German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my boy Nanook we've always used Frontline and it always worked fine. I think he had 1 tick when he was really young as a pup and apart from that I've never found another.

He's now reaching what I hope is his fully grown size, with adult coat of long long long long wavy white hair - and a huge body! Perfect place for a tick to hide. As he's grown I've switched him to the different Frontlines for his weight range and his last dose on 17th March was the 40kg + Giant dog Frontline stuff. They say you should medicate for ticks and fleas every month.

However I just found a medium (grossss) tick on the back of Nanook's fluffy head when he was sitting with me on the sofa. Ewwww. So apart from the fact that I now have to remove and kill a tick before it hurts Nanook or breeds in my house (ewwwwwwwwww) I am a bit peeved that it's only the 8th of April and no where near time to treat him for ticks etc again and well the Frontline obviously wore off a lot quicker than promised! Thankfully I have two pipette things of it in the cupboard so once the tick is removed I will apply a fresh one to Nanook.

So what about you guys? Do you use frontline? How long does it last on your big GSDs? Is there a better alternative? (I might not be able to get it if its not sold in the UK as we are UK not US :))

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use Frontline every 3 months(2x..May/Aug)..no fleas or ticks ever. BUT it depends on where you live and how bad fleas/ticks are.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
It also might be that he picked up the tick on his last trip outside and it hasn't "died off" yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts