Votes: 34 21.1%
  • 7 or more straight

Votes: 54 33.5%

• Total voters
301 - 320 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is your opinion and in my opinion it is like putting your dog in jail!!! And that is that,, how would you like to be in a little tiny room? It could be positive for yo to, if your jailer was positive, ya. I am 65 years old and have had at least one GSD since I was 21 and I have never crated a one of them and I see absolutely no reason to. With the correct training they will do no damage to your home. I also had some punks try to break into my house and my dog bit the guy and the 2 of them ran off. Sure glad I didn't have him crated because who knows what these guys were up to. I don't want to start a fight but I am positive that their is more than one person who agrees with me and you should start a poll asking that.
I don't think you understand what selzer is trying to say. My dog, Ajax is 11 months old and we haven't used his crate in months for confinement. He's earned his freedom. He's the perfect dog when his left alone in the house, no accidents, nothing chewed on. Even so we have kept the crate. Every couple days, I tell him "bed time" and he happily runs to his crate and I give him a treat. Sometimes I let him out immediately, other times I wait a little.

I also don't like the idea of confining him, but it doesn't matter if you or I think of the crate as jail. What I don't want is my dog thinking of the crate as jail. That's a very important distinction. There is going to be a situation outside of my control that necessitates him being confined, an example would be if he had to stay at the vet's, and when that situation occurs, I don't want him being stressed due to the crate or cage.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I'm somewhat in 115pounds camp.....granted I used a very large enclosure outside with an access door to a dog house inside the garage for a very short time period.....but ultimately all of my dogs earned full access to the inside of the house when no one was home.

I can appreciate the need for keeping dogs separated in multi-dog families at times.....but I've only had one dog at a time...I'm sure it makes things much easier.

I'm not positive about this...but the dog crate was "invented" in the 1960's.....so millions of people somehow managed to do without for quite some time.

I don't care one way or another what others do regarding crates......I just know what works for me and my dogs over the decades....plus....there's nothing like that warm greeting every time I open that front door upon my return.

SuperG

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Shadow is crated while I am at work. It is for her protection not because she is bad.
She has proven that her curiousity will get her in trouble. She is the dog that climbs shelves to investigate shadows and reflections.
I leave her loose for the hours that I am home and she does fine for a few minutes alone. She sleeps on my bed with me. I cannot think she is suffering. She likes her crate and will paw the door open to get in.
If I expect to be late I have someone stop by and let her out to pee.
I have recently debated emptying the spare room out and leaving her loose in there with her toys. I am just worried about the window. She has already gone through one.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Id like to see all the anti-crate people raise a working dog with out a crate. And "train" a 3 months high drive pup not to chew anything... please
My Czech (obviously WL) puppy has mega food drive, he learned the word "treats!" for crate. He can't hurl himself in there fast enough. He does a cute little happy dance spin in his way inside. He's done so well with his housebreaking and keeping his crate clean, he just graduated to his Big Boy Box--a Size 700 (Grate Dane size).

My eight year old girl has free run of the house, but I find her asleep in her crate all the time. Whenever she's not close to me, I know she's put herself in her crate.

I really don't remember how we raised puppies before crates. I started using one at a friend's recommendation in 1986. I don't remember before that. We do tend to block out traumatic experiences.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I usually crate two of my girls(puppies) during the day if I have to run out to the store or at night time.. so not very often(during day). Otherwise my three others have the run of the house all the time!
I love the crates. It has saved my house and all of my things! Lol I can't imagine coming home with all of them out. Hopefully the younger ones will learn and can leave them out too. I'm sure it will happen in a few months. They love the crate and so do I! I had my three older ones crate trained when they were young. And sometimes I find them laying in the crate!!
It's a safe and cozy place to take a nap :smile2:
Once dogs have learned enough manners to be let out of the house then I'll take away the crates!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I forgot to mention.
My first dog. We did not crate train her! She chewed through three floors, madehuges holes right to the wood. She also chewed dry wall to the insulation! She was bad! She chewed through cupboards to grt to the garbage.. learned my lesson after that! Crates are excellent!! And it is certainly.not a jail! They love it!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
My Czech (obviously WL) puppy has mega food drive, he learned the word "treats!" for crate. He can't hurl himself in there fast enough. He does a cute little happy dance spin in his way inside. He's done so well with his housebreaking and keeping his crate clean, he just graduated to his Big Boy Box--a Size 700 (Grate Dane size).

My eight year old girl has free run of the house, but I find her asleep in her crate all the time. Whenever she's not close to me, I know she's put herself in her crate.

I really don't remember how we raised puppies before crates. I started using one at a friend's recommendation in 1986. I don't remember before that. We do tend to block out traumatic experiences.
That last line made me spit coffee through my nose! Lol.
I did not bother with crates until I got a Great Dane. The list of things she ate and destroyed is long and a bit disturbing. It includes the crate.
I am fuzzy on the details but I remember sitting on the floor crying a lot. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,402 Posts
I've tried to take Russell's crate away from him several times, but it always results in a meltdown. He's convinced he can't eat without it. No matter what I try, he wants his crate back. So it sits in the dining room and the puppy uses it as her bed sometimes

I think years ago we shut puppies up in the bathroom or the utility room with a gate usually. I've been using crates for 30 years. Every puppy I've had for the last 20 years has been raised at the grooming shop, in a Great Dane crate. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
We keep Luna in the crate a few hours during the day and at night. She is only 5 months old. When we brought her home she adjusted to the crate right away and in the car. Topper we has a crate which he will sleep in all day he can come and go as he pleases. When we leave the house Topper will gets locked in the crate. We also have a garage and the basement area if gone for long periods of time. As of now Max is the only one who has free reign in the house when we are gone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got our first GSD 20 plus years ago. That girl could take out an electric socket faster than you could get a car down the drive. And trust me, I did climb out of a downstairs window and back the car down the slope without turning on the engine on when she was asleep in the hope she wouldn't notice. She did!! She was a year old when we got her and it took a lot of hard work and extensive remodelling of our house (by her!!) before she calmed down.
My second pup, funnily enough, was in a crate from day one. We could have stopped using the crate really early on with her but she got so stressed without it, that we kept it up all her life.
My current pup, we got at 5 months, she is a chewer but thanks to the crate, she is entertained by her nylabones and kongs when she is in there and I don't have to worry about leaving her. She is very happy to go into her crate.

·
Super Moderator
2,395 Posts
I can appreciate the need for keeping dogs separated in multi-dog families at times.....but I've only had one dog at a time...I'm sure it makes things much easier.
^ That, is key.

If you are a multi-dog family, and you add in random "guest" dogs that you watch for friends and family, or foster, options for separation are absolutely needed.

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
I baby-gate more than I crate, which is kind of nice when I am there and when I am not because the dog doesn't need to break out. They can of course climb over the x-pen and the baby gate, and probably hang out watching videos all day in my living room, and when they hear the car in the drive, they hide the popcorn and scramble back over their respective baby gates.

Well anyway, the Werewolf is a little over one and ready to have my room the bathroom and the hall at night. Or so I thought. I cannot just open her gate and let her have her area and the doggy door to the outside as well, or all my underwear would be outside on the melting snow every day.

But if I close that gate, she can play with her toys, and come up to sleep with me. And that usually means I wake up with Skunky and Snakey, and Ducky, and Squirrel, and half a dozen of her other "pets." Yesterday I woke up with her soggy skunk and Squirrel, and my shoe! Who wants to sleep with a men's size 9.5 4E trainer that has been in service for over a year???

Ah well, we'll try again with my shoes up on a shelf. At least she did not molest the shoe in any way.

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
^ That, is key.

If you are a multi-dog family, and you add in random "guest" dogs that you watch for friends and family, or foster, options for separation are absolutely needed.
If you have multiple dogs or multiple bitches or both and you haven't nicked their nads, than you probably will need some manner of reliable separation. Sorry but throwing a towel at them from across the room, or using a bonker is not going to work when your little missie is flagging for your boy. And it certainly will not carry forward when you are not there to supervise.

And if you have bitches that don't get along, your only alternative may be rehoming if you aren't willing to separating and you don't want one to kill the other when you are there or not there.

I am not in favor of crating for hours on end. If the dog needs to be crated 10 hours/day when you are working and traveling to and from, and 6-8 hours at night while you are sleeping, you need to re-think your set up and make some changes.

·
Super Moderator
5,402 Posts
Scarlet (a little over 5 months old) sleeps loose at night. The lights are off, the big dogs go to sleep, and she does too. In the morning I find her either in Russell's crate, or the recliner. She goes to work with me, so she spends those days in a huge crate, but sleeps most of the time she's there. Someone always seems to be at home lately, so she's rarely crated there, unless everyone is going to be gone.

Crates are a great tool, and every dog is different. Use accordingly!

·
Super Moderator
2,395 Posts
Right. Or, you foster or do favors for friends. Leaving Unknown Guest Dog loose in the house with your own resident dogs while you go out for the evening could end badly.

A number of my friends are having babies at the moment, and our house has been jokingly referred to as the Dog Maternity Resort. Someone has to watch the canines while the humans are all gathered at the hospital. Crates are good.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That last line made me spit coffee through my nose! Lol.
I did not bother with crates until I got a Great Dane. The list of things she ate and destroyed is long and a bit disturbing. It includes the crate.
I am fuzzy on the details but I remember sitting on the floor crying a lot. Lol.
Ooohhh, I just love Danes! Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I forgot to mention.
My first dog. We did not crate train her! She chewed through three floors, madehuges holes right to the wood. She also chewed dry wall to the insulation! She was bad! She chewed through cupboards to grt to the garbage.. learned my lesson after that! Crates are excellent!! And it is certainly.not a jail! They love it!
It gets really scary if you think about the things they *could* have chewed, like electrical cords. Raff took a huge interest in those when he was eight weeks old.

His breeder introduces her puppies to the crate and he shipped in one, so he took to it easily. Once I added the treats and his food in there, it became the world's most valuable real estate.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That is your opinion and in my opinion it is like putting your dog in jail!!! And that is that,, how would you like to be in a little tiny room? It could be positive for yo to, if your jailer was positive, ya. I am 65 years old and have had at least one GSD since I was 21 and I have never crated a one of them and I see absolutely no reason to. With the correct training they will do no damage to your home. I also had some punks try to break into my house and my dog bit the guy and the 2 of them ran off. Sure glad I didn't have him crated because who knows what these guys were up to. I don't want to start a fight but I am positive that their is more than one person who agrees with me and you should start a poll asking that.
I'm sure I wouldn't like being crated. But then, I'm a human, not a direct descendant of the wolf, meant to seek out a den.

Crating feeds right into the dog's natural denning instinct. If you pay attention, you'll probably notice your dogs curling up in corners, under tables and other den like spaces

It's only when we insist on projecting human traits onto our dogs that we misread them badly. Often to the detriment of the dog.

301 - 320 of 361 Posts