German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midnite is going through them pretty quick. He has some powerful jaws. He is and we are guessing about a year and he acts like he's still teething. Does this kind of heavy duty chewing ever end? I was outside talking to a neighbor and he was getting excited and he bit the corner of the couch, I'm not kidding when I say one bite and he made a good sized tear right down to the wood. I don't foresee this dog being out of the crate for a long long long time.:(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried elk antlers? Nylabones are not a good option for a heavy chewer--ingesting that stuff can be dangerous!
I have the regular antlers, but he doesn't seem to want those. I am sticking with the bigger more durable nylabones for now, but I will look into the elk antlers for him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bully sticks are also a good option for power chewers.
Do they affect the stomach? He has issues when he gets new stuff that he eats. I think I have given him a Bully stick before, but it was during his icky poop phase and I removed everything that I thought could be a problem.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I give bullies as well and they don't bother Bear's stomach. I have heard of people soaking their antlers in a broth of sorts to make the antler more appealing. I haven't tried it because Bear can't have antlers anymore, he has problem teeth :(

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
A friend's large male just had an expensive trip to the vet due to crush and ingesting pieces of a nylabone. They're great for "scraper"-type chewers, but "crusher"-type chewers (who work to get large pieces) can get into trouble with them.

For antlers, some here have posted tooth injuries. I've never experiences that, but my current dogs are "scrapers." In my house, the key to keeping my primary chewer interested is to buy BROWN antlers (they're fresher, and the marrow inside is yummy, like a bone)--the white ones can be years old and sun-bleached. Brown ones are softer and will not last as long as white ones, though.

What about getting a medium-sized black kong, smearing peanut butter in it and letting him just jaw that? My old dog who passed away was a heavy "crusher"-type chewer, and she would sit happily for a long time just working the kong (even crushing it vertically over and over), as long as it was a medium-sized one (just right to squish, not too big).

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend's large male just had an expensive trip to the vet due to crush and ingesting pieces of a nylabone. They're great for "scraper"-type chewers, but "crusher"-type chewers (who work to get large pieces) can get into trouble with them.

For antlers, some here have posted tooth injuries. I've never experiences that, but my current dogs are "scrapers." In my house, the key to keeping my primary chewer interested is to buy BROWN antlers (they're fresher, and the marrow inside is yummy, like a bone)--the white ones can be years old and sun-bleached. Brown ones are softer and will not last as long as white ones, though.

What about getting a medium-sized black kong, smearing peanut butter in it and letting him just jaw that? My old dog who passed away was a heavy "crusher"-type chewer, and she would sit happily for a long time just working the kong (even crushing it vertically over and over), as long as it was a medium-sized one (just right to squish, not too big).
The kongs do not last that long. He gets through them in about a half hour...he is very determined. Where can I find the brown antlers? I got him a couple of the goghnuts and he plays with them, but what fun is it if he can't win?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts