German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup was diagnosed with demodex a few months ago. So far we’ve tried two different anti-parasitic pills because it progressed rather than helping it subside, and now we’re using a topical.

Both times the vet couldn’t find any actual mites, and I’ve been told that if this topical doesn’t help stop the progression, then we need to consider bloodwork and other options.

I’ve also been told by some that it might be food allergies instead, but my female has food sensitivities and she is doing perfect on the Farmina that we feed, and I don’t see any ingredients in the food list that would be a trigger (lamb and pumpkin).

How long will it take to get his fur loss under control? I feel so sorry for him. Not only that, but I can’t take him to training because we haven’t confirmed what he has yet, and me and the club don’t want to risk it just in case.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
My dog is also solid black and has skin allergies. He had mange around 1 year old and the vet put him on Bravecto. It wiped out the mange immediately but caused bad skin eruptions. Once we realized it was the cause, I changed flea meds but the mange never came back.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
When we treat demodex in the rescue, Nexgard has been the most effective for us lately. Advantage Multi (Advocate) has also worked for us but it has to be used more frequently than once a month -- I honestly don't remember whether it was weekly or bi-weekly.

It can take several months for the fur to grow back. They start getting grey peach-fuzz after about a month, but it's a while before the fur fills in.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree with Magwart. My dog had demodex as a puppy. It was a small, isolated patch on his nose. Nexgard cleared it right up and it never came back. It took a couple of months for the hair to grow back.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our vet gave us Simparica for what she believed to possibly be demodex. She said it had been the most effective treatment in her experience. Unfortunately, my girls issues were found to probably not be demodex. She has mild allergies I believe it's what caused it. I changed her food to Victor Salmon, used chlorhexidine shampoo and made some lifestyle changes so I could be sure nothing else was causing it. It got better overall, but I can't say with certainty what helped the most for us.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone!

So far he has been on Nexguard (our normal anti-tick medication) with no improvement. The next medication was Symparica and the symptoms progressed. He’s now on Advantage II, a topical monthly anti-parasitic. My vet told me that if it’s mites, then the fur loss should stop within a month. The previous two medications did not stop any progression, so we’re trying this one now and is our last ditch effort before we start looking deeper into it.

Unfortunately both scrapings brought up nothing, and his fur loss looks very much like mange but also similar to allergies, so I was curious if it was mange if the symptoms should stop right away and it sounds like it should. So I think I’m dealing with really bad allergies if this medication doesn’t clear anything up, I’m just not sure what to.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has his thyroid been checked?
No, no blood work has been done because the vets were convinced it’s mange. We’re doing blood work if this last treatment doesn’t work.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I had a dog in the past tested positive for sarcoptic mange and she was treated and all itching stopped right away once treated . The vet did though first check thyroid and gave her prednisone for itching thinking allergies and was still tortured until she was treated for mange. Luna was scratching same time last year I had changed foods was not sure food or storage might, mange. Luna test negative for mange but treated anyway for satcoptic as the her itching indicated she had it and her hair thinning in places and we foxes in the woods. Once she was treated it stopped but the itching came back a few weeks later. She was Treated with cytopoint. Not sure if she had it and then had environmental allergy on top of that but Itching started again this past November around before or after her heat cycle and she was loosing hair. Same exact time last year. I did bring her in a lot sooner then last year. The vet gave a cytopoint injection and helped right away. I had just brought her in again for another cytopoint injection. As I did not see so much scratching but hair tail thinned out and ears to. I figure it’s environmental. I have no forced hot air and but the air gets dry. Not sure if it’s the dust from the radiator maybe or just something in the winter air but winter sets off her immune system. The cytopoint helps and it is safe. Photos as the vets office you can see her hair thinning on her ears and on her eyebrow and tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
If mites don‘t show up in a scraping, it’s probably allergies. Is your dog rubbing his face on anything? If he is, it’s probably an environmental allergy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If mites don‘t show up in a scraping, it’s probably allergies. Is your dog rubbing his face on anything? If he is, it’s probably an environmental allergy.
No, he doesn't rub his face on anything. It's all just itching and hair loss, and today we noticed progressed hair loss around the tips of his ears and now at his hocks. We're going to call the vet and book an appointment to do blood work and go from there. I think it must be allergies, three different anti-parasitic medications have done nothing to help him and from everyone else's experiences, it should have helped by now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update -

I'll be taking my dog to the vet to determine if it's thyroid or allergies. His fur loss has progressed beyond what it initially was at the beginning of this third anti-parasitic medication, and recently he has begun to obsessively chew his paws and rub his face. His ears are very red, and his eyes are starting to become gunky.

I think it's environmental, but I will be trying a new food to help. I'll make a new thread asking for food suggestions.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of his issues and get back to training and him not feeling horribly itchy, the poor guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts