learned how to open cabinet doors shortly after being home for a week and will take everything out of them. She has learned how to open the fridge and steal things that are on the bottom self within her reach, she can open the oven door, and even work out way out of a play gate to block her from room to room. So I crate her as a safety issue cause shes smart enough to get in to everything. I have even duct taped all the cabinets shut and came home to all the tape on the ground and the doors open with everything out, tried those baby safety things and she just chewed them off to get back in. So I put her in her crate why im gone or at night so she wont hurt her self. Also helps cut down on potty accidents.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
A sock wouldn't be bad to replace, but what about a sofa? Cabinets? I know we can't afford to replace a whole house of items. Or electrical cords? There are too many dangerous items in a house to let a puppy roam by itself. It's like leaving a toddler home while you go to work. Not safe. I don't believe you should leave them in there all the time, but it won't hurt them.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
the problem isn't having to buy a new sock. the problem is when you are at the e-vet because the sock didn't come out the other side and now you're hoping that your dog doesn't die.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
usually no more than 6 hours but sometimes as much as 11. Seldom is she in there that long though.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
zero seconds - i think it is a horrible place for a dog to be, i prefer to pick up the occasioanl poop or buy a new sock occasionally that i left out and the dog may have chewed.

prolly not what you wanted to hear when you posted but you posted.
Well your lucky that they chew the sock and don't swallow it, then they get sick, have to have surgery to remove it and that isn't cheap...$1500-$2000, so if I had a dog that came even close to chewing a sock, in the crate it would go. Its a training tool and a safe place for the dog. It doesn't have to last forever.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I got mine at 12 weeks, she was out of the crate at night by 16 weeks. During the day she was in the crate for about 4 hours at a time. At night when I came home she was back out. That didn't work for potty training purposes. So for one month she was on a very strict schedule during the day and when I was home after work, basically she only came out for potty breaks and very short play sessions. That worked and she has been out of her crate since she was about 6-7 months. We have never looked back. Once she was potty trained she was trained...never any accidents and she doesn't chew or eat anything. She hated the crate, I know some dogs it takes a while for them to like it, but mine never liked it..I think she behaved so she didn't have to ever go back in it:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bella is almost a year old. We crate her while we are at work. It can be up to ten hours some days. She's been sleeping with us lately so we haven't had to crate her at night anymore for a few months. She probably could be uncrated during the day, but I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to slowly start testing her over the next few months.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts