German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Great pics!
105F with the humidity up here but is supposed to get more temperate (90) for the next week. The AC is on, first and last walks of the day are OK, middle 2-3 hikes are shorter, lots of fresh water available. They prefer to drink at the creek where there's a spring 10 feet away and the water is ice cold all Summer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dogs are lazy indoor dogs. Our forays into the heat to use the facilities, or to walk, are not so long we have issues. Well, at least they don't. Having winter dogs in an unusually hot Wisconsin summer is challenging. Mornings our are favorite time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Morning walk to do business followed 20-25 minutes of mix play time in the yard which its still cool and in shade with water available. Few minutes of tug, 2-ball, basic command training indoors throughout the day. Late evening walks of paying lengths based on how it feels. All of this should change soon - it's a surprise.

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
666 Posts
We went on a picnic yesterday. I packed fruits for me and some frozen dog food rolls (cut to pieces) for Fern. Lots of ice water. It was around 6:30pm and 102F. We played some find it games by throwing the cubed frozen dog food around the patchy grass. Fern checks in a lot naturally and prefers to hangout with me on the blanket. Since it was really hot there weren't many humans or dogs outside which is a plus. There was 1 small dog but Fern completely ignored it (training is working!). We enjoyed the quiet moments for an hour or so. One high schooler pointed out to her friend that Fern was a nice dog but looks like a wolf lol.

Sky Dog Plant Carnivore Tree

Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have working AC. Life's easy. Walks are either earlier or later to avoid the heat.
We also have central A/C and set the house for 68F year round. It’s a bit different since we are used to the cold on the Canadian Prairies and 70F was warm for our black GSD (she passed away last year) and 14-23F was a great temperature for winter activity.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Great photos! Today was a really hot and humid day with many small rain storms all day that did not cool it down a bit so dogs kept cool inside.There was one point Luna was on the deck seemingly enjoying the light shower outside . There is much shade outside to keep cool and any outings to get exercise are usually later in the day, and outings to the beaches where they can swim helps cool everyone off. I do wish we had a pool but glad to live close to the water.
max-
Water Sky Dog Vertebrate Beach

Luna-
Water Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed

Water Sky Water resources Fluid Body of water

1 - 20 of 20 Posts