German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm wondering how far is too far to walk my GSD puppy?

Samuel is now 18weeks old and we have nice sidewalks and grassy areas and lakes, etc. that are great for walking dogs. i've heard (which could be a bunch of bologna) that you can over-walk a dog and cause him harm, which i obviously don't want, but i also believe that "the walk" is a good way to train your pup, so...

18weeks, how far?
5month,s how far?
6months, how far?
etc. etc. etc.

thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well, I have always been told 5 minutes per month of age and you can do that twice a day. So 30 minutes twice a day at 6 months. Now, that seems like not much at all, but walks are not supposed to be their only exercise anyway. It is more for training and stimulation, IMO. It would be best to allow your puppy off leash somewhere safe so he can set the pace and stop when he feels like it. It is absolutely possible to damage their growing joints if you push them too hard. It's really the repetitive movement on hard surfaces (pavement/cement) that cause the issues.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rollo is 5 months and we do one or sometimes two very short on leash walks a day. Just for the training. The rest of his exercise is off leash!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I let Luna dictate the amount of time if she slows down we go back, i have kept it down to 10 mins so far twice a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts