Votes: 34 21.1%
  • 7 or more straight

Votes: 54 33.5%

• Total voters
321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure I wouldn't like being crated. But then, I'm a human, not a direct descendant of the wolf, meant to seek out a den.

Crating feeds right into the dog's natural denning instinct. If you pay attention, you'll probably notice your dogs curling up in corners, under tables and other den like spaces

It's only when we insist on projecting human traits onto our dogs that we misread them badly. Often to the detriment of the dog.

Couldn't of said it better!

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I use to think crates were messed up, but I soon found their value. None of my previous dogs were crate trained. Our youngest Ollie loves his and uses it throughout the day his choice. He's also restricted activity while he heals up from his groin pull. Ranger our other male used one while he recovered from his acl tear and surgery. I don't know how you'd keep them from causing further damage while in recovery without containment.

Competing in close quarters venues would be a nightmare without a crate, we use soft crates for that.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I'm sure I wouldn't like being crated. But then, I'm a human, not a direct descendant of the wolf, meant to seek out a den.

Crating feeds right into the dog's natural denning instinct. If you pay attention, you'll probably notice your dogs curling up in corners, under tables and other den like spaces

It's only when we insist on projecting human traits onto our dogs that we misread them badly. Often to the detriment of the dog.
I think we need to be careful about these comparisons.
Wolves may have had dens but they spent many hours hunting, even days if need be. That can hardly be compared to a dog spending 10 t0 20 hours a day in a crate and going on a few walks or playing.
Wolves that are tracked have been found several states away from where they were released. I am no wolf expert but wolves really work for their keep.
The thread originally was about length of time spent in a crate, not whether crates were good or bad.
My personal opinion is that crates can be very useful but too many dogs do spend too much time in them.
I grew up pre crate and somehow we survived.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I only crate(d) my dog(s) overnight for the first year. After the first year Scout would sleep in his crate sometimes since I left the door open. Otherwise he slept with his head facing the sliding glass door like he was on watch. He was always good to push his big wet nose in the middle of my back to let me know when he had to go outside.

Ranger currently is crated up at night and I take him out a minimum of once a night. During the day when I'm working I keep him in his kennel outside.

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
I grew up pre-crate. Our dog was chained in the back yard with a dog house 98% of the time. The dog was trained to stay in the kitchen or back hallway if it was well below 0. That was pre-crate.

When we first got Princess, I was 16, my sister 18. Since I had to go to school earlier, my sister got stuck cleaning up all the poop throughout the house when the dog was sick and trying to wake us to go out. I don't know if being crated would have made that easier or not. But it would have kept her out of the garbage. That dog too landed outside with a dog house. She lived beyond 14 and survived an aggressive form of stomach cancer. But I think she would not have been any the worse off for being crated at night. The first dog we crated was Pip, the English Setter. He was a house dog his entire life, about 15 years.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Crates came along way. I remember the crates had wider openings on the top of the crate which our collie pup had gotten her head stuck in. I'm glad I was home to catch that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
9 AM to 1 PM then 2 PM to 330 PM for the first few months. Then we moved to baby gating him in the kitchen/breakfast area for the same time periods. Not much trouble he can get into unless he chews on table and chair legs, and that hasn't happened. Our last one had the run of the house once she was no longer a puppy and could be trusted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not want this to be my first post, but I am disspointed to see so many crate their dogs and for so long, in a forum I thought well of. Why is there no 0 option?

I would get a crate if the potty training is worth it and to give my dog a little house for her own. Other reasons, no, the owner should do everything possible to fix the problems the dog has, that is their responsibility. Chewing and getting on the furniture is trainable. If the owner needs help, training classes. Is the house kept tidy and child/dog safe? Has cordoned off areas been tried? Cage is a last resort, and I have a feeling too many use it as the easy way and make excuses instead.

Maybe I am exceptionally lucky I have a good dog but my dog is left alone in the house at night while we are asleep or for an hour or two if we go out. I have never come home to anything worse than a chewed pencil, she does not get in the trash, she doesn't go inside the rooms where she is not allowed, she does not get on the sofa, she'd leave her calling card, fur on the couch, if she did. If we are gone for longer periods of time she is outside in our large backyard. I guess I am also very lucky that in the 25 years and five dogs (three GSDs, two adopted mutts) I have had nothing has happened to them when they were left outside. I do not believe cage users love their dog so much more than others that they only cage their dog to coddle them away from any bizarre dangers she may face unsupervised.

I know the general response here is going to be to each his own/its my business, well the idea of a dog, a German Shepherd no less, in a wire box for 7 hours bothers me and that the pracitce seems to be becoming more common. A dog is not a toy to put away when its convenient. If the general member here does use a cage, I feel I cant be a member here after all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did not want this to be my first post, but I am disspointed to see so many crate their dogs and for so long, in a forum I thought well of. Why is there no 0 option?

I would get a crate if the potty training is worth it and to give my dog a little house for her own. Other reasons, no, the owner should do everything possible to fix the problems the dog has, that is their responsibility. Chewing and getting on the furniture is trainable. If the owner needs help, training classes. Is the house kept tidy and child/dog safe? Has cordoned off areas been tried? Cage is a last resort, and I have a feeling too many use it as the easy way and make excuses instead.

Maybe I am exceptionally lucky I have a good dog but my dog is left alone in the house at night while we are asleep or for an hour or two if we go out. I have never come home to anything worse than a chewed pencil, she does not get in the trash, she doesn't go inside the rooms where she is not allowed, she does not get on the sofa, she'd leave her calling card, fur on the couch, if she did. If we are gone for longer periods of time she is outside in our large backyard. I guess I am also very lucky that in the 25 years and five dogs (three GSDs, two adopted mutts) I have had nothing has happened to them when they were left outside. I do not believe cage users love their dog so much more than others that they only cage their dog to coddle them away from any bizarre dangers she may face unsupervised.

I know the general response here is going to be to each his own/its my business, well the idea of a dog, a German Shepherd no less, in a wire box for 7 hours bothers me and that the pracitce seems to be becoming more common. A dog is not a toy to put away when its convenient. If the general member here does use a cage, I feel I cant be a member here after all.
Most dogs are ok with the den like nature of a crate as long as it is within reason. I know Samson still voluntarily took naps in his crate until we moved it to the garage. I do agree that 7 hours uninterrupted is excessive, and not something we do.

For us, we definitely have to keep him in the kitchen for now. He's big enough to get his head up to beds, chairs, and tables, but young enough to think that foil candy wrapper our daughter left out is something worth eating. Or the lamp chord, TV remote, etc. One can only train to those things when they're at home.

Our last Shepherd never had a crate. I did come home once to find she had dragged the couch accross the living room and deposited in front of the door. It was very confusing when the door wouldn't open that afternoon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never used a crate and never thought I would either until I got my new puppy. I work a lot of hours and on average he is in his cage about 8 or 9 hours unless I have to work overtime then it can be as much as 12 hours. I always felt a crate was unnecessary and kind of cruel but now I understand the importance of it. If I don't keep an eye on Drako being he is 11 weeks he gets into everything. He's learning his boundaries but still likes to tug on lamp cords and chew on the edge of the furniture. If I left him roam he'd have my house destroyed and possibly hurt himself. He's to the point where when he is out, he plays and goes back to his cage occasionally and takes a nap on his own. I have talked to many people who are in the same situation I am in.... single, working a lot with a new puppy and they do the same thing I do and thier dogs have all adjusted well.

For now when Drako is out he gets plenty of exercise and play time and when I have to leave he almost seems to know and goes to his cage and gets in it when I gather up his toys and put them in the cage. I'm very surprised he doesn't cry or freak out, he takes his favorite toy to his pillow and lays down.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My dogs are crates for zero hours per day. I leave them alone for 2-4 hours a day 2 days a week. Anything over 4 hours and I?m not happy.

I do everything in my power to never have to leave them alone for more than 4 hours at a time. I?m a full time college student who works as well and this has worked out wonderful

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gunner is crated 9-10 hours during the week while I'm at work and he's fine with it. When I get home we go out for a 4-5 mile hike and he's out rest of the evening until bedtime. He's 2 years old and still can't be trusted to have free roam of the house. Weekends he's out mostly unless I need to leave for a bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We picked up Neo at about 9 weeks old this summer. My wife stays at home so we didn’t need to crate our pup very much. Around 3-4x a week for an hour or two while we went to the gym or out to dinner. He really didn’t care for it despite us doing everything “right” for him to enjoy it.

At about 12 weeks old we left for a 2 month cross country camping trip. We camped 38/41 nights. Needless to say, we never crated him as we were with him 24/7. Maybe once every few days we would leave him in the car (running and locked) for an hour while we worked out or the other rare thing. After 8000 miles in the car he was completely peaceful in there.

Once we finished the trip, we used the crate a bit more and he loves it now. We’ll be watching tv in the living room and he just goes to a back room and lays down in his crate. He’ll do it for hours, sometimes even just play in there, door open.

As long as your dog clearly enjoys it, nothing wrong with putting them in there. Just make sure you give them plenty of exercise and training when they are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've gone through different potty training styles and have landed on giving her freedom of the living/ dining room. She is only crated for an hr at breakfast and an hr at dinner. I'm home to take her out every 10-20mins

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Milla is crated for 45minutes to 1 hour per day. I have crates open for Jenna, Babs, and Quinnie, and sometimes they go in them. Jenna sleeps in hers, it is an airline crate and it is like a cave. I think Babs sleeps in hers some of the time. Hard to say. At night she sleeps next to my bed. Quinnie sleeps in my bed.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts