German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warning: long post - hang with me!

Action packed week in Manhattan, Kansas for me and Rollo:
Rollo is around 4.5 months & we went to a lot of brand new places and did a lot of brand new things. For every place we went I made sure he was ready to handle it and we worked on ignoring crazy distractions of everyday life and instead focusing on ME from an appropriate distance...here is what we’ve done so far:

-Fairmont Park (2x) for lots of off leash hiking and swim/play in the river

-Goodnow Park for some hiking in a brand new location

-Warner Memorial Park for some amazing hiking, climbing, and open fields in a brand new location. Rollo and I worked on down position and focusing on me from a distance while other dogs passed by

-Walk around my schools campus (K-State)- learning to ignore the chaos. At every busy crosswalk intersection Rollo waited in down position and refused to break eye contact with me.(I wanted to cry)

-Rollo sat in the grass calmly right next to my car while I aired up my tires at a HyVee gas station!

Rollo climbed on everything he saw this week and did anything I asked without hesitation..it was incredible. What I believe has helped Rollo is the fact that I’ve tried hard to let Rollo be a goofy/dumb/hilarious puppy..I try to make everything we do as fun as possible for both of us, and then when he does something I like, I reward him and let him know. But man, does Rollo seem to be enjoying and more than willing to work for me. Rollo has insane food drive, a DARN good amount of toy drive, and he LOVES tracking activities...I try to use all of these strengths and things Rollo likes for his “training”.
I also bought the book; “Purely Positive Training” and am about half way done. It has some great ideas in it.
Sorry for the long post...just so DARN happy and proud of my guy!

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats awesome that he gets to travel around with you. He sounds like he is turning into an amazing dog!
Thanks - he really is! One of the perks of being a fifth year senior in college is that LESS CREDIT HOURS = Tons of free time!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks like you and Rollo are having a great time!!! We also take Zeus lots of places with us. We like taking him to a few of the downtown areas here in Michigan. Preparing him for bigger places with more people. We love to go to art fairs and festivals and can’t wait to take him with us this summer.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zeus will love the art! And it really starts getting fun when we can take our dogs to places with us and be confident that they can handle it!

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
feel free to brag. Nice that you caught the photos for memories to come

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
It looks like you had a great week that’s what dogs are about making everything more exciting !!! They can even take a dreary visit somewhere and turn that around!!! Great photos!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you al for the kind replies!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
That is such a great thing to be able to really enjoy everything with your GSD. Good work on the training. You and Rollo rock!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is such a great thing to be able to really enjoy everything with your GSD. Good work on the training. You and Rollo rock!
Thank you very much for those kind words. It's an incredible feeling for me to see progress with Rollo - after what *felt* like tons of effort getting me nowhere. Just got to keep pushing I guess !

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Stop neglecting your puppy and get him out more LOL! He's looking really good, glad to hear it's been soo much fun for you both...for me it's always the same. I hear people talking about how trying it is to raise a puppy and cringe, puppies are soo much fun! Rollo is looking great!

Reactions: Chuck94!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stop neglecting your puppy and get him out more LOL! He's looking really good, glad to hear it's been soo much fun for you both...for me it's always the same. I hear people talking about how trying it is to raise a puppy and cringe, puppies are soo much fun! Rollo is looking great!
Thanks Tim! And yea I tried to raise Rollo with lots of structure like the first week or so and soon realized there is probably a problem if I am constantly frusturated & not enjoying my puppy. Also, Rollo seems to have made far more progress from the "all fun" approach. Although that could also just be the fact that he is getting older and (slightly) more mature.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
For me, watching every phase of puppyhood was a delight. They go through it so fast! Enjoy your puppy, he'll quickly become a man, and then it'll be a bit different. Not harder, just different. Different issues, different likes, different behaviors etc., it's all good, but just different. My pup is now 15 months, and I miss the puppy in her already...though she's freaking awesome, she's not quite as playful now. On the other hand, her attention and obedience is off the charts, so I have no complaints >:)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already miss the "younger" puppy in Rollo haha

·
Registered
153 Posts
This makes me really happy to hear! I really love how Rollo is progressing. Keep us updated :) He's such a pretty pup
I don't have a dog (at the moment) so my week has been pretty bland. Can't wait for my girl to come home :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts