German Shepherds Forum banner

How far apart in age are your Dogs

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I had 12 yr old Clover when Onyx came home at 7 weeks.
Onyx was 5 months when I adopted 21 month old Kacie. Clover passed at almost 15 yrs of age.
Karlo~ 8 weeks came into the picture when Onyx was 2.5 yrs, Kacie almost 4.
Now Karlo is almost two!! Time sure does fly!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
First we got Chopper, then three years later we got Molly, then eleven years later we got Dodger.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
4 to 5 yrs apart is perfect for me!

Get to raise and focus on training and socializing one and then knowing exactly what I'm adding the new pup to!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
4 to 5 yrs apart is perfect for me!

Get to raise and focus on training and socializing one and then knowing exactly what I'm adding the new pup to!
Indeed! Five years between dogs here! Also works out great in that the younger dog defers to the older dog based on her seniority, so both dogs get along great. Too close in age (like one or two years age difference) would have probably caused constant squabbles for the alpha position, as my older dog likes to think that she is boss.

A new pup needs a lot of one-on-one time for training, bonding, socializing. Having an older dog that is settled means I did not feel too guilty spending more time with the younger one during his first year.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Our two are almost exactly 6 months apart in age. We got Harley at 8 weeks and Annie was about 12 weeks old when we got her. They're both 3, Harley will be 4 in April.
Hopefully the next one will be coming this spring. (yay!)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I marked same age, as Niko and Rosa are just two months apart.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Rocky and Cash were 4.5 years apart, which I consider to be ideal. Soon I'll have a 9-year old and a puppy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
King 7 years, Indy 4 years, Frank 9 months

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I could not vote, I would have to say all of the above.

Babs and Jenna, Tori and Heidi, Milla and Ninja, Baby Beans and Dolly are littermates. Number one, same age.

Joy is 18 months old, and Bear and Beansy are 10 months old, so 6-12 months.

Babs and Jenna, Tori and Heidi, Milla and Ninja are all August litters, so Babs and Tori are 1 year apart, Tori and Milla are 2 years apart.

Odessa is right in the middle between Milla and Tori at three years.

So my eldest were five in August, My next two were four in August, Odessa was three in October, My next two were two in August, Joy was one in July, and the puppies will be one in March.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dexter is 11 months and Luke is almost 5 years old. So, far, they love each other! I hope that doesn't change. Both are neutered, of course.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Beau was 12 when Stark came home (8 weeks) and I don't like how far apart in age they were. Poor Beau took a lot of nonsense when Stark was around.. lol.

Beau lived with my parents (3 hours away) while Stark is with me, so they only saw eachother for a few weeks at a time when either one of us visited.

Stark is 21 months now and I am not yet ready to add another mostly because Stark just isn't ready mentally. He still requires my time and so I will wait another year or just abouts until I think he is "bomb proof" in regards to training. Obviously maintance is required but I want him to have a good solid foundation before I take time away from him and add another puppy.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Pyrate and Raina are almost 5 years apart. I got Raina when I did because I wanted to get a good pup while Pyrate was young enough to put up with puppy antics so we got Raina from Germany at a little over 12 months.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
LK was 9 when we brought Kit home.
LK was 14 and Kit was 5 when we brought Frag home.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts