German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how long your bitches allow their pups to nurse (as in age, not duration).

Kaynya went through a period when the pups were 5-6 weeks when she told them off if they tried. Now, at 8 weeks, she is suddenly letting them!! Makes it really difficult to get her dried up!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Not GSD but my Chis mom weaned Honeys Litter at 4 weeks. And would Bite and have nothing to do with them AT ALL. They said I could pick her up then but I waited till she was 6 weeks. Taclia (sp?) Was not a good mommy at all. When our rat terrier had her pups what a wonderful surprise to find out she was PG.:eyeroll: She let Gabe and Angle nurse till 16 weeks or so. A REALLY LONG time.
I'm interested to see all the diff ages because as we all know evey mommy is differant. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Nike's first litter she nursed to 7.5 weeks. Her second litter she would have nursed forever. I made her wean them at 7 weeks. Vala has less tolerance and starts getting tired of them around 6 weeks. She will let some suckle and some get head squeezes.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Jenna will let a litter nurse forever too. The pups would scarf the food I gave them up as well. Usually I leave mom to mop up the remainder for about a week, then I separate them from her when they are eating so Jenna does not eat it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts