German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knight had a vet appt today (no shots, just a checkup). He yapped a lot on the ride there and back. When we got home I ran around some with him some on the yard. He then looked tired so I brought him to his crate. He slept for almost 3 hours. I was worried he may have gotten sick, but his tail is wagging and he is eating and drinking...just want to make sure that's normal

thanks!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's just a baby- he'll sleep a great deal of the time. Something like a trip to the vet will take it out of him, all the excitement of riding in the car, getting an exam, seeing new people, etc. He's going to spend more time asleep than awake right now. Sounds like you're doing a great job with Knight!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Pups, like babies, need sleep. Don't worry, soon you will wish he slept more.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
....and, just like a kid, you will soon look back fondly on those days when they slept a lot........lol.
I remember my puppies sleeping the most after vet visits. For some reason, that is a lot of stress for pups. Must be trying to take in all the sights/sounds/smells. Someone once told me it would be like you or I going into a very brightly lit room with loud music playing and a strong wind blowing in your face. Lots of sensory overload.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia was very puppy like at her first vet visit during all the tech pre-check...then she fell sound asleep for the entire exam from the vet. That was the only time she was calm at the vet! She slept for a hour or two after 20 minutes of play when she was very young (under 10 weeks).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Puppy agenda: sleep a lot, drink a lot of water! I'm pretty sure Panzer drank more water as a young pup than he does now. :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Be happy that your puppy sleeps. I don't think my current dog slept for the first two years of his life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts