German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
They LOVE it!

They are not HAPPY until it gets below thirty.

Single digits are just fine with them.

One of the pups, Baby Beans, who has her neck all shaved off (it is growing back now), gets so excited out there, that her favorite thing now is to pin her ears on the side of her head, open her mouth and barrel toward me at full speed. I KNOW she wants to lay me out in the snow!

She can come in any time she likes, and I do catch her napping inside in her x-pen on occasion, but she spends a ton of time outside LOVING it.

Heidi is enjoying LYING in the snow.

Milla lies in the straw in her house.

Joy loves to play with icicles.

Some of them prefer poocicles.

When I open the gate to far field, they BOUND out there, burying their heads and coming up more white than black.

I bring the buggers in at night, they are not all happy to be in, in fact, this morning they woke me up early so they could go back out. Boogers. Today I will bribe them all with marrow bones in hopes of getting a few more hours of shut-eye.

One last thing, Babsy is generally inside, she is my bed-warmer, but she kept putting her COLD paws on me last night!!! It WAS cold last night.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Otto loves the snow but when it's just plain cold like in the 20s he wants inside to cuddle. Some thing about snow that drives him crazy! He runs around like an Arabian horse with his tail and head held high prancing around!!! Snowballs are his favorite....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The more snow the harder Koda plays, shes black and coats herself white. She loves when I feed her snowballs, she opens her mouth way wide to get it all, hallarious. Guess they dont get brain freeze.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Selzer - it was SO cold, but Rem insists on being in the darn crate - nights like that make me miss my Dane! He was like a heat blanket on steroids! Tonight is worse, and the WIND...

Remi acts like it's 70 and sunny out. Weather doesn't faze him at all. Blizzard, 15 degrees, howling wind, sleet - pfft, what snow? He's impervious. And LOVES to romp around with my corgi, Cooper, he could do it for hours. They roll around in the snow, and there I am bundled up like Nanook of the North, 'cause I keep Rem on a 20ft line outside, shivering my youknowwhat off and missing the days when he was 12 weeks old and tired out in 5 minutes...

·
Super Moderator
32,132 Posts
Don't know yet - my dogs have never seen snow! Pretty sure they'd love it though...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Shadow loves it!! He frolicks like a pup, and loves to try and catch snowflakes in his mouth. His favorite thing is when the kids make snowballs and toss them for him. He likes catching and crunching them.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Selzer - it was SO cold, but Rem insists on being in the darn crate - nights like that make me miss my Dane! He was like a heat blanket on steroids! Tonight is worse, and the WIND...

Remi acts like it's 70 and sunny out. Weather doesn't faze him at all. Blizzard, 15 degrees, howling wind, sleet - pfft, what snow? He's impervious. And LOVES to romp around with my corgi, Cooper, he could do it for hours. They roll around in the snow, and there I am bundled up like Nanook of the North, 'cause I keep Rem on a 20ft line outside, shivering my youknowwhat off and missing the days when he was 12 weeks old and tired out in 5 minutes...
Yupp, it has been pretty cold up here. At seven AM, the buggers I carrying on because they want to be OUTSIDE in this nast!

Now I am under two comfortors in my bed, and telling them it is NOT wake up time yet!!! Knowing that I must go out there and freeze my backside and my hands off getting them situated for the day.

They simply love it. They burst out of the door like they are floating on fluffy clouds. I am shivering and trying to open the kennel gates, weild my poo utensiles, and put food down for them.

After all that I have to go back into each kennel with the steaming water bucket and drop some in each bucket. Fun, fun, fun!!!

The little booger, baby beans with her bald neck slipped under the bucket through the gate in front of me, and a big splash of hot water landed smack on her neck. It did not phase her in the least. I told her to go up into the house, she was too happy outside.

·
Registered
798 Posts
No snow for us here, I bet they would love it if they ever saw it! So would I. :crazy:

When the mornings are cooler they act like crazy though.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
So it was -4 yesterday. I got home thinking my lot would be glad to see me and come in.

Nope. They were happy as larks out there. In fact, I have to bring everyone else in and then bring in Dolly or she will stay out FOREVER dancing around in front of their kennels.

One would think they would be making a bee-line to my back door, saying come on old one, let me in. Nope. They are trotting around running through the snow, cavorting, and happy, while I am freezing, and trying to thaw out bolt clips with my bare hands to bring buckets in.

I am glad they have straw and houses, and such. I bring them in at night more for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Remember the scene from "The Neverending Story" where Atreyu can't stop Artex the horse from letting the Swamps of Sadness overtake him and he dies? That's me and my dog walking just one block from my house in the cold. :cry: :rolleyes: :snowing:

The yard isn't so bad.. but he has no interest in being out there for more than a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
My aussies , not so much anymore that they are older, they don't like all the snow sticking to their feet and fur, so awhile outside is enough for them.

Masi on the other hand, would stay out there all day long if I stayed out there with her which I wasn't intending to do since it is FREEZING here..so quite a few quick frisbee trips make her happy at the moment.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Xander and I just got back from visiting Idaho :)

He had a BLAST in the snow! Especially the fresh powder :) It was hilarious watching him bound, plow and bounce his way around in it.

When I went out and played with him in it he seemed to love it if I would "kick" snow at him - he would try to eat it :)

I have some pics but haven't uploaded them yet.

I couldn't believe when it was 20-ish down here in OR and he would go outside and lay on the concrete...apparently he is impervious to the cold.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts