• 7 or more straight

Votes: 54 33.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Currently my dogs are in their crates from 7AM to 12PM, then from 1PM to 3PM. But we are going to have to switch and leave them for 9hours straight. So just curious of how long other people leave their dogs.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Mine used to average about 6-8 hours while I was at work, but I live with a roommate now who lets him out a couple hours after I leave for work and only kennels him back up when he leaves the apartment to run errands.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
I'm lucky that I don't have to go out to work so my pup is crated at most 4 hours. Other folks in our club are single and have to work. Their dogs are crated much longer and seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
mine are never in the crate during the day. well one is right now 'cause i caught him with his face in the cat box, he'll be in there for maybe an hour. my wife and i work different shifts. i'm home all day with the dogs. when she gets home from work i go to sleep and she has them. when i go to work she goes to sleep and they are locked in the bedroom.

or they just go to work with her during the day.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Luckily, I work from hime, so the 5 mo old only has to be crated a few hours at a time. My 11 yo doesn't have to be crated at all anymore.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
9 to 10 hrs. a day. Out all weekend. Would not normally do this but he is that kind of dog. Last dog never wad kenneled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9 to 10 hrs. a day. Out all weekend. Would not normally do this but he is that kind of dog. Last dog never wad kenneled.
What do you mean?

I know for sure we could not let our 7month old out in the house, I think he would get into everything. But I think our older dog would be OK. She has never chewed anything in the house. We left her out a few times and watched her using a web cam. She patrolled the house the entire time we were gone. By this I mean she went from door to door, window to window. Never seemed to settle down like she does when she is crated.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I can't vote. My answer would be zero. We use an expen, and he is in there maybe 1 to 2 hours a day.
He also sleeps in there at night, from 10 PM to 6 AM.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My male isn't crated. My 11-month female would probably burn my house down if allowed to roam, so she is crated 8 hours or so while I'm at work. Occasionally I have to stretch to 9 or 10 hours if something comes up at work, but she gets so much work and exercise it doesn't really phase her.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Our dogs are not crated, either. One GSD is 5, the other almost a year and a half. We still have one crate in the bedroom where the older one prefers to sleep, but the door is left open.

The younger dog learned to open his crate door when he was maybe 8 months old, and did fine left free. He's very clever when he wants to be. He was good in the crate, but didn't sleep in it like our other dog does, so we felt he had no need of it and took it down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine are finally uncrated during the day. My GSD is 2.5 years old, and just recently has started being able to handle being uncrated. They are crated at night still though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I wait for the day that Leo (5 month old GSD) can roam free...until then, our el diablo, who ate through 4 beds in the first week (we should have known after 2, right!:) is crated during his nap, which runs @ 2.5-4hrs, once during the day...he will sleep up to 12-14 hrs at night, through the night. The boards are correct when they say puppies are like babies! We have a 14 year old Black GSD, Shane, that has the run of the house and Leo loves his ex-pen during the day.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Never crated our dogs the past. I just recently bought a crate for our 9 month GS and another for 9 year old springer. Springer loves it and sleeps in it all the time. I think he likes to get away from Ruby and have some peace and quiet. Ruby sleeps part time at night. She rather lay down on cool wood floors. I keep the crate doors open, so they can get in and out. And they are in our room. We also have an outdoor fenced kennel that is attached to house that they spend 3-6 hours in a day. One day I forgot to lock access to the house, and we were gone all day. They were both sleeping on the couch when we got home. Ruby was about 7 months at the time. Everything in house was fine. We lucked out.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Depends on the day. But 8-10 hours while I am at work. Free other than that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Ugh. My GSD is crated all day and is let out in the middle of the day to goof off with my son while I'm at work. He flunked his test run at staying out (destroyed drywall) and I'm not sure when we'll test it again. He's fine out with someone and if I fall asleep on the couch, he stays out all night. If I go to bed, then he is either crated or sleeping with my son (when he's home). He can't sleep in the bedroom because my old dog hates him and the master suite is HIS domain.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ugh...He flunked his test run at staying out (destroyed drywall) and I'm not sure when we'll test it again. .
It is good to know there are other dogs that try to "Shawshank" their way out of rooms :) :wild:

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I can't vote.. zero wasn't an option. He gets free range of the house and back yard while we are not home. He is really good and never gets into anything.

When he was under a year, he was crated for 8-10 hours a day, with a potty break in between if I could make it home.

1 - 20 of 361 Posts