Votes: 34 21.1%
  • 7 or more straight

Votes: 54 33.5%

• Total voters
341 - 360 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Total 0. Proplems at first but now at The age 25 weeks over, freeroam at The House alone, while i am working and no pees, poops, or any destruction..

·
Registered
61 Posts
we have an odd mix, the most it ever ends up though is 9 or 10 hours like 1 or 2 days a week depending on our work schedules. most days were lucky though as my fiancé is off twice during the week and I'm off all weekend, on days our work overlaps the two that get put in kennels see maybe 5 hours tops.

my gsd mix free roams all day but as a puppy she spent 12 hours a day in a kennel for a while due to my work schedule. it was rough and I felt bad but I retained her from a previous relationship as a 10 week old puppy and no way was I going to give her up and the girl that left moved out of state and couldn't take her. thankfully that wasn't long lived and shes treated like royalty anyway in the house lol.

the other two, one 10 y/o yorkipoo stays out at night or while we are home but in her old age seems to be fond of her kennel during the day while no one is home plus if left out she will pee on the floor from time to time. the other a 1 y/o mini aussie is a terror if left alone and will destroy things out of boredom. at night lately weve been trying to leave him out but **** open his kennel door and go in to sleep anyway. when we put our shoes on to leave he runs to his kennel already as he knows its time to rest.

its not perfect and we would love to have them all out all the time but some of it is for their own safety and some if just they cant be trusted. to offset this we made sure when building a new home to purchase a plot with plenty of land so that they have easy access to outside while were home to train and play.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Currently only about 4 hours max during the weekday. I work nights and my wife works days, so our schedule works best for our puppy at the moment but not my wife. Since I spend more time with the dog than her lol. When we have gone out she spends about 6 hours in her crate. When it comes to sleep she can easily go to sleep at 9:30 till around 6 when she starting whining to go out and pee.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I currently run a business out of my parents house, so I'm home all day with the dogs. I do put my shepherd puppy in his crate if I need to go anywhere that I cannot bring him. He has pretty bad separation anxiety and destroys everything he can get his mouth on. I don't see any point in crating my adult dog while I'm gone, but when he was a puppy he was crated for at least 8 hours a day while I went to work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Aussie goes to work with me. She has to stay in her crate due to dangers in the shop. Welding and grinding sparks and chasing mice in the steel,rack. She gets to go on walks in the field about four times a day for 20-30 minutes each depending on weather. Sometimes she likes to stay in the truck but it has to be cloudy and no warmer than 60. I check her hourly and the windows are open. At home she has the run of the house. The kitchen floor or bathroom floor are favorites. I have the leave a few dirty clothes on the bedroom floor for her too. She has a nice bed but only sleeps there for a couple hours when really tired. She will curl up on the bed for a while either on her blanket or on my pillows. She is really restless sleeper often waking me in the wee hours to go out.

My GSD preferred to stay in his kennel or run in the fenced back yard. He rarely came in the house except for really rotten weather. Then he curled up by the door. He would rest on his carpet or blanket but usually scratched it to a pile and maybe rested his head on it. He would curl up next to me while I was reading but if I moved he would head for the door.

The Boxers were like partners. They all slept on the bed, taking as much of it as possible. Infamous for passing gas, they would look at me like I did it. Sometimes even barking like they were cussing at me.

Byron.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a kennel run in the back yard (covered with wire/tarp 6'x8'); if we left for any length of time, Wiena would stay in there where
she was protected. I didn't want to leave her in the house in case there was a fire, there would be no
way out.
When we kept her in a crate at church, it was for only a couple of hours, then out to play with the kids after church.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hate crating during the day, but no backyard and too many accidents made me do it. Starting after breakfast, she has supervised free roam of the living/ dining room. When I notice her sniffing around too much for my liking, then she goes in the crate for 1-1.5 hrs. She's then let out, we go potty, then she's back into the free roam area

At night, she's crated from 9 or 10pm- 7am. She's let out every 4-5hrs

She's doing better with free roam. Used to have an accident if it was longer than 10mins. We've been crating more the last week and tonight she was out for 30-40mins playing with toys and such before I put her in the crate. I think she's finally getting it

She's only 13wks

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
We brought the crate back out since it's christmas time and lots of dangerous decorations he could eat. Not to mention tons of relatives over, turkeys with bones he could choke on and visitors feeding him things he is allergic to... I would just rather not. It also gives him a safe place to escape to from all the noise and excitement if he wants, he loves his crate. He is great in the house and never destructive when I leave him out (up to 5 hours on occasion). But I do accept no matter how perfect he normally is he is still a puppy and all those cables and tinsel could do some serious damage. The crate will go back up after the holidays.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm going to update my last post (only 3 posts up) that for the last few weeks, Zoe has been allowed to be out of her crate all day and she's almost 5mos now. She is still mostly confined to the living/ dining room area, but she is allowed access to the hall and kitchen frequently and if the cats aren't there

We still crate at night from 11pm-ish until 7am-ish. We will prob continue that until at least 1yr old or we know 100% that she's housebroken... which I don't believe she is quite yet

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
I am a big fan of crates, and a big fan of not crating. I prefer kenneling them. Right now, Heidi is the only one I shut in a crate, and only for an hour or so when I am taking care of the other critters. Babs and Jenna and Quinnie have crates in their in/outs, that have their gates tied open, so they can rest in them if they choose to.

When it got miserably cold a few days ago, I brought Odie in and crated her in the hallway, along with Lassie. I through Kojak in with Jenna so he would have an in/out. I put Heidi in her crate. I brought Joy in and crated her next to Heidi. I used an x-pen to hook to a 4'x32" crate to give Hepsi and Cujo an area. I crated Milla next to Ninja. Crated Bear across from them. Brought Babsy and Quinnie up into my bedroom, and gave the rest of the sun-room (where most of them were crated) to Karma and Ramona, where they could go in an out.

A month ago, I took Quinnie, who has never been shut in a crate, to the IX center for a dog show. It is called the Classic and generally there are thousands of dogs and maybe twice as many people there. In order to do the walk-through, you either have to crate your dog, or have someone hold your dog and as I was there on my own, I needed a crate. I was hoping to get a soft crate (lighter), but no luck. I bought a small metal crate and put it up and put her in it. I sat next to it, then walked off to sign in and get my number and come right back. I took her out of the crate, and waited until the walk-through to put her back in. She made no fuss. None.

After she got through her run, (I promised her a hot dog), I put her in the crate and walked out of sight and was gone for a good 15 minutes, maybe more getting her a hot dog and me a pretzel. I came back and she was calmly lying down in the crate with her paws crossed waiting for me. We had two shows on Saturday and one on Sunday, and repeated that with no problems. Frankly, I would not have faulted her if she carried on like a banshee. Who does that to a dog in their first show? Lock them in a crate when they have never been crated before in their life? Probably the same person who put her on a down stay and then walked over and sat at a table in the same show and ate lunch with her nieces, while the show went on around her.

At night she still carries my sandles to me in the bed when she thinks it is time for me to get up and let her out. She has a rather extensive petting zoo of animals that she brings into my bed. I never know what I might wake up next to. But she is cute, and I love her and all her toysies. It is funny to roll over onto Flea or Snakey, or Badger or Skunky. Lady Bug, or Bee or a rather soggy Bear and so many more. As long as she doesn't bring me the toilet brush -- I think she was trying to tell me something that day.

But the answer is, regularly, 1 hour. Occasionaly, 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sitka is crated for about 7 hours, 5 days a week while I work out of the house. I make sure he's fed and watered, and play a bit in the am. Sometime I can sneak away from work for 10 minutes and let him out to stretch and potty, then straight back until I'm finished at work. Once I'm home I try to do everything with him. We play outside, train, and feed. I don't usually kennel him when I'm home unless he needs a chill pill, and he sleeps wherever he drops while I'm home. On The weekends he is hardly crated, unless I have to run an errand he can't attend. Otherwise it's all fun and games!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Jax is crated from 7:30 till 12:30 Mon-Thurs. My neighbor comes over and lets him out for about 20 mins then puts him back in and he is out again at 3 when my daughter comes home off the bus. He is rarely crated Fri-Sunday, only if I have errands to run, and sleeps with me at night. Eventually I will phase out having my neighbor come over and he will be crated from 7:30 till 3.

He will be 7 mo on the 16th of this month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have had 5 Shepherds and only the last two have been crated. We generally only use the crate in the daytime for an hour at the most when our guy gets too rambunctious and needs a timeout. During the night we crate him when we turn in, otherwise he is up on the bed, which we don't want. Our last Shepherd was allowed on the bed and he became overly possessive and thought the bed was his. He loves his crate and all we have to do is say "Crate" and he streaks for the bedroom to get in. We keep the crate by the bed so he always feels part of the pack. We never use the crate as a "punishment!" The crate needs to be a place of refuge and safety for him, especially when the grandchildren visit!

It seems counter productive to leave home and not let the Shepherd have free reign of the house, since only a complete idiot would try to break into a house with a German Shepherd home. We started this "free reign" idea in small increments making sure each time that he was not going to suffer separation anxiety and tear the house up. We can now leave him for hours alone with free access to everything. This method has worked very well with our last two Shepherds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The way mine and my husbands schedule works they aren’t crated for more then 4-5 hours at a time. He comes home from work just as I’m leaving. And then pups are crates when he gets ready to sleep. By the time he leaves I’m on my way home. If we go out to run errands or do anything we try to be back an hour before max bladder Capacity which is around 6 hours at their age.

Even then I usually don’t like to be gone for more then 4 hours without coming home to let them out and play before leaving again.

If we are going to going out in a different city or going to be out late, we have my husbands younger brother come over to sit with them.

He will take them to the bathroom every couple hours and play with them. We tell him he can put them inside the crate when it get late to sleep, but when he’s there but he usually just let them sleep outside the crate all night till we get home while he plays video games.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lex was crated overnight for the 1st couple of months. Not any more. We have a gated living room/ kitchen area and someone is home most of the time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Zero.
He's a totally nondestructive dog who has never had an accident in the house (knock on wood).
However, before you begin to compare...he has other significant issues, believe me!!

He is crate-trained though and will go in when I point (trained behavior left over from his first few months with us, when he was crated every night.)

341 - 360 of 361 Posts