German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 week old GSD and we have been keeping up with us at night til around 1am. When I say "up" I mean he is usually sleeping on the floor by our feet or he's chewing on one of his toys. At night we keep him in a kennel until about 7:30. Should we be putting him in his kennel earlier? The reason we've been keeping him with us so late is we like to take him to go potty as late as possible so he won't go in his kennel.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
I do the same thing. I don't crate hr till midnight right after her last potty break. She is normally already napping. I do put her in during the day so she can get some quiet time and nap. She would prefer to be downstairs w/me, but my moving around disturbs her nap. I think as long as she is getting rest it should be fine. I did notice for the 1st month if she didn't get a good nap every couple of hours she would get a little tazzy and hyper. Crating her and her sleeping was like a quick personality update. She became my pretty sweet fun girl again instead of crazy dog. Just like a baby they need their rest lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you feed them after midnight they turn evil.

Dogs dont know time, they learn to adapt to your schedule. I see people saying that their dog wakes them at 5am, thats only because they allow the dog to do that.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
from 4 months old to 8 months old our dog woke one of us
at 4:00 am to go out. we never refused him. at 8 months old
he stopped waking us up at 4:00 am. my dog didn't know it was
4:00 am he was going by his natural clock.

If you feed them after midnight they turn evil.

Dogs dont know time, they learn to adapt to your schedule.

>>>>> I see people saying that their dog wakes them at 5am, thats only because they allow the dog to do that.<<<<<

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine goes to bed between 8-9pm. She had to go out to go potty in the middle of the night until she was about 13-14 weeks. I set my alarms to take her out then. Now at 19 weeks she sleeps through the night. We wake up at 7am.

I should also add my puppy never goes to sleep on her own. She will just play and play forever! If she fell asleep while I was still up I'd probably keep her out of the crate longer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine goes to bed when we do. Usually between 10 and 11... I stop giving him water at around 7 and take him out the last time around 10. I get up at 5.30 to take him out. He will still have an accident some nights, but it is getting better. He is 11 weeks old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 10 week old pup is on our schedule. Wake up around 7am and goes in crate for the night at about 10-1030 after a potty break. Last feeding is around 5pm and water taken away around 8pm.
She wakes up 1-2x during the night for a potty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts