German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take for your puppy to like his crate?

It's been a month and Z still hates his crate.
The crate has toys and chews in it. When I have a stuffed Kong or a treat and I say, it's nite nite time go to your crate, he will run! get in, lay down and wait for me to give him the reward.

When he is done, he will cry and cry and jump and spin and hit his paws and teeth all over the crate, top bottom and all sides.

I ignore him and he does settle down. Than wakes up at night yelps, and I take him out. When we get back in he will lay down in the room and give me puppy eyes. If I tell him let's go back in the crate, nite nite. He will go total shark mode on me!!! He will be a great schutzhund dog...... he has such a strong and painful bite and he will not let go for anything!!! so determined. anyways he is almost 13 weeks. I wonder how long until his crate becomes his happy place?

On the other hand, he used to hate his ex-pan and now he LOVEs it in there, he always tries to lead me to it instead of the crate. He does have toys in there and we feed him in there. I would combine the two, but it's plastic and he will be able to clear it soon. He learned he has back legs and starting to jump pretty high.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just a few nights. The first few nights she cried for a short while but then dropped off to sleep.

Now when I'm ready to go out the door for work I just say, "C'mon, lets get in your crate" and she goes right to it and gets in.

At least I'm thankful she doesn't see it as punishment and it hasn't created separation anxiety. I know she associates getting in the crate with me leaving because that is the only time she's in it, except for when I vacuum.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I ignore him and he does settle down. Than wakes up at night yelps, and I take him out. When we get back in he will lay down in the room and give me puppy eyes.
What do you do when you take him out? I'm guessing you mean to go 'out' to go potty. What do you do when you're outside with him? How long do you take from taking him out of crate, potty and then back in again?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Penny was fairly good, it took her a good 2 weeks before she was totally comfortable with the kennel... Now all I have to do is say kennel and she hops right in without fighting, she also goes there to nap during the day she has earned the right to stay out of the crate at night as she has never chewed anything and has been house broken for quite a while now, the only time she is actually locked in the crate now is when I am not home.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you do when you take him out? I'm guessing you mean to go 'out' to go potty. What do you do when you're outside with him? How long do you take from taking him out of crate, potty and then back in again?
Well at 3 AM he will run to the door as soon as I open the crate, he will usually potty right away and than lay in the grass, try to eat stuff or runs to the door and is ready to go back in. He will run into the room and lay-down near the crate, but not in it. Sometimes grabs a toy from the crate. and back out with it. If I get a treat he will go in at his own free will and lay-down. That obedience lasts for 2 seconds after the treat is eaten.

I tried to walk for a few min to get him a bit tired, but he will just flop and wont move outside or runs to the door.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Penny was fairly good, it took her a good 2 weeks before she was totally comfortable with the kennel... Now all I have to do is say kennel and she hops right in without fighting, she also goes there to nap during the day she has earned the right to stay out of the crate at night as she has never chewed anything and has been house broken for quite a while now, the only time she is actually locked in the crate now is when I am not home.
When I get the puppy eyes I tried to leave him out and close the door to our room. But he will shark mode anyway and start attacking blankets, pillows, jumping on the dresser to pull something off.... He is almost 13 weeks, still a baby. Not sure how to help/correct this.

I also feel like he is getting too hot in the crate and hates the padding so i took away all that and took the towel off the crate. He is always panting while in it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
When I get the puppy eyes I tried to leave him out and close the door to our room. But he will shark mode anyway and start attacking blankets, pillows, jumping on the dresser to pull something off.... He is almost 13 weeks, still a baby. Not sure how to help/correct this.

I also feel like he is getting too hot in the crate and hates the padding so i took away all that and took the towel off the crate. He is always panting while in it.
Panting is not just an indication of them being hot, its a strong indication of stress

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Have you tried tossing the treat in before he goes into the crate? Then vocally praising him when he goes in? After that, walk away (go back to bed).

Set him up to succeed. Keep the (kennel) treats of high value. Keep them handy so you don't have to walk into another room or away from the kennel to get them. Toss the treat into the kennel, give the command (kennel, load, crate) when he goes in, he self rewards with the treat waiting for him. You reward vocally.

When he goes out at night to potty, that's all he's allowed to do. Don't play, walk, or give attention to him. Let him potty, reward for that behavior, walk back to the house, toss the high value treat into the kennel, vocally reward for that behavior and go back to bed.

During the day you can play crate games with him. You can teach him to go into the crate (reward) and wait (door open, reward) then call him back out (reward). But at night, it's an entire new game. Night time crate is for sleeping. When he gets older, he won't need the potty break during the night.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
During the day you can play crate games with him. You can teach him to go into the crate (reward) and wait (door open, reward) then call him back out (reward). But at night, it's an entire new game. Night time crate is for sleeping. When he gets older, he won't need the potty break during the night.
This I will try!
He has no problem getting in there and I do the treat surprises.
He will usually beat me to the room and to the crate and all I hear is it rattle lol. He knows there will be a treat. But when he is done! that's when he cries and bangs on the sides. He settles down within a few minutes, but if I go to the bathroom myself he will go crazy in the crate and cry if I leave the room. I will try the games.

Also I work full time, 8-9 hours and I leave him in the ex-pan and some days crate. When the puppy sitter stops in he is usually relaxed and sleeping. ( she comes in twice during the day to check on him and feed him/take him out).

I think I will try giving him his marrow bones only in the crate. That will be his special crate only treat. he loves it and keeps him busy until he is tired!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Penny accepted it in a few days of getting her. At times it was difficult to get her in but she wouldn't whine or anything. It took about a month for her to really go in at will when you open the door but she does now

·
Registered
179 Posts
What I made sure to do was to make crate a positive place and never ever let him out when he whine unless it is in the morning or I know he needs to go potty. If I give in once, he is going to whine again until he has it his way.

Lincoln doesn't love his crate but I don't think he hates it either. I give him treat when he get himself into the crate. He gets it to the point that when he hear the treat bag move he will run to the crate and sit in there and wait. (one time I meant to give him treat for other thing he did I turnaround and he was gone I have to go find him in the crate in the bedroom hahaha)

But when I close the crate, he would make this "sigh" noise and lie down unwillingly lol

He is now trusted enough to be out of the crate and all day even while we are not home. But he is still crated at night in our bedroom. So he doesn't throw a fit so much anymore.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also don't think we get him tired enough. I need to read up on how much we can do at 13 weeks.

Our yard is terrible and parks are not safe yet.
Not that much we can do inside the house, but tug a bit.

We do have a pool.... and I have to suck it up and just get in, no matter how cold the water is. And try to teach Z, he tries to swim in his water dish so I should introduce the pool. Maybe evening swims will be good? safe on joints and even I get so tired after being the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts